Ef fairmont wont start 

Page 3 of 5 [ 75 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Ef fairmont wont start
Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

thats right. Just got back from blackheath grabbed the 2 relays off another car, now the battery's flat. Got it on the charger atm hope it runs when I get home tomorrow. Need the car as the missus has gestational diabetes and is 6 months pregnant and needs to travel 30 minutes to penrith hospital once a week. f**k thing, it was running great a week ago when I bought it and 1 day after the week cooling off period it does this s**t

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
79raven wrote:
ok, replaced the coil as the spark was low..... no start. Tried the little bit of fuel down the pvc and she started and stalled. Replaced the fuel pump and no better. fuel pump powers up nicely, I checked the fuses in front of the air box and beside the overflow and they are all good. What now?

If she fired when your poured fuel ito the throttle body, it probably won't be the Cam Angle Sensor. My bet is still on the injectors not firing. ECU issue more than likely. I have a EF Fairmont ECU here as well as Relays if you get stuck.

tried the replacement fuses and it hasent made a difference, how much do you want for the ecu with postage to Lawson 2783? I dont have the code yet. I am too tired right now to get it but as soon as I get home tomorrow I will find out the code, a 1994 EF fairmont auto should all have the same code though? I have spent all weekend trying to get her started, I am burnt to the s**t house, the concrete driveway has made my back look like a cheese grater, my brain is fried and I just need to sleep right now as I have to get up and into the grind at 5 in the morning. I will get the code as soon as I get home and will also check for a reply. PLEASE CAR GOD, LET IT BE THE ECU YOU b**ch

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

turns out my ecu code is 4dcd, isnt that a fairmont wagon? I also found a salmon wire with white stripe cut and another wire joining it from the ecu side down to a black wire that goes into the loom near the auto. I have not been able to find a 4dcd or a 4dcc at the wreckers, but unless SWC can help I can get a 4dcg or 4dce off ebay, will these go?

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:06 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

check with a test light and see if the injectors are pulsing, or unbolt the fuel rail leaving the injectors cliped into the rail then get someone to crank the engine, be carefull because if you are getting fuel and injector fuel will spray out of the injectors..

if there is fuel spraying out of the injectors and you have good spark, it could be a mechanical issue with the engine itself? or just maybe your fuel is not fuel??

a long shot here,
i have seen a similar issue when a child had put the garden hose in there parants tank filling it with water, no one could work it out not even nrma, we found out after we tried to syphen fuel out for there new car, it had about 50% water...

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I have got the missus to crank it over while I felt and listerned for a pulse through the injectors and there was nothing. The fuel in the pcv valve got it started, but it stalled shortly after. It has about a 1/4 tank in it, whats the best way to drain the fuel just incase? I rememebr hearing you can pearce some membrane in the ef/l's tank when syphening

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Have ECU here, 4DCF EECV 27/7/95 manufacture. What do you want to do?

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
Have ECU here, 4DCF EECV 27/7/95 manufacture. What do you want to do?

what do you want for it with postage to lawson 2783? due to work not going to get a chance to get to you so its better posted. Let me know

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

$30.00, includes express post bag. Can post tomorrow if you want.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
$30.00, includes express post bag. Can post tomorrow if you want.

go for it mate, how do I give you the cash? If you could pm me some details and I will send you my address. Thanks mate, hope this gets her started

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

now, when I change over the ecu, do I have to do anything for the bcm to register? Since I had the current ecu out, now my remote wont register.... so is it just getting the bcm to pickup the key signal i.e demister 3 times or do I have to do anything else?
Also the battery in it has a cca of 420, way too low I know, but I tred a 520 in it and it still didnt start. Could the low cca of the battery have caused any problems with the ecu?
Once again thanks SWC, you are the man

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Alright, changed the ecu today..... still nothing. Checked the injectors and they are getting power now, so thats good. Got under the car and tried banging the fuel pump while the missus turned her over and did nothing, but you can hear the pump working without any strange noises. I did notice a compression sound throught the exhaust, is that a problem or is that normal? Never sat under an ef while the cars being turned over so dont know.
If the exhaust comression noise is normal, then it has to be from the pump to the injectors, as it does start/f@rt/cough/splutter then stall when you pour a small amount of fuel into the pcv pipe. If the pump is working and there is power to the injectors and fuel coming out the out side of the fuel filter, could it just be dirty or water in the fuel? If so, if I drop a garden hose down the filler hole and syphen the fuel out of the tank will that be ok or is there a better way to dump the fuel?
This thing is killing me, spent so much in replacing stuff that all my mod money is going to nothing and she still wont start!

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

My theory from what I understand is if it was the ijectors, it could not be all blocked at once, right? Also if there was a blockage in the line then the filter would have collected it before it could get to the rail? Doesnt it lean more to bad fuel? Just seems weird it was running for 4 days after the last fuel was put in it and at a 1/4 tank it just stalls and wont start unless you put fuel in the pcv and the pump is running.
What the best way to dump the fuel in the tank and run some fresh stuff in it?

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

just quick too was thinking when i ran the series light on the ingector plug while the mrs was turning it over the power output was constant, is it the injectors that pulse or should have the series light have pulsed?

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:00 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the injectors have constant 12v with ignition on and the negative wire to the injector is the pulse.
did you test it using the 12v wire and the negative wire on the injector?

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

no I pulled the plug off and ran a series light to the terminal that had power and got the missus to turn her over..... sorry not too savey with ecu cars. If I push the series light in between the two wires while attached to the injector, is thgat the best way to do it?

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 5  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next