Fordmods Logo

EF/ELs vs Same era Magnas 

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

i think i ca straighten a few more things out for u guys ..

VRX's r actually one of the heaviest type of magna along with the ralliart ... they aint light compared to sports, execs etc

VRX's r FWD up until the 2004 where SOME came out AWD .... HOWEVER they dyno at something like 95-100 atws and only come in tipronic auto so u cant actually do u proper awd start which sucks majorly

there r also 2003 AWD's but they r just AWDs not vrx awds ...

95 magna is actually a second gen magna their 3L's are about 95 atws.

from what i have seen on magna dyno gays STOCKERS get about

3L's 100 atws
3.5L's 110-115
VRX's 115- 120
ralliarts 120-125
AWD's 100

thats a very generall look at it as every dno is slightly differnet ...dont think im trying to big the magnas up or nothing though... ive just had alot of experience with them

mine personally is 130 and sloghtly has it over rb20's ( r32's /cefiro's ) and seems to have it over XR6 SLIGHTLY till 80 and then it seems to pull back but havnt back.. but havnt dragged past that speed against a ford so i cant say

ODD ONE OUT :P

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Yeah not only do dyno tell different tales but these rwkw or atw figures everyones always so keen to look at.

There are heaps of big production cars that have huge kw ratings that dont mean too much.

Eg: The 300kw clubsports can be beaten by way lower and older falcon, commy whatever without spending heaps.

Same with power to weight blah blah ive seen commys and ef beat 96 magnas stock yet from what u said above the magna almost had the same if not more power

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Not havin a crack at u either fnfat6 :wink:

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:41 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

yeah i know what u mean .... that power rating was FWKW's ... these were all done on the same day at graham west dyno ( his dyno is used in adelaide auto salon)

dyno readings can be unreliable but on the same day with same weather conditions a mates VU ute got 164 atws with a exhaust, an r32 skyline stock on 7 pound got 120 ....... i ges thats a good way to gauge it.

also as u said power to weight comes into it aswell not to mention FWD launch versus RWD launch ... LSD... tyres and of course driver skill

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I pay very little attention to peak power figures when comparing cars.

I'm more interested in the entire power and torque band.

I had a Triumph TR7 V8 which was sold about 4 months ago. It only had 90 rwkw, but it would keep up with most cars with much bigger rwkw figures. In fact, just before I sold the car, I dragged a worked VH V8 off the line. This car probably had double the rwkw that my little TR7 had, yet @ 70km/h I was 4 car length ahead of him.

The reason? Well, aside from the fact that it weighed in @ 1000kg without driver, was 5 speed manual and had a 3.9 diff, it had bucket loads of torque which kicked in very early.

In 3rd gear, this car has 477nm of torque at the back wheels which peaked @ 2568 RPM!

Even the I6's, as torquey as they are, don't get their peak torque until about 3200 RPM from memory, V6 Commonwhores don't see their torque till 3800 RPM. A lot of the Jap cars won't see peak torque till well over 4000 RPM.

Just on a side note, if you really want a quick car, try driving an old TR7 V8 with a 5.2L N/A V8 churning out 260kW @ the flywheel. They can very easily be made into a sub 5 sec car.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

I wouldn't take on a V6 magna in an auto i6 falcon.
I have a few runs with magnas, and beaten them, but i have a 5 speed.

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: '97 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

A mates '01 Magna has a pretty good record of beating EF/EL Fords in town... it's slightly modded with exhaust and lowered but it has beaten a stock auto EF XR6, a EL with extractors and zorst and a stock auto EL XR6. plus a few modded VR/S, VT v6. I still have to race him to see how my manual goes against it. Just worried that if I lose then Fords lose respect. But I know I have the better top end after a cruise last week but the speed limiter pulled me up and he kept going to 200.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yeah i love the feel of the XRs in the higher rev range in 2nd gear....yeah im sure he will b**ch smack me off the mark but after abit i dont think he will have anything.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:01 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

As much as i hate magnas (used to own one and it fell apart), i have a mate with i think a 2001 verada, and against my stock standard EF, we were pretty much even off the lights, had our mirrors touching all the way

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yeah manual magnas go pretty hard. Last time I was out at the drags I saw one run a mid 14 second quarter and I was pretty suprised. Stiff competition for the NA 6 falcon, and even more embarrasing to alot of V8s!

If it wasn't for them being FWD I would have probably bought one back when I was in the market (putting questionable looks and their heritage aside)

ImageImage

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:47 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

wow im fair suprised how much respect u guys give the magnas .......... is this really a ford forum lol ...

how do u guys go against stock r32's ? most of my mates have imports so i cant say i have given to many falcons a run ....generally assuming i can grab traction ( even with 18's 235's its hard in a FWD) i will be slightly quicker than a 32 start to pull away at higher speeds, though stock 32's rnt nothing quick

id be really interested for commo, magna falcon, NA 6 drag day hehe would be fun and VERY interesting

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:55 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

VIC, Australia

hmmm those magnas arent nuthin to laugh at. my mate got a 98 magna sportz but its a 3.0 not a 3.5 and manual trans, full exhaust, filter etc. he took me for a spin and nailed it... i went quiet :oops: :shock: it pulled hard as!!! was so smooth too. even up towards redline it sounded so smooth! ill have to drag him one day.. i reckon i got some competition there

Past: 150rwkw 5spd EF Futura - 4499's, 2.5" exh, Intake, Filter, Wade 1636, Head and Valve Work, Raised Comp.

Present: 5spd AUIII XR6 VCT Ute - 4480's, 2.5" exh, Tickford Intake, Pod in Box.
coming soon: 3.9:1 diff, Flashtune.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:18 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

magnas peak power is 5500 rpm they dont rev out really well .... thats a down side ....... if i shoft past 5500 rpm u cant feel the car dying wth no torq lol

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:44 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

VIC, Australia

yea. the vr-x is all wheel drive. and its got the 3.5 v6

Past: 150rwkw 5spd EF Futura - 4499's, 2.5" exh, Intake, Filter, Wade 1636, Head and Valve Work, Raised Comp.

Present: 5spd AUIII XR6 VCT Ute - 4480's, 2.5" exh, Tickford Intake, Pod in Box.
coming soon: 3.9:1 diff, Flashtune.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next