Post subject: Re: ef down on power
Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Might be worth chucking it on the dyno and getting it tuned

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Tricky... All you can do is keep checking things.

A good idea might be to get error codes pulled.

Are you able to tell if it's chuffing black smoke when you get up it? - ie. have someone tail you to check for that (getting it checked on a dyno would be ideal but $$$).

I'd definitely do a compression check - and making sure the cam phase sensor is set properly certainly couldn't hurt - tho I don't think it actually has any effect on ignition curve as such.

Maybe check the BBM linkage is operating properly - and that it's pulling to fully closed when the engine starts - ie. has the stop bracket ended up being bent during installation etc?

After that you could check the cam is set properly on factory marks - and as I mentioned you could try chucking a known cam into it and see how it reacts (tho if it was apparently going ok in the previous car...) - but otherwise it's gonna be down to process of elimination - doing things like trying a different fuel pressure regulator, different injectors, maybe different knock sensor etc. etc.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Have you checked the fuel pump? It might be on its way out and not giving enough pressure. Although you can check that using a fuel pressure gauge (if you have one or can borrow one).

You said you had your injectors lying around? I'd suggest you find good working injectors and see how that goes. Leaving injectors lying around without some sort of cover can introduce grit into the injectors...injector cleaners won't remove grit such as sand/dirt easily compared to gummed up ones due old fuel.

Pull the rocker cover off and rotate the engine via the balancer to see if you can find a stamp along the cam. If not, use a mirror to see if you can see a stamp on the back end of the cam. If that proves fruitless, you'll have to remove the cam chain tensioner and remove the cam sprocket to see if there is a stamp on the front.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

TPS might be worth a try too - altho again if it was ok in the other car then it's grasping at straws.

Is the ecu the one out of the other car? - if it isn't - and maybe even if it is anyway - then could be a definite good idea to try another one.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:33 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1987 telstar/2004 BA XR6 5spd

NSW, Australia

thank you so much for your help guys, ill pull the injectors out and throw a set of clean AU ones i have in, ill re-seat the cam sensor right, change fuel filter, get a mate to check fuel pressure, pop my auto ecu in and give that a try as well...and ill take a gander at the cam at some point....i have a 96 or 97 ef fairmont ghia auto ecu laying around...will that work in my 95 ef futura? im pretty sure it has a ticky tune so ill give that a try if it will work, if not ill go back to the original auto ecu and see if that dose anything :)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2