Fordmods Logo

ef furtura 400kms to tank?? how to get more?? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: ef furtura 400kms to tank?? how to get more??
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Gli wagon

NSW, Australia

I'm sure the readers here will correct me if I'm wrong, but all things being equal, if you change the motor for more power, that in itself will increase fuel consumption - the power has to come from somewhere, and it does so by burning more fuel.
One can burn fuel better, but the mods you mentioned (bigger cam/head ported) means you'll get more fuel more often at any given time. The result is more power from more fuel burnt.
I've just changed from a 6/7lt/100km auto Pulsar to an EF wagon, and the result is heaps more power, easy overtaking (almost impossible in the Pulsar) far more space for my bed, etc., etc., but more fuel consumption.
Yet, I'm still spending the same amount of cash on fuel per week, by changing my driving habits.
Basically, I'm walking more.
Not only is my fuel cost about the same, but I'm feeling much better for it.
So, that's my answer to your fuel consumption dilemma; if you can, walk. So many trips by car are those of convenience, and can be done by foot, or bicycle.
As for the EF wagon, I get about 12-14lt/100km driving around (hilly) Katoomba, and got 8.9lt/100km driving to Bathurst, then Sydney and back. On the flat freeway, one would expect it to drop further.

EF GLi Wagon. Burgundy. Gas shocks. Rear sway bar. Nice stereo & speakers. Factory bull bar. Driving lights. Roof racks. Great car. 2nd owner. 147,000km.

Last edited by paul w on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

paul your right.
you either want fuel economy or power. pick one and chase it properly.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
AU99 wrote:
put a LPG tank in it.... LOL

-1 u get worse fuel economy with lpg imo unless it is straight gas

you do get worse economy, you need more gas to make the car run, but at half the price of petrol, maybe even cheaper, id prefer to use 15 litres of gas around town as opposed to 12-13 litres of petrol, :roll:

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
AU99 wrote:

you do get worse economy, you need more gas to make the car run, but at half the price of petrol, maybe even cheaper, id prefer to use 15 litres of gas around town as opposed to 12-13 litres of petrol, :roll:

i only said -1 because he is after better econonmy lol although straight gas isnt much diffrent in economy compared to straight petrol

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:03 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
bry40l wrote:
fordnut1988 wrote:
AU99 wrote:

i only said -1 because he is after better econonmy lol although straight gas isnt much diffrent in economy compared to straight petrol

Economy and cost go hand in hand. You obviously want to increase the fuel economy to reduce the cost of petrol consumption. Therefore if someone asks about bettering their fuel economy, you can safely assume they want to help reduce running cost...I'm pretty sure most of us don't want to reduce economy to save the trees.

Anyways, gas does have worse economy, but still cheaper, even in a dual fuel systems to run if running mainly on gas. You might use an extra 3-4L/100km but you will much less per L for LPG (70c compared with 140c 91RON).

Example...40L tank of gas might get you, worse case, 250km. That's 16L/100km, so costing you about $11.20/100km (using 70c/L). 40L of petrol, lets say 400km...that's 10L/100km (highly unlikely in metro area), costing you $14/100km. So over a course of a week of say 500km, you'll be paying $56 in LPG, compared to $70. That's $14 savings a week, for a year, that's $728. If you run 98RON, the savings will be even higher at 15c/L more on 91RON.

You only need to fit a long distance tank to a car if you plan on doing minimal stops...in the end, the economy will still be the same (probably worse with the extra load), so the cost will still be the same if you are looking to increase fuel economy.

If you do a lot of highway driving, a 4L can be very very fuel economic. I managed to do 845km in a single tank going from Sydney to Melbourne. That's with me and a car full of luggage that I had to drag back. Forget about metro area, fuel consumption goes through the roof.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I know it's probably been covered many times before, but we're here now...so, are there any savings of using E10, unleaded or 98 octane in a 4L six?
By that, I mean the 98 or Unleaded may be more expensive than the E10 fuel, but one gets better milage/cleaner engine from them?

EF GLi Wagon. Burgundy. Gas shocks. Rear sway bar. Nice stereo & speakers. Factory bull bar. Driving lights. Roof racks. Great car. 2nd owner. 147,000km.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

OT:

Oompa Loompa?
Hmm. How do I change this? Looked at profile, but found nothing.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

NSW, Australia

paul w wrote:
OT:

Oompa Loompa?

as your thread count goes up it will change, most people on here have been oompa loompas.....some still are LOL

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

paul w wrote:
I know it's probably been covered many times before, but we're here now...so, are there any savings of using E10, unleaded or 98 octane in a 4L six?
By that, I mean the 98 or Unleaded may be more expensive than the E10 fuel, but one gets better milage/cleaner engine from them?

the 95 octane and 98 octane gives a small gain in power and economy, on a trip up the highway i usually fill up with 95 or 98 and it seems to use less and go alot better, the extra cost of the cleaner petrol pays for itself as you use less and get a much smoother running engine and that little bit extra power which can make alot of difference when overtaking or coming up to a hill with a fully loaded car

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

BEAR80 wrote:
paul w wrote:
OT:

Oompa Loompa?

as your thread count goes up it will change, most people on here have been oompa loompas.....some still are LOL

<---- getting sideways?.. im always fuken sideways, obviosly this thing doesnt watch me properly :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 97 TICKFORD XR6 Manaul

SA, Australia

in my el xr6 5 speed i get 500 ks out off my tank just driving around locally mostly metro with constantly hammering first and the odd 2nd gear

i just been to melbourne and back from adelaide got 625 out of just over 3/4 of a tank and 675 out of the 2nd tank heading back
running on 98 octane
and thats with 3 fat a*** blocks in the car too.

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:25 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

BEAR80 wrote:

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

bry40l wrote:
the 95 octane and 98 octane gives a small gain in power and economy, on a trip up the highway i usually fill up with 95 or 98 and it seems to use less and go alot better, the extra cost of the cleaner petrol pays for itself as you use less and get a much smoother running engine and that little bit extra power which can make alot of difference when overtaking or coming up to a hill with a fully loaded car

Thought that might be the case. I know fuel injectors need to be clean, too.
Have been using unleaded (tried E10 once) and will change to 98 to see the difference.
Ta for the replies.

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I tend to get 450-500km to a tank on both my XR6s mostly town driving, with a little highway. That seems a pretty experience. But the six does like highways. Falcons often get 700kms to a tank on the highway.

Anything you do to improve efficiency (better breathing, lower friction, etc) will improve BOTH economy and power. Snorkel, air filter, airbox exit, induction tube, headers, high-flow cat, low-restriction sports exhaust will reduce the amount of power you waste fighting the restiction.

A custom-tuned chip will help you make more power AND get more fuel economy - especially if it is tuned for higher octane - as it will allow more ignition advance and will correct the factory over-fuelling, ie inject less fuel.

Ethanol is a BIG subject. PURE ethanol produces roughly 10% more power than petrol (it is an oxygenate, like a weak nitrous), but has less energy per litre, so you would use 30% more fuel. So, at a 10% mix, you should theoretically get about 1% more power but about 3% worse fuel economy. The situation is more complicated than that, of course. Ethanol has a higher octane rating, so you can build and tune an engine to take full advantage of that and get a better result. Even with a factory tune, the ECU will try to achieve 14.6 AFR in cruise, but ethanol's optimum AFR (stoich) is 9.0 so E10's is 14.1, and you would be running slighty lean anyway.

My two bits, FWIW.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:56 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Ford ef furtura

VIC, Australia

ok yeah well the guy i brought it off said he had bigger injectors put in and i have the reciets for them. He also did the stage 3 jim mock cam so i dont hvae the old one. i will see how i go on the weekend. thanks heaps guys

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Ford ef furtura

VIC, Australia

hey guys thanks for all that. the weekend went great had a very long but good 5 hour drive both ways on my own. the car is great so happy with my ef and as for the fuel i got 700kms to a tank on premium and 620kms to a tank on the way back on normal unleaded. thanks for all the help guys i will probably be asking lots of questions as i am only new =)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2