Fordmods Logo

ef falcon 6 how much boost 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: ef falcon 6 how much boost
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1994 falcon

New Zealand

Hey guys im looking at eventually turboing my EB also, but looking at doing it with alot of money and spending alot of time on it when i eventually take it off the road from being my daily..

what im wondering is it worth upgrading the injectors, cam and valves etc before starting my turbo set up? or will i have to replace them again?

RIP XS7261

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

It all depends.

Ask yourself this:
How far do you want to go? (as in what's your target power level)

Then work backwards from there.

Last edited by xcabbi on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

boosted ef wrote:
al i realy want to do is rr regulator and 5 psi of boost i dont expect huge power t5 boxes are to s**t lol i payed 900 for the el with a spare engine box and complete clean fairmont interiour i have al the parts to make it turbo i dont realy want to spend f**k all on it i have a ls2 supercharged 402 stroker i would prefer to spend my money on

Why are you being such a a*** if you have that to play with?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2008 BFII Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

wow man youre a lucky guy to have such an expensive motor build up at such a young age...
with that money, why dont you just get a vl and boost it to death, those babies run 7's right?
or you could always get a bigger blower for your gm donk?

Rocky AKA The Tractor- ED Gli head+cam 3.7 limo 2x15' subs - gone but not forgotten
RED-JET - BFII Fairmont Ghia - Under Construction...
Rambo - NCII Fairlane Ghia 5.0l - just a daily runaround...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:23 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hunt3r wrote:
wow man youre a lucky guy to have such an expensive motor build up at such a young age...
with that money, why dont you just get a vl and boost it to death, those babies run 7's right?
or you could always get a bigger blower for your gm donk?

the vl might run 7's after its had about 30 grand spent on it..lol

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Mattouks VLGOD only had 20k spent on the entire drive-line and it was pushing mid 9's at the time.
7's are only a fist full more boost, a lick of grout and some mini tubs away. Don't know if it will last more than one pass but you get the drift.

Seriously if you've got a stoked and blown V8, then why bother with a Department Of Housing racing stage 2 kit on a falcon?

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:08 am 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

what times do well turboed EB 6s run?

come anywhere close to VL turbos?

RIP XS7261

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Mattouks VLGOD only had 20k spent on the entire drive-line and it was pushing mid 9's at the time.
7's are only a fist full more boost, a lick of grout and some mini tubs away. Don't know if it will last more than one pass but you get the drift.

Isnt there only like 1 VL in the 7's? That TRP one BOOSTN.

What do you mean by a well turbo'd EB 6?

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

boosted ef wrote:
hi i have a ef 6 cylinder manual im currently making a turbo setup for its a super budge build i will be running 2 rb20 nissan skyline turbos on home made merge collected steam pipe manifolds it has a 2.5'' exhaust i will be running a decent size intercooler and the air filters behind the bumper where its cold what i need to know is how many psi of boost the stock fuel system can take with only a rising rate fuel regulator no tuning with stock injectors will it take 5 psi? if it goes ok i will then be getting a bigger fuel pump then adding a couple of 550cc injectors in the intercooler piping running off preasure switches 1 at say 5 psi and 1 at 7psi and running around 8 psi boost. and info on what the stock injectors can handle would be great

theres no problem in DIY, as long as you do know what your doing, and are prepared to take in some of the comments from people that know what they are talking about.
A budget build will work ok, if done right, but budget does not equal bolt it all on and expect kilowatts from stock engine management (and 2 injectors in the intercooler piping to make a ticking bomb)

Regardless of the budget be prepared to need to upgrade the fuel pump, injectors, fuel regulator, engine management, and install a wideband o2. that would be the absolute minimum requirements, if your not prepared to do that, then it wont be a budget build because you will forever be going around in circles replacing what breaks. Regardless of what anyone says, about the stock its a bad idea with boost. You NEED to pull timing out with boost, and put fuel in, and the 'stock' ecu will not. Either a chip or aftermarket ecu IS required, on an EF dont be suprised if you have to also upgrade the ignition to cope with 8+psi being wasted spark, its firing double the plug gap.

Read through a few members threads, more so da22les and troymans There is a lot of info there for the taking, and a lot of very good ideas (and some awesome fab work too)

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:49 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2008 BFII Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

xcabbi, your forgetting copious hairgel, 22" rims, henleys trackpants and 5 of your mates, 4x15" subs. and stickers.
but in all seriousness, dude with that cash it you want fast buy a vl again, or just beef up the stroker. falcy never gonna fly that fast. its a passion for the car thing is why people do them up. brain says go cheap imports/vl turbos/ls series v8s , heart says blue oval. thats what it comes down to. if you want mad drag times, look elsewhere
(and im talking like mid 8's mad)

Rocky AKA The Tractor- ED Gli head+cam 3.7 limo 2x15' subs - gone but not forgotten
RED-JET - BFII Fairmont Ghia - Under Construction...
Rambo - NCII Fairlane Ghia 5.0l - just a daily runaround...

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
xcabbi wrote:

Boostn is in the 7's and VLGOD is now so deep into the 8's it may as well be a 7 second pass.

And yeah Brownbear... What is and isn't a well turbo'd ED 6? are we talking power level or general engineering principle of the setup (mild but nothing will ever break)?

If you are talking power levels then guys like Hiboost, Fritz, ebs_4l and a few others come to mind. All have engine packages capable to take them deep into the 9's (possibly into the 8's in a lightbody EA falc or cortina) and are probably cheaper to build than similar powered RB and JZ motors. Only Hiboost is set up to run at the strip, ebs_4l built his car primarily as a dyno queen and Fritz is somewhere in the middle.

If well turbo'd means well engineered then you can't go past ebs_4l.
513kw at the wheels on standard rods and and cheap as chips ACL race series pistons without any engine failure is testament to the guys ability. He sure as s**t knows how to build something and tune it all himself. Yes it was a DIY build but meticulous planning and attention to detail meant that everything was done for a purpose.

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

xcabbi wrote:
Dansedgli wrote:
xcabbi wrote:

Boostn is in the 7's and VLGOD is now so deep into the 8's it may as well be a 7 second pass.

And yeah Brownbear... What is and isn't a well turbo'd ED 6? are we talking power level or general engineering principle of the setup (mild but nothing will ever break)?

If you are talking power levels then guys like Hiboost, Fritz, ebs_4l and a few others come to mind. All have engine packages capable to take them deep into the 9's (possibly into the 8's in a lightbody EA falc or cortina) and are probably cheaper to build than similar powered RB and JZ motors. Only Hiboost is set up to run at the strip, ebs_4l built his car primarily as a dyno queen and Fritz is somewhere in the middle.

If well turbo'd means well engineered then you can't go past ebs_4l.
513kw at the wheels on standard rods and and cheap as chips ACL race series pistons without any engine failure is testament to the guys ability. He sure as s**t knows how to build something and tune it all himself. Yes it was a DIY build but meticulous planning and attention to detail meant that everything was done for a purpose.

hmm ok, i was thinking along the lines of a road worthy turboed EBll falcon which is what im hoping to achieve in the long run. i love fords and have a passion for them but arent too mechanically minded yet, as for my old man he used to race stock cars and has been a mechanic his whole life so will guide me through the build and teach me along the way.
but as i said im looking at eventually achieving a road worthy, hopefully very powerful turbo EBll falcon. it wont be my daily, more of a weekend ride as i have a motorbike for daily riding to and from work.

RIP XS7261

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

road worthy and powerful... like I said, ebs_4l

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock