Fordmods Logo

EF Light Show 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Light Show
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I was thinkging someone on here can help me with this problem

i have a EF Futura when the lights are not on and i press the brake pedal then brake lights go on which is good but so do the front small lights in the front and all the instrument display lights

someone told me i should change my brake light one was all messed up all the wires looked joined so i changed that 1 but still same problem

Where would u guys look from a problem im guessing somewhere the wires touching wheres the most likely place

ive removed the brake light switch checked all around there put it back on swapped the brake swtich wires around and around still same crap???

Post subject: Re: EF Light Show
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

makboy86 wrote:
i have a EF Futura when the lights are not on and i press the brake pedal then brake lights go on which is good but so do the front small lights in the front and all the instrument display lights

When your lights are on, your instrument display lights should be on aswell all the time, not just when you press the pedal, otherwise how do you see the gauges at night? or do you mean the warning lights come on?

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:05 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB falcon 5spd

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
makboy86 wrote:

When your lights are on, your instrument display lights should be on aswell all the time, not just when you press the pedal, otherwise how do you see the gauges at night? or do you mean the warning lights come on?

he is saying the lights are switched off, but when he touches the break all the lights come on.

1993 EBII GLI, IT'S PERFORMANCE Stage 3 engine,
XH Snorkel, K+N panel, Pacie 4480, High flow cat,
2.5" Lukey cat back system. Monroe GT Gas shocks + struts.

just dyno'd at 140.9RWKW

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

umm..... just out of curiousity, check your taillight bulbs, i'll bet you've got a single filament bulb in where there should be a double filament bulb

did you change any taillight bulbs recently? (before the problem started?)

if one bulb is pretty stiff or hard to remove, you may have found your culprit

Banned

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
makboy86 wrote:

read it again scott, when he hits the brakes, his brakelights come on, but so do his parkers and instrument illumination lights

Banned

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

I would almost be sure it will be the rear brake bulb holder, the silly designed holder has nothing to stop the fingers for the brake circuit touching the Parking lamps if they get bent, also they don't give sufficient preasure on the bulb which accounts for rapid bulb failure due to heating via the contact.

As Interceptor said, if a single filament bulb is in place it will short the brake circuit to the parkers circuit and give the same symptoms and I would check here first. Another thing to check would be the earth connection at the brake lights is good and strong.

Cheers
TW.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ED Falcon

QLD, Australia

I had that happen too, It was a faulty globe, was a twin filliment globe, but there was a small contact between the 2 filliments inside the globe

I would replace them and all should be good

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:33 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

While you have the brake lights apart, you can try this mod ??? http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=7

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:19 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

definently the bulb, happened to me when i was being cheap and using a bulb from my box trailer!

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:48 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

WA, Australia

ok, this is the time to ask, how do you get at the rear lights? .. its been a while since i tried it, but i could only see one screw to undo, so do you undo that one and sort of prise the lense housing away from the body or what? ... is that how that sucker comes off????

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]