Ef fairmont wont start 

Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Ef fairmont wont start
Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

jumped in the ef today to take the family shopping and she wont start. Last night when the missus drove down to the shop and back it stalled when she got home in the driveway, now it turns but wont start? Seems like its getting fuel/air/spark, thinking kill switch? Got the car sitting on reds for 30 minutes to check but could it be another common problem? Please help

Post subject: Re: Ef fairmont wont start
Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

can you hear the fuel pump whine when the motor gets turned onto reds? if not the pump could be buggered or the relay switch could be buggered, ive had a fuel pump bugger up on me in one car, and a relay bugger up in another, both were ef's with between280,000kms and 330,000kms on the clock, if you cant hear the fuel pump, get the mrs to turn the motor over while you get a soft hammer/hand and tap on the bottom of the tank hard, ive seen this kick fuel pumps back into life and the car fires straight up, but dont go driving until youv replaced the pump if this is the case because it will stop again without warning and the bash into life wont work anymore if its completly cactus

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

pump running as it should, fuses going, left it for half hour with no luck........ maybe the coil?

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

stick a spark plug in one of the leads and earth the tip of it to one of the bolts that goes through the rocker cover, and turn it over while someone watches for spark, if no spark or a very weak spark than the coil pack could be shot

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: ford ef2 xr6

VIC, Australia

check for spark as described in above post..if spark is ok,remove hose from pcv valve and pour a small amount of fuel down it.Crank engine as per normal,if car starts and runs for a short period of time,you have a fuel delivery problem.Check that petrol filter is not blocked.Does fuel pump buzz for a few seconds when key is turned?If not ,check for faulty fuel pump,or faulty fuel pump relay(the green relay located under header tank.).

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

also is the smart lock light full on instead of flashing? it could be the module for it, give the bottom left of the dash board just near your left knee a hard bash with the palm of your hand while trying to start it and if it starts you need a need a new bem

BF XR6

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
also is the smart lock light full on instead of flashing? it could be the module for it, give the bottom left of the dash board just near your left knee a hard bash with the palm of your hand while trying to start it and if it starts you need a need a new bem

if the bem is the problem pull the bem out and run over the solder joints with a soldering iron as there may be a dry or cracked soldered joint.....

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ok, replaced the coil as the spark was low..... no start. Tried the little bit of fuel down the pvc and she started and stalled. Replaced the fuel pump and no better. fuel pump powers up nicely, I checked the fuses in front of the air box and beside the overflow and they are all good. What now?

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Sounds like your Injectors aren't firing. Try another ECU.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ok, this is all I know. the car was driving fine the past week, on friday arvo the missus drove down the shops to get me a six pack and when she got back and stopped in the driveway the car stalled. went to start it this morning and it cranks but dont start. I have tried the bcm bash, the smartlock overide, replaced the coil pack, replaced the plugs, checked the leads, replaced the fuel filter ( there was plenty of fuel at the filter on both ends though), the fuel pump powers up, checked all fuses ( in front of the air box, beside the coolant tank and in the dash fuse panel) all are fine but she still wont start, could it be anything else bar the ecu?

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Dirty fuel maybe? IF so I have replaced the filter, so should I drop some more fuel into it to see if it dilutes the fuel?

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Dirty fuel maybe? IF so I have replaced the filter, so should I drop some more fuel into it to see if it dilutes the fuel?

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thought I would call NRMA and pay there 12 month roadside assistance to have the problem fixed...... because I let the membership relapse 2 years ago they want almost $300 for someone to come out now and 12 month membership! They can get stuffed, it will cost less for me to get a mobile mechanic out if I cant fix it! What a crock of s**t. I reckon its a fuse, but I have a brand new fuel pump sitting in the El I will try dropping that in but I am certain its something simple like a fuse in the engine bay

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

if the pumps running and its getting spark, and it fires when you poor petrol down the pcv than its probably going to be the injectors arent letting fuel into the motor, could also be the fuel regulator?

BF XR6

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

the 2 fuses under the heater res, the green and the brown. The green is for fuel pump right? Whats the brown for, efi?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 5  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next