Fordmods Logo

EF engine rebuild Just need a monor hand 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF engine rebuild Just need a monor hand
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

Hey guys i just got my head and cam back from the shop and the cam got a mild street grind on it. Do i have to remove shims or something??? im pritty sure i herd some one say something like that so i thought id ask

Im dismantling and cleaning my roller shafts and Lifters to help with running and cause they look filthy unlike my shinny HEAD(looks like a new one from a performance shop LOL)

Since ive clean up my lifters will it stop the ticking noice? (sticky lifter?) only dose it once or twice a week.

Anything i should watch out when i put the head back on????

and yes ive lubed up everything so don't work it aint ganna start up dry like a desert lol

ive cleaned up the block dead smooth
ive got the TDS all set

Ford Fairmont EF
1995 I6 4.0L
Auto, Non LSD

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yer as far as i know you will need two shimms under each lifter, probly best to call the shop where you got the grind and ask them.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

You need as many shims as it takes to reduce the lash to an acceptable level (probably just one if its a small cam).

To stop lifters ticking, pop the lifters apart and clean the insides out. You will need a new set of clips to put them back together.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Make sure when you put the head gasket on you spray it with hylomar or vht copper gasket first on both sides.Gives a far better seal than just the mono seal.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Yeah copper gaskets is the s**t, top stuff.
You didn't clean the tops of the pistons did you?
As for cam, what grind is it? If it's a regrind then you have to add shims, you might get away with it if it's just above stock, best to find that out.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
You need as many shims as it takes to reduce the lash to an acceptable level (probably just one if its a small cam).

To stop lifters ticking, pop the lifters apart and clean the insides out. You will need a new set of clips to put them back together.

K

umm where can i find these clips cause i pulled all my lifters appart and they won't clip back together LOL

ARRRRR
Not good lol

he said it was a mild street regrind (ill give him a call saturday and see if he is open)

How can i tell if it need more shims???

put cam in and bolt rocker arm down and spin can and see if there any any free play between the valve and cam on the rockers??????

Quote:
Make sure when you put the head gasket on you spray it with hylomar or vht copper gasket first on both sides.Gives a far better seal than just the mono seal.

I thought there was some spray stuff for head gaskets

Any idea where i could find this hylomar or vht copper gasket?
Supercheap?
coventrys?
Repco?
any idea how much im looking at?

also where can i buy some shims for my rocker arms?
Repco?
Coventrys?

Thx

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

ute001 wrote:

DONT DO THIS!!!!

Best way to make the head gasket seal is to make sure that the head and block are perfectly clean.

Xflow wrote:
umm where can i find these clips cause i pulled all my lifters appart and they won't clip back together LOL

put cam in and bolt rocker arm down and spin can and see if there any any free play between the valve and cam on the rockers??????

Get the clips from repco or similar. You can get the proper shims from ford spare parts or a wrecking yard (some people use hardened washers as well).

The way I shim up the cams is to assemble the cam and rocker gear and with one vavle that is completely closed feel how much slack there is between the rocker arm and the valve head (basically how much you can move the rocker arm around). Add shims until you get only the slightest movement in the arm.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Anyone know how much new clips are?

i think ill just use actual shims and get them from repco
any idea how much they are?

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
ute001 wrote:

DONT DO THIS!!!!

Best way to make the head gasket seal is to make sure that the head and block are perfectly clean.

Xflow wrote:

Get the clips from repco or similar. You can get the proper shims from ford spare parts or a wrecking yard (some people use hardened washers as well).

The way I shim up the cams is to assemble the cam and rocker gear and with one vavle that is completely closed feel how much slack there is between the rocker arm and the valve head (basically how much you can move the rocker arm around). Add shims until you get only the slightest movement in the arm.

I don't know how old you are stockstandard, or how much personal experience you have, but VHT copper gaskets is the ducks nuts!
I can't tell you how many times i've used it, from 4 cylinders to V8's and never has anyone come back.
The old blokes used to spray head gaskets with silver paint, and yes it worked, but the copper is excellent, i don't care what you or anyone else says.
I'm no d***head, i've been around cars my whole life, i've built countless engines and i've spent time around and learnt from guys like Hans Van Dyke (Well known Pro Stock racer).
I'm not sure if you got your info from books or what, mine doesn't come from books, it comes from personal experience.

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

ACL say not to use Holomar (spelling?) on there mono torque head gaskets.

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i got the motor back together today

all i got left is install the alloy radiator, put water into system and to up auto tran and put thermo fan and acc belt back on

then i can start my pride and joy

ill keep u guys posted on how it goes tomorrow

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ARR GOD SOME ONE HELP ME IVE GOT A BOLT LEFT AND IT LOOKS SEMI IMPORTANT LOL

IT A BOLT FOR SOMETHING OFF THE SIDE OF THE MOTOR CAUSE IT SAME COLOUR AS THE INTAKE MANIFOLD BOLTS BUT 3-4 TIMES LONGER HERE THE PIC

ANY IDEAS?????

ARRRRRRRRRR

I AINT GANNA START THE CAR INTILL I FIND A HOME OR KNOW IT SAFE TO START WITHOUT IT

Ow here are a pic of when i pulled the motor appart

WOULD U LIKE SOME SPRINKLES WITH UR ICE CREAM LOL

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

ya pics dont open.

05 XR6T shockwave prem sound t56 k&n 2cai center muffler mod / 95 ef Fairmont ghia stock.

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

How long is that exactly?
I'm trying to get an idea from your finger but it's hard lol.
It looks like one of the power steering bracket, or the top idler pulley bracket bolts, although it's been around 2 years since i had an i6 in bits so the memory isn't great.

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

OK ITS a 10cm bolt and a 10mm head on it

FARRRRKKKKKKKK the pipe on rear of water pump leaking water

SON OF A....

guess ill have time to play around while u guys think

Ford EF Futura Black

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next