Post subject: Re: EF Head cracked/warped or gasket advice
Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

SWC wrote:
True, but if the balancer has slipped it means that it is on the way out and will only cause further issues at a later date.

Especially as it's the drive pulley for the water pump, alternator, power steering and aircon. When they go bad, they can blow a belt, and you instantly have "manual" steering (think: stirring molasses with a paddle) and no cooling - good fun! :shock:

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

ive had a belt let go on my old ef and yeh steering went heavy as f**k half way through a corner and the charge light came on, pulled up n put it back on only to find it was stretched and wouldnt stay on more than 5 minutes, was an a**hole even though i only had 20 minutes from where i was to home, took me forever lol

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1995 EF GLI falcon

SA, Australia

Damn, not the news i had hoped for!

I'm still wanting to see what the cause of the combustion gases getting into the radiator were, ie warped head, head gasket or cracked head.

Do i need to fit a new harmonic balancer before undoing the camshaft sprocket bolt and getting into the head to see the cause of my initial problem?

Cheers

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

i'd just like to ad that the only way you would know that combustion gasses were in the cooling system was if you took it to a mechanic and he ran a "TK" test on it..

now the thing is that these tests are notoriously bad in that they do provide a large number of false positives if not done correctly..

what are the other signs showing you have a blown headgeasket or cracked head?

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

It was diagnosed through having a tk test, where clear bluish liquid changed colour to a yellowish substance. That and obscene amounts of pressure getting under the radiator cap to the point of needing to release it every time i drove because it felt like it was going to blow out from somewhere eventually.

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

thats what my car was doin and i put $10 seal up in it haha, still holding after 2 months

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Just for any one els thinking of doing this at home.
There is no need to completely remove the intake manifold, all you need to do is remove the bolts holding it to the head. The two support brackets will hold it in place.

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:53 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

bry40l wrote:
thats what my car was doin and i put $10 seal up in it haha, still holding after 2 months

I tried that unfortunately it didn't hold what so ever.

Hmm so do i need to replace the harmonic balancer before taking the head off? I'm up to removing the camshaft sprocket bolt, i got stuck where the balancer didn't line up with the timing case along with the sprocket line being 3mm above the head.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Update:

I got the head off today and took it down to the local engineer, he had a look and unfortunately there's a crack near cylinder 3 :(

He recommended finding another head and having him have a look at it. So i did, i found an 91aa off an eb head down the local wreckers that had been semi reconditioned. I was told 3 valves were stuffed but i could use the ones out of mine. So i paid $100 for the head thinking i wouldn't have to be concerned about valve machining costs. I asked the wrecker if i was able to get it tested and brought back if it wasn't up to scratch.

So anyway i took it back down to the engineer and he said it would cost me $180 to get the valves grinded etc :x 60 to get the head shaved 40, to get it tested and would need a new rocker cover to fit the eb head. Also corrosion was appearing at the rear where coolant circulates. "insert swear words here"

I'm hoping i can get my $100 back and then think it through a bit more as to what to do?! My head is in better condition overall then the piece of crap i bought.

I'm happy i know the cause now, but at the same time disappointed its not just the gasket.

What would people do if it were their car? bare in mind it was running pretty good apart from the combustion gases getting into the coolant. Only other things i can think of that were needed to be fixed eventually is new shock absorbers in the front and rear and the front right disc brake fixed due to shuttering under brakes going downhill at high speeds.

Other then those issues its a good car. :?

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Well, i got the $100 back for the dodgy head. I need to applaud the wreckers for doing that, much appreciated!

Now i really want some advice from people being in a similar position to the one I'm in right now :)

1. Fix my current head? its just a slight crack, isn't all the way through. I'm not sure of the cost to fix it.

2. Buy a used head and hopefully the valves etc are in good condition and all that's required is a shave.

3. Buy a brand new head, while expensive its a long term gain.

4. Purchase a new engine to slot into the EF falcon, local wreckers has an EL for $550 thats done 166k and an ef thats done 180 for $450.

5. Purchase a new car and sell whats left of mine to the wreckers.

Obviously I'm looking to do this a cost effective way. I'm not sure whether I'll find a good used head that will just need a shave and then bolt that straight down. Maybe fixing my head could be the cheapest option? or whacking in a used engine that's been tested.

I really don't know what to do here!

Thanks,

Andy

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ef fairmont ghia

VIC, Australia

i went through a similar process about a month ago all u ask your self is how long do u want the car for if its a few years get a reco head. also swapping engines is a fair bit of work i did it in my mates eb and i swore id never do tht sort of thing again. but thts just me.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Look in the forsale section of this thread. Im sure thered be a not f**k head for sale under 100bucks.
But don't reuse the cracked head.
No point installing a cracked head with new gasket, headbolts and effort. It'll just blow again.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:29 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

As mentioned above, do you want to keep the car for long or just to get you by until you find a better car?

I personally would get a reconditioned head. That should last you a while longer unless there is damage to the block and I believe most cost effective. Don't need to second guess about the quality of second hand head and then getting it fixed if it's stuffed.

If you're not much in a hurry and feel like a project, get a second hand motor, chuck it in and hope it will last you a short while. In the mean time, fix your current engine from top to bottom, new welsh plugs, timing chain/guides, rear mains, seals, heater bypass pipe, new balancer, recon head and anything else you think needs doing. Swap engines back with new hoses and resell the second hand motor...but obviously this isn't cost effective...but your engine will last longer.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Buy a later modle head and have it reco'd. the other head was only going to cost you $300 in total, thats getting out of it pretty cheap. How cheap do you want to be?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next