Fordmods Logo

Ef fairmont engine conversion. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Ef fairmont engine conversion.
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL2 xr8

VIC, Australia

Hey guys,
First off I wasn't sure if I am posting this in the right place but it seems some what relevant.
I have had a brief search and couldn't find alot of information, but here goes nothing!

I have the opportunity to get a v8 Nf fairlane, and I would like to 'maybe' convert the v8 into my current 6 cylinder ef fairmont ghia. (I'm sure this has been asked/ covered before)

I have been notified that it is best to have a "donor" car to just transfer everything across,
Just would like to know what parts from the Nf are need to do the conversion, and is it even possible? (will the Nf stuff fit to the ef?)

Cheers guys love the site, don't kill me if ya reckon this is a stupid question!!
:)

Post subject: Re: Ef fairmont engine conversion.
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

What is wrong with keeping the Fairlane and using all the best parts of both ? Havnt done it, but many parts will swap over. You will need the ECU and engine bay wiring, as these are different. The exhaust will be a few inches longer, you may be able to cut it down. Look into the " level " of the body computer and other things. The Tech, Doc's will have info.

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Ah ok, I'm still tossing up between the both opinion.
Only problem I have is that the exterior on the fairlane is shagged, and will need a respray.
Where as my fairmont is in awesome condition inside and out. It is a "mocca foam/ Goldie" colour with gt wheels and it looks awesome.

Thanks for the reply :)

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Hey cheers for your in put,
I'm just looking for a nice car to drive, my 6cylinder ef on the dash says it does 15.2L/ 100kms which I have been told is about the same as the v8 ef's.
I'm looking at just throwing a nice exhaust system on it or vise Verser putting the v8 in my fairmont ghia.

But I'm not sure what do, i dunno if I can't be bothered transferring it over!!

Cheers uniacidz :)

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

The swap will be a lot of work, with skinned knuckles. Lets face it, 2 older cars. Plastic clips will break and other things will go wrong. Air-con ? re-gass both. It all adds up. In your position, ( keeping in mind you would think of me as an old F@rt ) I would have both, and get the Fairlane resprayed. Maybe the same colour as it will be a crap load cheaper than a colour change. You could still go 2 tone. In the ACT you can have a car 12 months and re-register without a roadie. Means you can have both with rego and insurance for 6 months at a time. Not much more than one !

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:23 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Gli wagon

NSW, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

The swap will be a lot of work, with skinned knuckles. Lets face it, 2 older cars. Plastic clips will break and other things will go wrong. Air-con ? re-gass both. It all adds up. In your position, ( keeping in mind you would think of me as an old F@rt ) I would have both, and get the Fairlane resprayed. Maybe the same colour as it will be a crap load cheaper than a colour change. You could still go 2 tone. In the ACT you can have a car 12 months and re-register without a roadie. Means you can have both with rego and insurance for 6 months at a time. Not much more than one !

Regards 96ELGli

+1

EF GLi Wagon. Burgundy. Gas shocks. Rear sway bar. Nice stereo & speakers. Factory bull bar. Driving lights. Roof racks. Great car. 2nd owner. 147,000km.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]