Fordmods Logo

EF Fairmont 4.0 help - misfire only when COLD? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Fairmont 4.0 help - misfire only when COLD?
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA XR8 Boss 260 6-spd manual

New Zealand

Hey all,

my very-reliable '95 Fairmont just developed a bad misfire which is getting worse quickly (in just a couple of days).

Symptoms:
- only misfires when COLD
- misfire is only when pulling away from idle
- feels like it's dropped a cylinder (or two), it's a very regular "chugging" kind of misfire (not a stop/start, stuttering irregular kind)
- misfire DISAPPEARS when engine is warm
- no misfire at road revs or when up-to-speed
- misfore is getting noticeably worse every morning (since it started on the weekend).

Any ideas as a first go-to item to investigate, I'd appreciate any advice.
I've read a number of threads on this subject - sounds like inlet manifold gaskets are an issue - do these symptoms sound like that?

Cheers

Previous cars:
XA GT351 sedan (manual)
XF/XE club race car (351 manual)
EL Falcon
EL Fairmont
AU XR6
BA XR6 Turbo

Post subject: Re: EF Fairmont 4.0 help - misfire only when COLD?
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: FG G6E/EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Sounds kind of similar to what mine is doing..also a 95 Fairmont funnily enough. When cold and taking off from idle mine sits at about 1000-1200 rpm and doesn't really feel like it's getting anywhere, shudders around a bit, then all of a sudden it jumps up to about 2000 rpm and accelerates as normal.

A few months back I had the idle speed controller and throttle body cleaned out, that made it run beautifully but only for about 3 days then it was back to being a pain. But, I've just replaced the oxygen sensor the other day, and that seems to have made a difference so far. It's only been 2 days and hasn't been very cold so I don't know for sure.
Inlet manifold gasket has been mentioned by a few people though so that might be next.. although I'm thinking mine needs a new coil pack as well because it feels generally gutless and a bit shaky at idle.

"Build" Thread: the-garage-f53/jesse-s-g6e-and-ef-fairmont-t103265.html

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: NC Fairlane 5.0L

SA, Australia

Sound Similar to what happened to my EL recently, Have you checked the oil? is it using water?
Mine lifted the head gasket without showing signs of overheating. Just randomly jumped in it one morning and it was stuttering and misfiring but fixed itself when warm, checked the dipstick and it looked like it had ice coffee instead of oil.

hope this isn't the case for you! although it's given me the motivation to save up for a few new "enhancements" for when i put it back together :D

Check out my band!: http://www.facebook.com/creaturesball

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:27 am 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

I've just changed the spark plugs. Did a quick test drive around the block on cold engine (400m) and the problem is still there. So bundle the kids in the car and head out to buy an inlet manifold gasket (working through things one at a time).

And guess what? Between putting kids in the car and leaving - problem has disappeared. (Engine was still cold).

So I'm flummoxed. I'll still change the gasket though. The idle has become rough-ish (even when warm), so I think the problem is still there.

I'm worried it might be head gasket.

Previous cars:
XA GT351 sedan (manual)
EL Falcon
EL Fairmont
AU XR6
BA XR6 Turbo

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

But now, NEW PROBLEM!!

I dismantled some of the injection system to be able to access the inlet manifold bolts (which are a complete bastard to get to).

One thing I disconnected was the fuel feeder/pressure regulator to the fuel rail (very close to the firewall).

After finishing the job, test-starting, and test driving the car last night, all was fine.

This morning, there is fuel HOSING out of that fitting. Coming from the faces between the flanges on the end of the fuel rail, and the regulator itself. Too dangerous to drive or start, there's that much fuel around.

Is there some trick or issue with re-fitting that reg? Might I have buggered the seals? Would appreciate any advice before I start taking it apart.

Thanks all.

Previous cars:
XA GT351 sedan (manual)
EL Falcon
EL Fairmont
AU XR6
BA XR6 Turbo

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]