Fordmods Logo

EF head gasket issues!?! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: EF head gasket issues!?!
Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:51 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF falcon GLi Wagon

VIC, Australia

hi guys, new to this forum and to fords in general. I've been a Holden man all my life (bring on the haters now and get it over with! Lol)
Question is: I've just done a head gasket in my EF falcon wagon. I've read a few posts about putting in an AU gasket, buy new head bolts etc. but is there anything else I should be doing to stop this happening again? And while i have the head off is there anything else i should do to improve the performance? (this is a family car so i dont want to go crazy) thanks guys and Keep in mind I know nothing about fords so being an ex Holden man you might need to talk a bit slower. Lol.

Post subject: Re: EF head gasket issues!?!
Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The AU head gasket will last a very long time if done properly. Once you have the head off, I would get it machined to make sure the surface of the head is perfectly flat. Using the Au head gasket will up the compression slightly. You could change the camshaft for more performance or clean up the ports. But then you are going to use more fuel and will need a dyno tune. You will gain some performance just by putting the AU gasket on.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

au metal gasket, make sure the block is spotless. cjh on here can show you a pic of how the block should look, or do a search of the forum, there are a few threads on gasket replacement on here.
get the head tested and machined, id also get valve stem seals replaced while its off. you can get the head ported if you want to spend the cash.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

damn it, ninja'd by gezza.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Also you WILL need new head bolts. They are torque to yield I.e. 1 use only.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Cheers guys. Just called into my mechanic to check the progress. Luckily for me he races these engines in speedway cars. So he knows them inside and out. Head was stuffed. Cracked and warped. He doesn't like welding them up so he is giving me one of his heads from home that's has been decked and polished. What are people's thoughts on the j3chip? Worth getting one as I won't be doing a lot of work to the motor.

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

You can gain some power out of a stock engine with the J3's, cleaning up the AFR and ignition timing. You would want to use 95-98 octane fuel and have a tune to suit for it to be worth it. I'm guessing it's an auto, If you want some more get up and go from the car. Put a set of 3.45 or 3.7 gears in. The 1st gear in the auto falcon are very tall.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Looks kinda nasty in there!

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 160.01 KiB | Viewed 197 times ]

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Yep, well worth getting a custom-programmed J3 chip. One of the best performance bargains going (coupla hundy from TI Performance).

If you are happy running 95-octane+ forever, you can shave a bit more off the head to increase the compression ratio. The new head is described as "decked" so maybe it's been skimmed for compression already.

+1 to getting the block spotless before putting the head back on. Took me ages with gasket stipper spray and a sharp gasket scraper. But the slightest bit left on the surface will create a gap between the gasket and block

While the head is off, dropping in an XR6 cam will give you a decent performance boost for cheap without upsetting much else. You will gain some top end, without losing anything noticeable at the bottom, and without hurting fuel economy. In stock form the EF six is under-cammed anyway. And the J3 chip can be programmed to take full advantage of the warmer cam.

If you're anything like most of us on Fordmods, you will soon get the bug and be doing: big snorkel, performance air filter, headers, cat-back, etc. :D

Welcome to the Falcon family!

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Ok. So it's been a long week with out wheels but I pick it up tomorrow morning. It's basically going to be a brand new car! Not only has the head gasket been done with the new ported and polished head, but he has put a new radiator in, trans cooler, reconditioned the auto, put an xr6 cam in, coil pack s**t itself on final check over so replaced that, altinator, map sensor, and a stage 2 J3 chip on order to go in soon. All this when I just went in to get the head gasket fixed as it's my daily drive.

All I have left to do is replace the ball joints, new rotors and pads, extractors and exhaust and I'm done! Hopefully!

Thankfully my mechanic builds and races ef speedway cars so has plenty of spare parts as we found we needed them, and a ton of knowledge on them and how to get the best out of them.

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

And new idler pulley! Lol.

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Wow! That would be one epic repair bill. But worth it if you are going to keep the old girl for a while. Love my EF XR6!

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

600 for the head it originally went in for. A lot of the parts are 2ndhand he had laying around in his workshop. But yeah not sure how much this will sting me. Not looking forward to it. He's pretty good though and will only charge me for labour for most of it. :wink:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]