EF-EL exhaust removal for a newbi 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EF-EL exhaust removal for a newbi
Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ford falcon futura

NSW, Australia

can some one give me basic instructions on how to remove a stock exhaust on a E series and the tools required?

Post subject: Re: EF-EL exhaust removal for a newbi
Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Undo all the nuts and bolts then put it out of the hangers (use some oil). You will probably need to cut it behind the rear muffler where it goes over the diff as likely will have rusted and are too much of a pain to pull apart (originally 2 piece from memory).

Ring spanners or open enders depending on the weld is all you should need.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

the exhaust im removing will be going on my EF futura and i dont know how to weld and have no welding gear...so cutting anything is probably out of the question for me atm,

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

NSW, Australia

Depending on the car you getting the exhaust off, you could use a hammer instead of cutting behind the muffler. They can be a pain but with patience it can be done. Due to not having any welding equipment or experience you could also cut the exhaust if needed in front of the muffler then go to and exhaust shop and get a couple of clamps and a slip joint to suit.

If you can though take the rear bumper off, the rear wheel, shock and spring and get the side of the car as high as you can and you could remover the exhaust from the cat back in 1 piece. Only problem with that is it takes alot longer and and fiddley espacially if your doing the job by yourself.

No matter which way you go you will need jack, stands, spanners/sockets/rachet, hammer, WD40 or similar maybe box cutter/stanley knife.

Also grab a tube of exhaust sealant, gasket/s and exhaust rubbers because the exhaust rubbers are know for being crap so always good to have extras just in case.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

thank you for all your help, i had a go at removing my current one but wasnt able to reach all the bolts as im unable to jake the car up safely...

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:06 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1997 Ford El Falcon Gli Wagon

SA, Australia

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but for anybody looking up how to do this, it might help.

I jacked up the back end on the exhaust side on my EL Falcon wagon and placed an old wheel (steel rim a.k.a "Stocky") under the rear tyre. Then I chocked in front and behind the wheels on the side opposite the exhaust. Then I removed the jack, allowing the rear wheel to rest on the rim about 25cm off the ground. Repeat for the front wheel and keep the jack high enough at the front end so that if one rim breaks, the jack might help save you. My advice is, get a good adjustable wrench to undo those two small bolts on the "U clamp" that joins the mid section and the tailpipe together.

It worked for me. I had to jack it up on soft grass, so I used a large square cement paver under the jack, which not only helped the weight on the jack distribute evenly through the ground, but it also lifts the car about 4cm higher to start with, so you don't have to spend as long jacking the car up. :)

Ride: '97 EL Falcon GLi Wagon
Mods: 2.5" Redback catback, 6000k HID, Blue LED Trip Computer, Blue LED dash, LED Audi Style Parker Lights, Footwell Lighting, White interior door handles with fade in and out with parker lights, Fairlane rear courtesy lamp.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]