Fordmods Logo

EF falcon wont start. possible BCM or BEM or IGNITIon? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EF falcon wont start. possible BCM or BEM or IGNITIon?
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:55 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hey guys,

about a month ago my car struggled to start one morning on the way to work, i just shrugged it off and since then it has been getting worse. It all came to my concern when last weekend i tried to start it after not starting it for over 12 hours and it would crank fine but just would not turn over. i rang RACV and they came out and said fuel pump is fine so they checked for spark. There was no spark! Then it randomly started the next morning fine!

So i took it to the mechanic and they checked the coil pack and crank angles sensor and all and said it was fine! So i am assuming it is a BEM or BCM or watever it is issue.

I have tried giving the bem a thump when starting it but it just wont start anymore. battery is fine so is all connections and fuses. But the weird thing is it would only do it when havent been run for a period of time.

Is there way i could check out any error codes or something alike?

any comments or suggestions much appreciated!

Post subject: Re: EF falcon wont start. possible BCM or BEM or IGNITIon?
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

If the engine is actually cranking over but not firing the issue won't be the BEM. When that plays up it gives symptoms like a dead battery, dash lights come on as normal start but when you turn the key nothing happens. If this is what yours is doing hold the key over while you give the BEM a thump.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

The engine surely does crank but just doesnt receive a spark. Should i replace my leads? I am thinking i may change all battery terminals and give that a go. Wats with the smart lock flashing thing though? It doesnt make sense? Could please explain it if u understand? Cheers

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

rowinskii wrote:
Hey guys,

about a month ago my car struggled to start one morning on the way to work, i just shrugged it off and since then it has been getting worse. It all came to my concern when last weekend i tried to start it after not starting it for over 12 hours and it would crank fine but just would not turn over. i rang RACV and they came out and said fuel pump is fine so they checked for spark. There was no spark! Then it randomly started the next morning fine!

So i took it to the mechanic and they checked the coil pack and crank angles sensor and all and said it was fine! So i am assuming it is a BEM or BCM or watever it is issue.

I have tried giving the bem a thump when starting it but it just wont start anymore. battery is fine so is all connections and fuses. But the weird thing is it would only do it when havent been run for a period of time.

Is there way i could check out any error codes or something alike?

any comments or suggestions much appreciated!

sounds to me like its doing this when its cold and that would indicate ignition leads are buggered

if it runs fine once started and has a warm temp then thats most likely the cause

if it runs fine once started like perfect then starts coughing once hot then your spark plugs are also to blame

they are cheap and easy to check your self and if you havent replaced em recently it never hurts to do em :)

id recommend eagle 9mm eliminators they are 100% worth the extra $ as they look better and provide a lower resistance and higher temp silicon and come with a nice 50,000KM warranty i think it is

if it cranks it not the battery terminals but it never hurts to replace em as once they get old they tend to be covered in crap and look nasty

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Sweet ill replace the leads tonight and give that a go. Yeh it sort of doesnt like to idle too well lately when its cold! How do u check the leads anyways? And yh it starts great when its warm!!

Hopefully its just the leads!

So if one lead plays up it wont start at all?

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

rowinskii wrote:
Sweet ill replace the leads tonight and give that a go. Yeh it sort of doesnt like to idle too well lately when its cold! How do u check the leads anyways? And yh it starts great when its warm!!

Hopefully its just the leads!

So if one lead plays up it wont start at all?

the only real way to check the leads is to replace em really or look for there symptoms but if they have gone hard there stuffed but they can still be buggered while they are soft general rule is to replace em every 2yrs or 50,000k's unless you get good leads like eagle eliminators you can delay it longer without replacing em

dad has eagle eliminator series II 10.5MM on the cobra and they are almost 6yrs old and they still work perfect and feel and look new

if you have just one lead play up the motor will work just not very well it depends how f**k the lead is but generally they all break at the same time

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Yeah sweet ill try the new leads.

I also read somewhere that if your interiour light is staying on it could actually be the BEM, and i just rememberd that my light was stuck on so i pulled it out!

Any thoughts?

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XD Falcon 351 Toploader

WA, Australia

To my knowledge the actual light has nothing to do with it. The fuse for that light but is interlinked with the bem and if blown will crank but not start but obviously this is not your problem.

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

tyler06 wrote:
To my knowledge the actual light has nothing to do with it. The fuse for that light but is interlinked with the bem and if blown will crank but not start but obviously this is not your problem.

Tyler06 , sorry forgot to say that it does crank but just doesnt turn ovrr. So u think it could be the fuse?

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:14 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Bit of an update guys.

Last night after work i decided to try figure out what the problem may be. after research it looked as though it was going to be the crank angle sensor. i also read somewhere that if your battery is below 10v under load that it will not start up, so i got a friend to start the car as i measured the voltage and it waws under 10. but this may have been from me trying to start the car vigoursly in the morning. so i checked the battery and it had hardly any water in there so i filled it up.

now im no car freak or anything but i couldnt find my owners manual and had no idea what the crank angle sensor looks like and where, but on the throttle body i took off both those leads and cleaned them out with wd40 etc.

now since the batter was low i got amate to attach some jumper leads and after about 4 seconds of cranking i got the car started i left it running for 35 mins or so.

this morning i started it but it was still very hard to start.

any comments or thoughts?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]