Fordmods Logo

EF Engine into EL 

Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: EF Engine into EL
Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:38 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Vibe BA XR6

How much harder is it banging an EF engine in an EL without adding a dizzy?

What other things do I have to change If I dont add a dizzy? (If anything)

First time doing a project with a car so learning as I'm going along. Got a wrecked EF ghia thats motor and box I'm planning to put in to an EL falcon I just picked up.

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

SupeR wrote:
How much harder is it banging an EF engine in an EL without adding a dizzy?

What other things do I have to change If I dont add a dizzy? (If anything)

First time doing a project with a car so learning as I'm going along. Got a wrecked EF ghia thats motor and box I'm planning to put in to an EL falcon I just picked up.

Pain in the a***, need to run ALL the EF looms and BEM and ECU, and I see no benifet, not hard to fit a dissy, and it will have adjustable ignition timing, and run better and be cheaper when a coil dies etc.I've never had issues just dropping a dissy straight in to an EF or AU engine, bolts straight in and works fine. In my opinion, an EF engine and an EL engine are EXACTLY the same other than one has a dissy and one doesnt, unless you are talking late EL which is a Hybrid AU motor.

Just my 2c
Gab

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:52 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gab1 wrote:
Pain in the a***, need to run ALL the EF looms and BEM and ECU, and I see no benifet, not hard to fit a dissy, and it will have adjustable ignition timing, and run better and be cheaper when a coil dies etc.I've never had issues just dropping a dissy straight in to an EF or AU engine, bolts straight in and works fine. In my opinion, an EF engine and an EL engine are EXACTLY the same other than one has a dissy and one doesnt, unless you are talking late EL which is a Hybrid AU motor.

Just my 2c
Gab

Cheers. So if I add a dizzy then I can just bolt it straight over pretty much? Anything else Il have to adjust/change? (Its a tickford Ghia or w/e they were, though I doubt that matters)

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

The only other part you might want to change is the timing cover. The EF timing cover only has the TDC mark on it. Otherwise, if you're using a timing light you'll have to guess where 10 degrees BTDC is (or whatever the workshop manual specifies).

I bypassed that problem by using a J3 chip & engine mods.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:33 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Shortshift wrote:
I bypassed that problem by using a J3 chip & engine mods.

How easy was that? what mods did you do? what would be the most basic I could go? I had a look up on the chips and saw I could get it pre xr6 tuned and theyl know its going in to an EL.

Will I need to change the harmonic balancer?

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
The only other part you might want to change is the timing cover. The EF timing cover only has the TDC mark on it. Otherwise, if you're using a timing light you'll have to guess where 10 degrees BTDC is (or whatever the workshop manual specifies).

After reading Troyman's info on Deff's other thread about EL engines, my post is incorrect if you use an EL ECU with EA-EDs. Troy mentioned that the EL ECU alters the timing advance at idle and hence there's only one timing mark required (which is TDC).

As for the J3 chip, I plugged it in an EL Auto GLI ECU with a ELXR6 Manual tune. From there, the tuner fiddled with the settings while being dynoed. Make sure you get a 256k J3 and not the earlier 64k J3. I've still got a flat spot between 2500-3000 rpm which the tuner can't easily fix. Something to do with parameters(?).

I used an EL harmonic balancer because the engine was being rebuilt. If you're not using a coil pack, there's no need to change your balancer (unless it's stuffed).

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:10 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Cheers for the reply, seems that will be the way I'l go.

Does the addition of the chip mean that there is no need to add a dizzy?

If so then wont I have to change balancers?

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

SupeR wrote:
Does the addition of the chip mean that there is no need to add a dizzy?

Yup. As you've got an EF, the J3 can be used to overide the standard fuel & ignition timing settings in the ECU. Definitely no need for a dizzy. Have you got an aftermarket cam & other mods? If the engine is stock, there's not much point adding the J3 (unless adding a turbo/supercharger).

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:11 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Not yet, though if it means avoiding the addition of a dizzy then Im up for it... I could then have it properly tuned later on couldn't I, If needed?
http://www.tiperformance.com.au/products.html wrote:
A J3 chip pre-programmed with a stock tune.

This can be used to replace the program of any compatible ECU with another; for example, an Auto ECU into a Manual, standard ECU into Tickford XR6, standard into Tickford LPG, etc etc. Good as an alternative to finding a rare XR6 Manual ECU when doing a manual conversion, for example.

And as Im putting a Tickford Ghia (I could run it as the XR6 ecu couldn't I?) In to a El gli that would be perfect wouldnt it(For ease)?

Also I couldn't find anything on adding a dizzy to an EF engine :S

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

As you've quoted, the J3 is OK for converting the GLi ECU tuning to XR6 tuning. The cost of the chip & tuning will be more than Tickford ECU. But then, if you're planning to use a big aftermarket cam, the J3 will be necessary.

You won't find any posts about putting dizzys in EF engines. A lot of people are using the AU engine as a replacement for the E-Series now. I used an EF engine to replace my MPFI EA engine as they were cheaper than the AUs at the time.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Orded a J3. Was told I will need to add a dizzy though. Any idea where I can find info on doing that?

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:00 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

what car do you have???
are you trying to put an ef engine into an el or a el engine into a ef?????

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ef Engine into an EL.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:26 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

well you just remove the dizzy from the el engine and fit it to the ef engine..

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
well you just remove the dizzy from the el engine and fit it to the ef engine..

Ditto that. Sorry SupeR, I was being a doofus and confusing your ride with the initial question. :roll:

Have you got an EF/EL repair manual to refer to? You'll need to align the TDC mark on the harmonic balancer with the one on the timing case. No. 1 piston should be on the compression stroke. If the synchroniser can be swapped for the dizzy, without rotating the crankshaft, it should be straightforward. The dizzy rotor should be pointing to the 'Start' position (which is marked on the dust cover that dizzy cap sits on).

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next