Fordmods Logo

EF Futura headgasket going? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Futura headgasket going?
Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1995 EF Futura, 1971 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

so im toppping my car up with about 1-2litres of water once a week, also noticed some oil build up around the rocker cover.. its never had the head gasket done and its just about to approach the big 300,000kms. so im assuming it is the head gasket.. going to try and have a good look at it tonight after work, and if this is the case what's the best thing to do? may as well do the upgrade to an xr6 head or is it worth doing the au motor swap? i plan on keeping the car and im doing around 600 kms a week.

Post subject: Re: EF Futura headgasket going?
Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

check the oil and if it looks milky and weird,(youl notice the difference between normal oil and water with coolant in it) than it would be the headgasget, also has it lost some power since youve had to top the water up or harder to start at times? also check around the water pump for water leaks as my waterpump gasget blew once and was leaking slowly but it was hard to spot

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

thats the thing, it doesnt appear milky looking i checked for that before i left this morning but i didnt get a real good look at it so i will tonight, otherwise id be positive it was, it had a service around 2 weeks ago and i noticed a bit of oil at the back of the rocker cover but now its all around it. No powerloss at all n its starting fine, ive noticed no performance difference at all or how the car is running just using more water than it usually would, i checked under the car couldnt see any leaks or anything, somethings goin on though, will have a look around the water pump though, thanks!

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

no worrys, when my water pump leaked it only did it while the engine was running, and it was only a minimal leak, but after driving for a week, it would almost empty the header tank, and i was doing alot less km's then you, maybe only 100 kms a week maximum

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

well jsut to add to that then i just put more water in it there were like milky bubbles coming up through it, its been flushed so guessing thats not a good sign? haha i knew s**t was gonna go down when it was approaching the big 300

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

my ef done the head at 300 or just after 300 lol, if you fix the gasget you could probably get at least another couple hundred out of the car if its looked after before the motor dies

BF XR6

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

well that's true, ill look into it some more when i know for sure and then decide what to do with it

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]