ef camshaft timing 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: ef camshaft timing
Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

hi all my camshaft timingis out by a notch can someone tell me how to fix it????

Post subject: Re: ef camshaft timing
Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

if you don't know the terminology, a photo sure as hell would help... And if it's out by a notch, can't you just adjust it a notch to compensate?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
if you don't know the terminology, a photo sure as hell would help... And if it's out by a notch, can't you just adjust it a notch to compensate?

Cheers,
Tim

Can you do it by taking the rocker cover off and adjusting the camshaft timing?

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You didn't answer my question...

Firstly, why do you think it is out of time? They don't just jump teeth...

Is the cam a custom cam that is meant to run there? Does it have a vernier gear? Did someone advance or retard the cam to change the power band?

There's a lot to account for before chopping and changing for the sake of a whim where you think it's out of time but don't know what the parts are call you're talking about? :?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Presumably the car is acting clearly as tho the cam is a tooth out? - perhaps a mechanic or someone with some knowledge has said so??

Yes you can move the chain along on the cam gear by one tooth with the rocker cover off - you need to relieve the tension a bit and then sort of "walk" the chain along the gear - sort of in a wave motion - have a fiddle with a pushbike to try and picture what I'm talking about. The trick is mentally picturing properly which way the chain needs to go.

To relieve the tension you might be lucky and be able to just push back the tensioning guide with a big screwdriver or bar of some sort - hell you might be able to just grab the chain and do it! - OR you might need to mess about taking the middle bung out of the tensioner housing and using an allen key to lock the tensioner in it's compressed position - or at least rotate it slightly so it can be pushed back from the chain side a bit - ie. if the pretension notches are engaged or even close to being engaged you won't have much movement - but if the tensioner is turned somewhat the other way toward being locked compressed then you'll have a fair bit.

If it has an Adjustable cam gear then again yes you can do it by taking off the rocker cover - there'll be small bolts on the front of the gear that you loosen (might need to use a cut down allen key - to use a normal one you'll be needing to rotate the engine to bring the bolt heads up to the top where you can reach them) and then the outer part will rotate a certain amount differentially to the inner part - BUT - it's simply a sliding slot adjustment - ie. those bolts are in slots - NOT a step by step or "notch" type adjustment - so you really need to be using some sort of setting measurement to adjust it. Normally that's done by using a dial indicator off the No. 1 Inlet rocker arm to set a certain amount of movement (valve lift) as the engine is brought up to TDC #1 - ie. mine is 0.039" at TDC1 IF you have an adjustable gear that's somehow loosened and slipped full one way which is causing driving issues then you can try just centering the slots - which in theory should more or less set it similar to a std gear - which might get u out of trouble.

For what it's worth in an ED I've run the std cam advanced one tooth (std gear) and found it was fantastic for around town - ie. up to 100kph - made the car VERY responsive and gave fantastic fuel economy - but over 100 forget about trying to accelerate (ie. no power above 4000rpm - pretty much as u'd expect). The car felt very much like a good VN Commondung... Going the other way did NOT make as great a top end vs bottom end difference - ie. bottom end felt very sick, but top end didn't feel very much if any different to normal.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yes a mechanic told me its out and i looked at the markings can i advance it at all? also its leaking from the timing seal is this hard to fix? and possibly from the back of the water pump somewere???

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

The setting for correct timing should be with No.1 cylinder on TDC compression stroke there'll be a dash mark on the passenger side of the cam gear that sits either level with or a tad higher than the edge of the head (manuals say something like up to 3mm above the edge).

If the car is feeling sluggish and it IS the cam timing a tooth out then I'd say it must be retarded - so you should see that mark sitting somewhat higher above the edge of the head - ie. a tooth width ie. maybe a cm?

As far as advancing it goes, all I can say is you could try it and see what happens - keep in mind I was doing that with an ED - and also keep in mind that as much as it might improve bottom end it'll make it c rap above 100kph - ie. forget about any grunt over 3500 to 4000rpm. My feeling was that for taxis that change would be absolutely fantastic - ie. great savings in fuel.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]