Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: ef fuel pump
Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey all

just a quick query
Ive noticed that my fuel pump (ef fairmont) has started getting rather noisy. Havent had any issues yet but its quite a winey loud noise and im a bit worried about it failing. So first off is this a common thing? and is it a big job to change it (have noticed that they're relativley cheap)?

thanks lads

Post subject: Re: ef fuel pump
Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

They're easy to replace. Open your boot. Lift up carpet and to the left there will be a round plate with 8 or so bolts around the edge. Remove the plate and under there will be a connector and some fuel lines and a threaded ring holding it down, should be pretty straight forward to replace.

As for the noise..... That sounds a bit weird maybe it's just become noisy from age or it's cavitating?
Not too sure.

If your worried it's going to fail, replace it. As you said they are cheap :)

Cheers,
Corbin

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF 5 speed

ACT, Australia

Hi mate,

I've just replaced my EF fuel pump so I've got a couple of warnings for you :P

After unscrewing the black plate in the floor of the boot the fun begins.

Getting the hoses off takes a bit off force but is relatively easy. The sender hose has a plastic clip that needs to be pushed towards the hose (it slides into the hose end a bit) and then with some force the hose will pull off.

The real fun starts with the hose clamp around the outside of the plastic retaining ring that's a bastard to get to. There's hardly any room to get anything in there in the way of sockets/ratchet handles or flat head screwdrivers, after a lot of stuffing around I ended up getting it undone with an 8mm (from memory) ring spanner.

Once that's off, the plastic ring is the next hurdle. If you have welding equipment/skills you can make a tool that will make it a lot easier to get off, the dimensions for the tool are in the EF-EL Gregory's workshop manual. If like me you don't have the skills or equipment to make the tool you can buy one from Repco for around $50, may be cheaper elsewhere if you can find it. Some people have mentioned they've gotten the ring undone by having 2 people place screwdrivers on opposite sides of the ring and hitting with hammers at the same time to spin it anti-clockwise.

When that's done it's all easy from there on in, except for doing the hose clamp around the plastic ring back up... I finished the job this arvo but couldn't manage to get the hose clamp tight enough with my tools so going to have to go tool hunting, not really sure what's ideal for this job.

Hopefully the above saves you some nasty surprises! :D Don't let this post put you off doing it, definitely sounds like yours needs replacing.

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Good way to get the ring off is to heat it up to make it expand. E.g boil the kettle and pour hot water on it just before u attempt to undo it. Make sure u haven't undone the fuel lines as you don't want water running into them.

That's how I do them on the klugers and yaris's at work. Works well in conjunction with that specialty tool^^

Cheers,
Corbin

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:39 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

the large hose clamp on the seal ring is on too right to use heat to remove. that are actually almost cuttin into the plastic. do not butcher the seal ring to remove it.

Do not attempt to do this with any more than ½ a tank of petrol.

A sneaky way to remove the hose clamp on the seal ring is to get 2 large flat blade screw drivers and work it up from each side. does not damage anything this way. when you put it back on just crack it off ½ a turn, get a couple of drifts and gently work it back on, working your way around it until its in position.

You can either replace the entire pump and housing or you can chuck in a walbro 255 or bosch 044 internal pump. both fit in nicely.

I heavily encourage you to aquire or construct a tool to remove the seal ring instead of hacking away with hammers and screwdrivers as you may be inclined to do.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I thought the 044 only came in external?
Or do you modify it to fit in the tank?

Cheers,
Corbin

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:23 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

044's can be run internal or external Fleabay link

Bit rich on $$ though unless you need the fuel system to back up power, The walbro GSS342 is a direct replacment for the stocker. I am runnning one in mine, no issues.

Or you could always just get a stock replacement for about $60 delivered. How many km's on the car and how long did the original fuel pump last? can't really go wrong with the stock replacement. get whats in the budget and don't go overboard.

I only went the walbro as it was sitting on the parts shelf and the original died after 270,000km of (ab)use

I have a car.

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:00 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks for all the help guys uh just to recap its just clicked over 250 000 k's and i've run it on 98 fuel for the last 40 000 since i got it.
Interesting update tho i had to drive to laverton for work on Thursday and it was a REALLY noisy by the time i hit calder park. Anyway i figured i would fill up on the way by as fuel was relatively cheap and when i set off again the noise had stopped. Anyway its Sunday now and i'm down to half a tank and still no noise wtf?

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:01 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Tragilgas wrote:
Hi mate,

I've just replaced my EF fuel pump so I've got a couple of warnings for you :P

After unscrewing the black plate in the floor of the boot the fun begins.

Getting the hoses off takes a bit off force but is relatively easy. The sender hose has a plastic clip that needs to be pushed towards the hose (it slides into the hose end a bit) and then with some force the hose will pull off.

The real fun starts with the hose clamp around the outside of the plastic retaining ring that's a bastard to get to. There's hardly any room to get anything in there in the way of sockets/ratchet handles or flat head screwdrivers, after a lot of stuffing around I ended up getting it undone with an 8mm (from memory) ring spanner.

Once that's off, the plastic ring is the next hurdle. If you have welding equipment/skills you can make a tool that will make it a lot easier to get off, the dimensions for the tool are in the EF-EL Gregory's workshop manual. If like me you don't have the skills or equipment to make the tool you can buy one from Repco for around $50, may be cheaper elsewhere if you can find it. Some people have mentioned they've gotten the ring undone by having 2 people place screwdrivers on opposite sides of the ring and hitting with hammers at the same time to spin it anti-clockwise.

When that's done it's all easy from there on in, except for doing the hose clamp around the plastic ring back up... I finished the job this arvo but couldn't manage to get the hose clamp tight enough with my tools so going to have to go tool hunting, not really sure what's ideal for this job.

Hopefully the above saves you some nasty surprises! :D Don't let this post put you off doing it, definitely sounds like yours needs replacing.

Thanks for the detailed encouragement mate much appreciated (and everyone elses help thanks a bunch).

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

hello all , i have bought a bosch 044 fuel pump for xr8 ef , as 500hp motor needs a drink , can someone exsplain what fittings i use on it or off it compared to standard pump i have removed as the new one is much longer and has brass type fitting screwed to top of it and base has huge threaded opening where the standard has the sock fits in there need a simple methosd to fit it as i am sure there is one , i just have not done so before

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

pettsy351 wrote:
hello all , i have bought a bosch 044 fuel pump for xr8 ef , as 500hp motor needs a drink , can someone exsplain what fittings i use on it or off it compared to standard pump i have removed as the new one is much longer and has brass type fitting screwed to top of it and base has huge threaded opening where the standard has the sock fits in there need a simple methosd to fit it as i am sure there is one , i just have not done so before

You have to modify the stock cradle by cutting off the right angled section which the stock pumps pick up usually sits on and cut the connector off for the pump on the underside and crimp new O type electrical connectors to suit the 044. Then you will need to trim the metal feed line so that the 044 can sit up as high as it possibly can to clear the bottom of the tank and use a rubber hose and clamps to join or alternatively you can braze appropriate threaded fittings to the pipe so that the 044 can screw on with thread tape. Just note that the brass or metal fitting supplied with the 044 is a check valve. In my case it wouldn't fit into the tank after I had fittings brazed so I got shorter fittings to offset the pump up high and bought an aftermarket speed flow check valve which I installed inline outside the tank. After doing all this you will also need a pick up filter or sock to go on the bottom of the 044 as they are usually designed to be installed inline and don't have a gauze filter.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]