Fordmods Logo

EF/L Manual Idle Crapness/Rev Hang-Fixable? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: EF/L Manual Idle Crapness/Rev Hang-Fixable?
Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Sounds like it has happened to most E-Series manuals. Today my EL decided to follow suit.

With the ISC connected, it refuses to start without throttle 90% of the time, and when it does start will idle rough for maybe 15 seconds then die. Its undriveable like that.

With the ISC disconnected, I set the idle to 1000rpm for tomorrow to make sure it won't stall under load (high steering load/Aircon etc). It starts fine with a bit of throttle opening, idles perfectly and generally drives alot smoother, without the rev hang between gears.

My question is, what causes this? It must be in the ECU, as I tried another ISC and it did the same thing. Is there a known fix?

I have heard of people removing the ISC and just fitting a blanking plate, But I'd like to know more about the problem and if it can be fixed.

I find it funny that it has made it 12 years and 257K KMS before deciding to do it. :roll:

Post subject: Re: EF/L Manual Idle Crapness/Rev Hang-Fixable?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:07 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 16 images

Power: 165 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I had this problem when I fitted the cms3 cam, (don't know why?) I bought a 12V varying voltage reducer(2V-12Vrange) from jaycar, hooked it up the outgoing power line from ECU-ISC through a micro switch then down to the voltage reducer set it at 5V then hooked the outgoing wire to the ISC. Turn it on for cold start, keep on till warmed up (can drive in this time) and turn off, A/C on switch on holds revs up no stalling. *down fall is (if manual) holds revs abit between changes if on. But problem fixed.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]