Fordmods Logo

EF and AU after market coils. your options. 

Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: EF and AU after market coils. your options.
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

Recieved my Accel 140036 supercoil today, from what I can tell it is exactly the same as the Screamin Demon 31736. (same last number "36"). The EF harness connector fits onto the coil so hopefully like Grimketel I will have no problems.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1994 Ford EF Fairmont Ghia Sedan

VIC, Australia

keep us updated please :mrgreen:

1994 ford fairmont ghia - Currently 302 with T5 - Work in progress :P

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EB2 Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Has anyone tried one of these yet......I'm keen to get one asap....I just rand Crusing On and they need a part number.....which one will fit EF best without too much fuss???

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

BlkEB2 wrote:
Has anyone tried one of these yet......I'm keen to get one asap....I just rand Crusing On and they need a part number.....which one will fit EF best without too much fuss???

I'm in similar boat... - I hope the lack of feedback doesn't mean this mod proves fatal.

Anyhoo - from what I can make out it looks like the American performance coils fit the loom connectors ok - you just need to get the correct coil according to needing it to fit EF/AU1 or AU2/3 (and BTW the photo in this thread I think has the connectors identified back to front - the one labelled AU is EF and vice versa) - BUT the big problem seems to be with the plug leads - ie. it looks like even AU2/3 leads don't fit at the coil - it needs same ends at the coil as V8 - but the V8 leads aren't correct at the plug end and might be too short as well.

I "think" that's the situation from reading other posts - ie. last I read from wagondad was that he was about to make up a set of compatible leads - but then nada - ie. no further info or feedback on whether it worked or didn't or ran like crap or gave him cancer or whatever...

For what it's worth I'm fitting AU3 coil to my EF sometime in the next couple of weeks - I have an AU3 coil and the connector with several inches of wire - and have confirmed that the wire colours specified in the EF wiring manual match the colours and positions of the wires coming out of the AU3 connector except for one which looks like it's just yellow in the AU3 connector but is specified as yellow/white in the EF connector. Position of the yellow wire in AU3 connector is same as yellow/white in the EF diagram tho - and as I say, the rest match exactly.

I'll be using AU3 plugs and leads as well of course and WILL return to update how it goes.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Last edited by Greenmachine on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:19 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EB2 Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Sounds good....Wot's the go with the AU3 coil, Are they better than EF???

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Falcon AUII XR6 HP

Power: 184 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i have an au2 n the packs from au2 n 3 are the same, but are an upgrade from the series 1 also the leads from mthe series 2 and 3 are different to that of an au1 and prior models! i am currently very interested in this topic as i have been told and shown that the srceamin demon works in au2 and 3 as a direct replacement (but au2 and 3 leads have to be used), but a regap is reqiured to 1.5mm on the plug!

184 rwkw with more to go!

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Raptor1603 wrote:
i have an au2 n the packs from au2 n 3 are the same, but are an upgrade from the series 1 also the leads from mthe series 2 and 3 are different to that of an au1 and prior models! i am currently very interested in this topic as i have been told and shown that the srceamin demon works in au2 and 3 as a direct replacement (but au2 and 3 leads have to be used), but a regap is reqiured to 1.5mm on the plug!

I've been reading that the American coils are not compatible with AU2/3 6cyl plug leads - they take V8 leads fine - but altho the coil ends fit, off the shelf V8 leads are not long enough and their spark plug ends have right angle sockets which don't work well on the 6cyl plugs. The solution is apparently to get long leads with V8 type coil ends on them and cut them to length and fit straight ends to suit 6cyl spark plugs.

All that hassle is why I've chosen to just go with AU2/3 coil on my EF - so I can definitely also use AU2/3 plug leads as well. It just requires a quick splice job to make the connector work and an adapter plate to mount it. Performance increase might not be quite the same as using a screamin demon or similar hipo coil from the US, but hopefully it'll still be a decent upgrade from the stock EF coil and more importantly I hope it'll be more reliable.

Mounting the different coil - ie. messing about with an adapting plate - is something I think you'll find still needs to be done even with those hipo american coils on EF or AU1 - but they should mount ok directly to AU2/3.

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

UPDATE:

OKAY, - I've fitted AU3 Ignition coil to my EF and she runs fine. Haven't done any decent driving yet so can't comment on whether it's running better - but so far certainly not worse.

I simply cut out a plate that sits on the original coil location and bolts to the original holes - and mounted the AU3 coil onto that plate. Need to be aware the two forward holes for the AU3 coil need to be rearward of the web on the eng mount casting. The AU3 coil is attached to the plate with nuts and bolts and then the plate bolted in place where the original coil goes.

Wiring wise, you just match up the colours - cut off the EF connector and splice same colours to same colours from your AU3 connector (only difference in colours is EF yellow/white is equal to AU3 just yellow) - ie. red/green to red/green, yellow/red to yellow/red, yellow/black to yellow black and yellow/white to yellow.

Physically, the POWER wire (red/green) on the AU3 coil is on the opposite side to the other three (signals for each coil) when compared to the EF coil - which confused the bu ggery out of me to begin with - and the wiring diagrams / schematics are NO HELP!! - but then I realised it's simply those other three colours in the same sequence with the earth on different end of the series.

You have to of course use AU3 plug leads - and I've gone to ZGR6B11 plugs - initially with std gap (1.1mm) - but I'll experiment with expanding the gap to 1.3mm in the near future - or just spring for proper AU3 1.3mm plugs (I had the ZGR's in the cupboard). The AU3 leads need to be run the same as AU3 as well - ie. 4, 5 and 6 go where the original EF leads do - ie. up thru between 5 and 6 manifold pipes - and 1, 2 and 3 go up thru the same gap where the oil dipstick goes. For those three front leads just get a couple of AU2/3 lead clip plates from the wrecker and stick them on the rocker cover with black max and you're set.

Next is to figure out exactly what the go is with aftermarket USA coils - ie. the connector is definitely the same but what EXACTLY is the go with spark plug leads compatibility?????!!

EDIT / UPDATE: Going GREAT!! - definitely feels better across the board than it used to - I'm well pleased.

Last edited by Greenmachine on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Cleared to make thread more tidy.

Last edited by Greenmachine on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Update 2:

The red/green is actually power, not earth - ie. the coils are fired by the ECU opening circuit to each coil.

Altho it looks like AU2/3 Coil connector is definitely a straight fit to american V6 coils, I still have no definite idea if AU2/3 plug leads fit onto those American coils... Looks like only way I'll find out is spend $100 to buy one!

I've got an issue with my conversion that I'll hopefully have resolved soon - from day 2 it's run ragged at idle - ie. with a definite miss - but ok everywhere else. Initially I found that wriggling the front set of leads improved the miss - so thought AHA it's leads! I originally used champion AU2/3 leads - so got and fitted Eagle HD leads (lovely made / looking leads) but that didn't fix it.

Other thing of note is that closing plug gaps to less than 1.3mm makes it run MUCH MUCH worse at idle and then you can also feel roughness higher up. That coupled with 2 and 6 plugs looking noticeably slightly dirty whilst the rest are clean as a whistle SEEMS to point at the coil - it is a wrecker special after all (redface)...

Have got a new Delphi coil which I'll fit this weekend.

this is good info for the ef/au boys who want to upgrade, would be even better to see an aftermarket performance coil pack put to the test aswell!

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Last edited by Greenmachine on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Yeah, but I'm real worried my info isn't correct with this bloody miss it's got.

I'm dying to get this new coil in - because I've been assuming I have the coil wired correctly - ie. the AU3 connector to EF loom splice - but I don't know enough about electronics to know for sure! I've assumed that at least surely red/green on both connectors would be power and then the other three would be 1/6, 2/5 and 3/4 couplets allsame the EF pinout - even the colours have matched except for yellow / yellow + white on one of the wires - but without actual physical AU3 pinout info that's indeed just assumption. The biggest assumption has been that if ANY of those 4 wires was out of order it simply wouldn't run - which it does so absolutely fine except under no load - ie. idle (and you can hear it a bit when decellerating).

Once the new coil is in on the weekend I'll at least be able to eliminate that - hopefully by fixing the whole problem. I suppose I shouldn't be posting at all until it's resolved but it's really bugging me.
your coil could very well be shagged, maybe keep playing with plug gap? im sure if it runs and doesnt sound like an absolute dog than youv done most of it right.
maybe try different plugs even.
:)

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Last edited by Greenmachine on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Yeah, that's what I've figured as well - keep in mind that other than initially stumbling when taking off dead cold, it runs absolutely fine everywhere but idle - where it's missing like a SOB - sounds like utter s%$t with 3 inch exhaust! :oops:

I had been under the impression that ZGR6B11's would run ok in what's essentially AU3 application as long as the gaps were opened, but I'm wondering about that too - so might grab some 1GR5C13's tomorrow.

Are you sure that there are no intake air leaks?
To check, spray aerostart on the injectors and across the intake gasket while the engine is running.
If there is a vacume leak, the idle speed will pick up when you spray in that area.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Cleared to make thread tidy.

Last edited by Greenmachine on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next