Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Falcon running Rough
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:23 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6

New Zealand

Hi,

Last night I was driving home and as i slowed down my car started running rough. It was hunting badly, blowing black smoke and sounded like a tractor with a lumpy cam. at 1/4 or 1/2 throttle it would miss like a b**ch and the whole car would jerk but under full throttle it drove fine.

Was to dark to check anything other than making sure all the leads were on, so will investigate further when i get home tonight. Are these symptoms of any major fault? I'm hoping its just plugs, leads or a coil pack has given up. Just seems strange it will go fine under full throttle but not at part throttle.

I replaced the plugs about 2 months ago and do have a new set of leads at home to put in so will check the plugs and replace the leads. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: EF Falcon running Rough
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

The first thing I would check is your MAP sensor and the vacuum lines running to it. Any leak here will cause the car to run super rich and belch black smoke. Start spray is good for that: a vacuum leak will suck the spray into the engine and the revs will rise. At wide open throttle, there is effectively no vacuum anyway, so the MAP sensor will read (near) ambient pressure regardless of whether it's connected and working or not.

Failing that, disconnect one ignition lead at a time, working across the cylinders to find if the problem is isolated to one or two cylinders. If one cylinder is affected, it's probably a lead or plug. If two cylinders, probably coil pack.

Beyond that, do the same with your injectors, disconnecting one at a time.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6

New Zealand

Thanks, turned out to just be a hose for a map sensor

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Cool. That problem pops up regularly on Fordmods.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]