Fordmods Logo

EF dizzy 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: EF dizzy
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Falcon GLi sedan

NSW, Australia

I know it is not called a distributor but I do not know the right name. I need to find out how to set the timing on a EL motor fitted with EF ignition system. The original EL distributor is out and the EF item is yet to be installed. I need a step by step guide if anyone can help. The EL motor is in an EF GLi sedan, my ride. I also have to change the harmonic balancer and the notched wheel behind it. CAS?

Post subject: Re: EF dizzy
Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Hi Graham. The part you are refering to is the synchroniser or CMP sensor. It tells the ecu if number 1 cylinder is on compression stroke or exhaust. The alloy outer body of the synchroniser can only go in one way as dictated by the notch in the bracket(about 9:30 as viewed from the inlet manifold. The electrical sensor on top will be similar to the diagram about 5:00) but the inner shaft can go in a number of positions. To get the synchroniser correct, first we need to put number 1 cylinder on tdc on the compression stroke. The easiest way is to put your finger over number 1 spark plug hole and feel for air pushing your finger off the hole. If this occurs, you are on compression stroke (you can align the harmonic on tdc using the timing mark).

Once you have the engine at top dead centre, get a 4mm dowl or drill bit and locate into the small hole in the side of the synchroniser (you will have to rotate the gear at the bottom of the cmp sensor until it is located). Next put the synchroniser (CMP sensor) into the dizzy hole just slightly clockwise (20 degrees) from where you want it to finish (bracket notch lined up with web on synchroniser). Push the synchroniser down and you will note the whole unit will rotate anti clockwise. The unit may stop just short of going all the way in. This is because the oil pump drive shaft isn't lining up with the hex hole in the synchroniser. I found the easiest way to overcome this is to use a socket on the harmonic and rotate the engine backward and forwards close to tdc until it drops down. If you have the synchroniser correct, the EF bracket should bolt in place. If the bracket doesn't line up, you maybe 1 tooth out so you'll need to try again. I have included a basic picture showing a locating pin tool but the 4mm drill bit (ground down to avoid fowling on the block) does the trick.

You will also have to transfer your crank sensor to the front of the timing cover and fit the cover plate over the top. As you said use harmonic from EF with the 36-1 tooth wheel so your ecu has crank pulses.

Attachments:
Synchroniser.jpg
Synchroniser.jpg [ 27.71 KiB | Viewed 236 times ]

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:50 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

I found this in my manual. Better written than my version.

Attachments:
Synchroniser procedure.jpg
Synchroniser procedure.jpg [ 31.4 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:44 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Falcon GLi sedan

NSW, Australia

Hey Alfy, effort appreciated. Clear concise set of instructions in both instances. I have an EL manual which is completely useless when it comes to EF ignition. Thanks

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford EF - Garret TO4Z

TAS, Australia

Thank you so much

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]