Fordmods Logo

EF Engine Mounts 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: EF Engine Mounts
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that.

I must be a masochist because I still can't resist trying to do it myself.

I asked at New Oak Ford and they quoted my about $600

I'll let you know how much hair I lose in the process.

The Duck

Intestinal (Admiral Duck) EF Fairmont tows the boat like no other

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:37 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
The hydraulic ones end up buggerin up internally, and then the engine feels like its bolted in solidly.
If I remember the EL low models had the rubber ones, and the higher ones, ( fairlane & ghia's ) had the hydraulic ones.

You remember wrong.

The solid rubber mounts were a very late EL to mid AU1 thing. Even very late EL Fairmont Ghias and NL Fairlanes got these rubber mounts. They eventually reverted back to the silicone mounts in the later AU's.

I believe the EF's had some sort of a hydraulic mount, wheres they were changed to a silicone filled mount in EL. I think there were too many failures in the EF mounts, so they changed the design.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
The hydraulic ones end up buggerin up internally, and then the engine feels like its bolted in solidly.
Exactly, I just changed my hydraulic ones to AU, the only problem with the AU ones is the nut to clamp it to the base fouls the E series K frame, the solution is to install a thinner nut with locktite. I only noticed a problem with them after the manual install, the car is a lot smoother with the new mounts on and the shudder in reverse is almost gone.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 95 EFII Futura Wagon

NSW, Australia

arm79 wrote:
I think there were too many failures in the EF mounts, so they changed the design.

From what I understand it was to cut costs in the EL, the same reason they ditched the coil packs and went back to a dizzy.

"My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:27 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

falcondave wrote:
arm79 wrote:
I think there were too many failures in the EF mounts, so they changed the design.

From what I understand it was to cut costs in the EL, the same reason they ditched the coil packs and went back to a dizzy.

They went back to tried and proven parts because the new stuff was failing and causing problems... Can say that therefore it was costing Ford more.

I very much doubt that a dizzy and tfi combo would cost Ford less to buy than a coil pack. Considering the development costs in changing all the wiring looms over and redesigning/modifying an ECU.

Post subject: Re: EF Engine Mounts
Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

Guys, sorry to resurrect an old post, I just wanted to add and clarify some important info.

- Square mounts from EL/AU will fit EF but will require a matching bracket on the frame side.
- Engine side bracket will fit round and square mounts and does not need to be changed.
- Most importantly, frame brackets and mounts are same on both sides, so if you are getting them off the wreckers yourselves (like I did), just remove two driver's side brackets (don't forget the bolts!). Passenger side mounts are impossible to remove without help and a LOT of time.

Buying new square mounts: Google search found only one supplier in Queensland for $35 a side plus $10 shipping. My local Pep's has them for $45 a side, Ripco.... $98.

That's all. I haven't changed mine yet (I hate to think about the work involved to change the passenger side...), but I am sure they are the cause of rattle and shudder. Almost 280000km on the clock, and except for the rattling and slippery slushbox, the old girl is still going strong ;)

Post subject: Re: EF Engine Mounts
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:30 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BF FUTURA feb/08 LPG

QLD, Australia

is there a difference between LHS & RHS 6cyl engine mounts or are they both the same on an ef futura :?
all good,didn't see mikie's story above this one,sweet :oops:

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2