Fordmods Logo

ef fairmont bogging down NEED HELP. PLEASE 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: ef fairmont bogging down NEED HELP. PLEASE
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el fairmontghia 1995

VIC, Australia

:x HI GUYS,Need help on 1995 fairmont. car bogs down when i put my foot down.and if i back it off it comes good. replaced spark plugs and leads.petrol filter.oil filter and oil. flushed radiator ,and put new coolant in. need help its got me stuffed, :?: :cry:

Post subject: Re: ef fairmont bogging down NEED HELP. PLEASE
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Does it drive ok under light to normal throttle up to a certain rpm (say 2300 - 2500) and then start surging or missing?

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Coil pack perhaps? Seems to be problem of the month on here :)
Mine's started doing the same thing (again). I replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs and she came good for about 3 weeks, but now she's doing it again so it's coil pack and leads this week end.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Does it drive ok under light to normal throttle up to a certain rpm (say 2300 - 2500) and then start surging or missing?

HI MATE,YES that is what it dose.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Esteven8 wrote:
Coil pack perhaps? Seems to be problem of the month on here :)
Mine's started doing the same thing (again). I replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs and she came good for about 3 weeks, but now she's doing it again so it's coil pack and leads this week end.

THANKS BUDDY,Will replace tomorrow and will post back to let u know if that is it . 8-)

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Mine started doing what I described a few weeks ago - I planned to change plugs, fuel filter, leads and coil pack and went to Repco to get the parts - in the carpark it started running rough at idle and was undriveable (very embarassing to break down in the Repco car park! ). I had no choice but organise for it to go round the corner to a mechanic - I wasn't going to work on it in the Repco carpark (and home was too far / expensive to get towed there) - they prob would have chased me away anyway plus it would have been going from embarrasing to break down in the Repco carpark to totally humiliating to be working on the car in the Repco carpark. Mechanical workshop fitted all my bits and put the basic problem down to it being coilpack - said their analyser indicated it was the coilpack specifically.

They were actually quite decent in doing it straight away for me and only charged about 3 hours labour total.

Unfortunately that wasn't the end of the story tho: - it ran fine for a day and then started hesitating and coughing at all speeds from idle up.

As I'd been watching the coolant turn black and gradually disappear with no sign of external leakage for a month or so I figured it was time to do the head gasket. I work 3 week tours away so got it all apart and then had to leave it for 3 weeks - just got back the other day and am getting it all organised to go back together (headgasket has gone missing in the mail which is now looking like a holdup until after Easter). When I pulled the BBM off I found one lead not pushed properly onto the coilpack - so at this stage I don't know if my issue second time round was simply that or caused by the headgasket leaking :(

Keep in mind that the second round of bad running wasn't quite the same as the original problem - ie. originally it had run fine and good at light to intermediate throttle up to 2300rpm or so...

Looks like we'll all be doing stuff this weekend - we might all have working cars next week!...

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Mine started doing what I described a few weeks ago - I planned to change plugs, fuel filter, leads and coil pack and went to Repco to get the parts - in the carpark it started running rough at idle and was undriveable (very embarassing to break down in the Repco car park! ). I had no choice but organise for it to go round the corner to a mechanic - I wasn't going to work on it in the Repco carpark (and home was too far / expensive to get towed there) - they prob would have chased me away anyway plus it would have been going from embarrasing to break down in the Repco carpark to totally humiliating to be working on the car in the Repco carpark. Mechanical workshop fitted all my bits and put the basic problem down to it being coilpack - said their analyser indicated it was the coilpack specifically.

They were actually quite decent in doing it straight away for me and only charged about 3 hours labour total.
THANKS GREENMACHINE,I will be doing the same mate.it sounds like mine ,i just drove it and yes at 2300 rpm to 2500 rpm it breaks down let foot of abit coms good but still rough ,so i will be hoping the coil fixes it . cheers buddy and thanks heaps for your advice champ :wink:
Unfortunately that wasn't the end of the story tho: - it ran fine for a day and then started hesitating and coughing at all speeds from idle up.

As I'd been watching the coolant turn black and gradually disappear with no sign of external leakage for a month or so I figured it was time to do the head gasket. I work 3 week tours away so got it all apart and then had to leave it for 3 weeks - just got back the other day and am getting it all organised to go back together (headgasket has gone missing in the mail which is now looking like a holdup until after Easter). When I pulled the BBM off I found one lead not pushed properly onto the coilpack - so at this stage I don't know if my issue second time round was simply that or caused by the headgasket leaking :(

Keep in mind that the second round of bad running wasn't quite the same as the original problem - ie. originally it had run fine and good at light to intermediate throttle up to 2300rpm or so...

Looks like we'll all be doing stuff this weekend - we might all have working cars next week!...

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

G DAY GREENMACHINE. CAR IS FIXED .t was the petrol pump breaking down under load ,so i returned the coil back to bursons ,s70 to fix . :D Hope you sort yours out buddy good luck and thanks for the advice.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hopefully I'll have it all back together ready to fire up tomorrow arvo. Thanks for your info! - when mine started doing it's thing I was sure it felt like fuel starvation... - so the filter was the first thing I was going to try. When I handed it to the mechanics I told them I strongly suspected fuel filter or fuel pump but see what they could find...

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

GREEN MACHINE.My advice is to change your petrol pump all so.$70 from burson trade price.its peace of mind test drove mine to day and drived like a baby and heaps of power . :mrgreen:

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

No worries - I'll grab one tomorrow (thumbsup).

Edit - fired up the old beast a couple of hours ago after finishing reassembly (been doing the head gasket + fitted new water pump) - fired up nicely - took a couple of minutes to get running on all six (I guess getting all the nozzles flowing - the rail had been completely drained) - initially lifters were clickety but died away gradually over 5 minutes or so except one (bit of swearing happening at that point) - gently revved it up to 2500 or so and the noisy lifter went quiet - whew!.

Engine was quiet, smooth and happy sounding / feeling. Let it idle until it reached normal temp - with cap off (about 10 mins). Shut it down and looked for leaks - no problems visible. Put the cap on and took it for a blockie - running sweet and smooth - and NOTICEABLY better POWER (huge grin). Hopefully will be no puddles or hydraulic'd cylinders in the morning....

While I had the head off I massaged the ports a little and did a special "something" to the chambers (wink). The idle is smoother and deeper sounding than it used to be - no raggedness into gear like it used to - keep in mind it has quite a chunky cam in it - and off idle response and power flow is fantastic. Haven't done highway driving - that will come over the next couple of days.

And of course I'm holding breath for the gutless problem to reappear - but will replace the fuel pump anyway in the next couple of days too.

Was s**t about putting grooves into the chambers but touch wood she's loving it so far - will take time to see if there are nasty ramifications down the track but so far it's looking good :-)

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

HI ,nice job it sounds like, going to keep a eye on mine too.i replaced tappets and very noisy in the morning to it worms up ,took it for a nice drive hwy.and quiet as, started it to day and quiet,so test will be in the morning ,keep fingers crossed, :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]