Fordmods Logo

EF and EL/AU Air Box Lids 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF and EL/AU Air Box Lids
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I got a hold of an EF air box lid as my current one is rather damaged and sleaed with silicone. My current one is either an EL or AU lid but.
Now firstly the EF air box lid seems heavier than my current one.
Then there's also the major difference with the air intake funnel.

Now most of us have read or heard about the AutoSpeed article, and for those that havn't, here's the relevent quote:
Quote:
Ford AU Falcon
This box uses a very large filter having an area of no less than 510 square cm. The inlet to the box is in the lower half, with this duct having a diameter of 80mm. The outlet duct has a moulded-in plastic bellmouth but its outlet ID is only 58mm. However, the outlet assembly unbolts from the airbox revealing that the actual outlet hole can be as much as 80mm in diameter! The lid clips to the base that is heavily curved to match the inner wheel arch area. The box is 380 x 280 x 310mm and costs $58 for the lid and $65 for the tray (new prices from Ford). Clips are used to hold the box together.

The large size of the filter meant that this box flowed quite well, with a filtered cfm rating of 93. However, it's interesting to note that fitting the filter caused a substantial flow drop of 17 per cent.

Flow of box with filter: 93 cfm

Conclusion: Amongst the better airboxes for flow, but see below for how to make a dramatic improvement!

Ford EF Falcon
This box uses the same lower half as the AU Falcon box mentioned above, however the EF lid has a much better integrated exit duct. This duct starts with a well-designed 50mm bellmouth deep inside the lid that grows in diameter to 80mm as it leaves the box. In the photo above, the EF upper half is on the left and the AU on the right. The filter used is the same as the AU, with a 510 square cm area. The box is 380 x 280 x 310mm and the EF lid costs $64 from Ford.

This is a much better flowing design than the AU box. The flow with the filter fitted was 110 cfm, up over the AU box by a very substantial 18 per cent! Even more importantly, the filter caused only a 3 per cent flow decrease, rather than the 17 per cent decrease that occurred when the same filter was fitted to the AU box. This is probably because the outlet duct draws from the centre of the filter rather than one end of the box, in addition to its bigger final diameter. It would therefore appear that swapping an EF lid onto your brand new AU Falcon can improve box airflow by 18 per cent!

Flow of box with filter: 110 cfm

Conclusion: The second-best flowing airbox after the de-snorkled VS Commodore. However, at $24.50 (Ryco), the filters are not as cheap as those for the Holden boxes.

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_0073/article.html

Basically, AutoSpeed compared the two and found the EF with the funnel flows better than the AU one with out it, and the funnel is the only difference between the two.

But what I don't get is how does this work! Surely the funnel is a restriction as it is only around 55mm at the entrence and gets wider as it goes along to exit at almost 80cm.
So basically all the air has to squish in a 55cm circle before it can flow through the rest of the pipe which is also about 80mm big.

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

its the bell mouth & the funnel design. it draws air from the centre & behind the bell mouth opening.

bottom picture in the diagram illustrate the best flow.

Attachments:
concave.jpg
concave.jpg [ 20.53 KiB | Viewed 244 times ]

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:14 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

WA, Australia

Slick wrote:
its the bell mouth & the funnel design. it draws air from the centre & behind the bell mouth opening.

bottom picture in the diagram illustrate the best flow.

none of them represent the shape of an EF inlet tho

if the bottom pic had the bell mouth on the small end it would be the same as an EF

i would say that between the bell mouth shape and the increasing diameter of the tube there would be something like a venturi effect created ... see the top pic above how the airflow has turbulence just inside the inlet? ... well if the diameter is steadily increased as well as a bell mouth added, then there would be a more laminar flow pattern which would allow the air to flow faster in comparison to the other shapes

i've also wondered if something like the vanes on a highclone unit were moulded inside the ducting, which would create a swirling rotation of the air as it flows thru that this also would aid and likely increase the flowrate thru the inlet ducting resulting in better airflow also ... am not about to spend $200 on a highclone unit to find out tho :)

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:31 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

To fix this little debate once and for all, I would like to see them compare the full intake piping (from lid to throttle body) on both EF and EL designs.

I would be willing to bet that the EL design would win.

The EL/AU intake had that small bellmouth incorporated in the lid, and tapers out wider to the first bend. Whereas, as we know, the EF has the bellmouth in the middle of the lid, and the pipe diamatre is the same from the lid on.

Considering the different head characteristics of the EL/AU, I would guess that the shorter length pipe would do a better job. Or maybe it was just cost cutting, but I'm willing to bet lid to pipe outlet, they both achieve the same (EL probably better) flow rates.

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

I've got no interest in seeing the entire set up from including intake piping arm79. most of us don't run stock piping, but still run the stock air box lid. so as far as i'm concerned only comparing the air box lids is relevent.
but i do get what your saying!

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

that part of the auto speed artical answers the question.

it's the funel/bellmouth drawing air from the center of the box.
take a look at a half dirty filter from an EF and an EL or AU. and note where the bulk of the dirt is.

but it hardly matters why. it's been flow bench proven.

if you are worried about the size of the funel in the EF box, cut it out and get a bit of 3 inch pipe the same length and have a bellmouth flared onto the end of it. most exhaust shops should be able to do it with the pipe bender.
and fit that to it

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
that part of the auto speed artical answers the question.

it's the funel/bellmouth drawing air from the center of the box.
take a look at a half dirty filter from an EF and an EL or AU. and note where the bulk of the dirt is.

but it hardly matters why. it's been flow bench proven.

if you are worried about the size of the funel in the EF box, cut it out and get a bit of 3 inch pipe the same length and have a bellmouth flared onto the end of it. most exhaust shops should be able to do it with the pipe bender.
and fit that to it
bang on. remembering to tapper it like a bell or follow the diagram at the bottom of pic above. you could also get a 3' bellmouth from ebay. I think they come with one of those aluminium flexible intake hose.

Tickford_6 why not make one with the first sample intake pipe you're doing up. then include bell mouth as an extra. a photo of the pipe, airbox & funnel showing the first product. :idea: $$$

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Last edited by Slick on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ef Falcon

QLD, Australia

i dunno about the theory about the bellmouth pipe in the ef airbox flowing better hey...

i chopped most of the baffles out of my ef's intake, and cut the rubber bellhouseing/tube thing and left about half the diameter of the end, and tapered the rest down a coupla inches.

i can post photos tomorrow arvo if you'd like

in terms of power/response, i think i got a bit better throttle response but nothing earth shattering

not really worth the coupla hours i spent cutting out the baffles but hey i was bored, in rockhampton and broke.

what else ya gonna do? :P

but i spose the guru's at ford musta put the bellmouth pipe in for a reason

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

captaincrayon wrote:
but i spose the guru's at ford musta put the bellmouth pipe in for a reason

well that is the thing, considering how many EF's were made the cost of making and fitting the inside tube would be quiet significant and makes me wonder about what there reasopn was - they must have one!!

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

captaincrayon wrote:
i dunno about the theory about the bellmouth pipe in the ef airbox flowing better hey...

reason

lucky it's not theory then.. flowbench doesn't lie

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ef Falcon

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
captaincrayon wrote:

reason

lucky it's not theory then.. flowbench doesn't lie

thats very true :) i am just going by the seat of the pants dyno after all

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hey people, anyone whos had tried these methods out, please speak up and thats great info.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:24 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

If they had actually tested the el lid with the strut tower pipe attached to the lid it would have flowed exactly the same as the EF lid.

Think about it the EF lid funnel is 55mm and goes out to about 75mm. So they tested airbox lid output at 75mm.

The El lid output put is 55mm which is where they tested it from, if they had left the strut tower pipe attached and measured it from the 75mm section the results would nearly be identical.

Both the EF internal pipe and El external pipe are tapered up from 55mm to 75mm. With the difference being one inside and one out with the EL tapered pipe being much longer so as to increase bottom end torque(air velocity is improved at low revs)

That autospeed test doesn't factor in any of this.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

falcon4litreOHC, since alot of us are removeing the factory piping and replacing with custom aftermarket, the EF air box lid is therefor a better choice as that way you will retain your taper.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SS-INDUCTIONS-COLD-AIR-Suit-EF-EL-NF-NL-DF-DL-6cyl_W0QQitemZ4650625725QQcategoryZ102349QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next