ef different to el head? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: tcky?
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:00 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF futura 96

QLD, Australia

yeah likewise, I'd like to fully believe the jmm article and think mine is a tickford unit but there's conflicting evidence on this thread?

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:50 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

JMM is wrong.

Tickford heads (indeed all parts) have a T in the part number, and in the case of the head, there's a big Tickford 'T' embossed on it too. Hard to miss, and hard to fake.

If it doesn't have the big 'T' it's a stocker.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:17 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF futura 96

QLD, Australia

ok thanks, it was a StreetMachine Ford article so it looks like they didnt confirm their facts and just printed what Jmm said in their interview...

Post subject: Re: ef different to el head?
Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AU II XR6 UTE

Just gonna bring this article up again.

We've just pulled an engine out of a late 1998 EL fairmont ghia and the head is a 94AB! (and no big T)
Now, from what I know the fairmont ghia's came out with tickford head. The rocker cover is also tickford red. The owners we bought it from had it from new?
From other other posts I have deduced this was apparently the best flowing head - but why would it come out on this model if it was supposed to be a tickford?

On a slightly different topic, I've been told the 'T' represented a Variable cam timing option which was also optional before the AU. But I've never heard or read that? The guy is fairly knowledgeable about falcons, so i'm not just rejecting it outright.

2001 AU II XR6 HP LIQUID SILVER UTE

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

drewh wrote:

We've just pulled an engine out of a late 1998 EL fairmont ghia and the head is a 94AB! (and no big T)
Now, from what I know the fairmont ghia's came out with tickford head. The rocker cover is also tickford red. The owners we bought it from had it from new?
From other other posts I have deduced this was apparently the best flowing head - but why would it come out on this model if it was supposed to be a tickford?

On a slightly different topic, I've been told the 'T' represented a Variable cam timing option which was also optional before the AU. But I've never heard or read that? The guy is fairly knowledgeable about falcons, so i'm not just rejecting it outright.

i could be wrong, but late EL should have the hybrid engine in it i think. check the engine number, i think it should be the same as the VIN, if not its had an engine change. if it is, id say it has cracked thehead at some point and replaced with a standard one.
And ive never heard of VCT for E series.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

drewh wrote:

The T cast into the head was to differentiate a Tickford head, nothing more.
And no, there was never a VCT option from factory prior to the AU series. However I have heard of a few people building a DOHC head for an E series, and there may have also been someone bright enough to build a VCT option as well. But definately not factory.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:40 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

1) We've just pulled an engine out of a late 1998 EL fairmont ghia and the head is a 94AB! (and no big T). Now, from what I know the fairmont ghia's came out with tickford head. The rocker cover is also tickford red. The owners we bought it from had it from new?
A) They have had an exchange head put on at some timef. All EL Ghias were fitted with a Tickford head.

2) From other other posts I have deduced this was apparently the best flowing head - but why would it come out on this model if it was supposed to be a tickford?
A) 94AB is claimed to be the better flowing standard head other than the Tickfords. As said earlier, The head has been replaced at some time.

3) On a slightly different topic, I've been told the 'T' represented a Variable cam timing option which was also optional before the AU. But I've never heard or read that? The guy is fairly knowledgeable about falcons, so i'm not just rejecting it outright.
A) T = Variable Cam Timing, s**t. The T represents Tickford. VCT was never an option on Factory Released E Series cars for the public. My advice about your "fairly knowledgeable about falcons" guy is, Don't listen to him. If this is his level of knowlege about Falcons/Fords then he is an idiot.

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: ef futura/ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:

1) We've just pulled an engine out of a late 1998 EL fairmont ghia and the head is a 94AB! (and no big T). Now, from what I know the fairmont ghia's came out with tickford head. The rocker cover is also tickford red. The owners we bought it from had it from new?
A) They have had an exchange head put on at some timef. All EL Ghias were fitted with a Tickford head.

2) From other other posts I have deduced this was apparently the best flowing head - but why would it come out on this model if it was supposed to be a tickford?
A) 94AB is claimed to be the better flowing standard head other than the Tickfords. As said earlier, The head has been replaced at some time.

3) On a slightly different topic, I've been told the 'T' represented a Variable cam timing option which was also optional before the AU. But I've never heard or read that? The guy is fairly knowledgeable about falcons, so i'm not just rejecting it outright.
A) T = Variable Cam Timing, s**t. The T represents Tickford. VCT was never an option on Factory Released E Series cars for the public. My advice about your "fairly knowledgeable about falcons" guy is, Don't listen to him. If this is his level of knowlege about Falcons/Fords then he is an idiot.

couldn't agree more there paul too many dh's out there that know stuff all about falcons

custom airbox,custom intake
paccie comps,lukey 2.5 cat back,high flow cat
CMS stg2 head,CMS stg2.A. cam,CMS hybrid auto with mod shift,3.9 lsd
custom 3500rpm hi stall
ANZ mayhem 18's,custom interior,venom body kit,xr wing,jumbo 2' low springs
143rwkw and 407rwnm on CMS dyno

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2