ef low beam keeps dieing 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: ef low beam keeps dieing
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF

QLD, Australia

hey guys not to sure where this post should go? i thought this was the only place suited for it. anyways ill get to it the other night driving home from the shops my low beams just died so i flicked to high and they worked. a bit down the road i turned back to low and they were working then started flicking on and off so i just stayed on high beam. i know there must be a break in the wiring some where. a mate of mine said its a really common thing just wondering if the break is a coomon thing in one cable.

some one help.

cheers

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

something similar happened to me not long agao but was the other way round, high beams were flicking and low's working fien - turned out to be faulty switch for my driving lights, plug had come off and was shorting - making the relay go nuts lol...

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

This is exactl what mine did after the ef conversion, it was the high/low/pass beam switch inside the combonation switch.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

i also have a problem like this but its with my highbeam... i can click to highbeam and after 20-30 seconds it just turns off.. u flick back to low beam and they dont work either.. yet if u leave it on low beam they come back on. u can drive with lowbeam on without it doing it thou? maybe the relay is overheating with the highbeam?

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF

QLD, Australia

so its the light switch on my collum might. change it over and see how i go. also i couldnt find the relay for the head lights could some one please point me in the right direction as to its where abouts.

cheers

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:22 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

I have fixed a few of these and it is the headlight circuit breaker which is mounted on the left of the relays near the battery.It is a small rectangular box with 2 terminals on it.They overheat and burn out .They are the battery poisitive supply to the headlight relays and are there to protect the wiring from burning up if you get a short in your light circuit.Best thing to do is buy a 35 amp circuit breaker with bolt on terminals or nuts and fit 2 yellow crimps to the wires and then put the terminals on the breaker and mount it with a tek screw then test .Any questions ?feel free Cheers Kevman

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BF Falcon XR6 N/A

NSW, Australia

I have a similar problem. My passenger side low beam light goes off and gives an impression as if its blown, i have changed the globe two times, it works and then goes off after driving for a while and comes back ON whenever it wants, its driving me nuts :s . Kevman does the same apply for low beams too ?

2006 BF Falcon XR6 N/A - <current>
1995 EF Falcon Futura

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:55 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Sam the circuit breaker feeds both hi & low beams but if your left low beam is the only one affected then I would think that you had a different problem .The headlight plugs or connectors have a habit of overheating and causing on/off .If you have a look you can usually see one terminal is melted and you just buy a new plug and replace it.ok?or your low beam wire is going open circuit.

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Vibration can cause premature globe blowages!
GLi/Futura's run one wire for positive and its casing for earth, clean spray all connections.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BF Falcon XR6 N/A

NSW, Australia

cheers Kevman and Krytox.Will let u know how i end up fixing it.

2006 BF Falcon XR6 N/A - <current>
1995 EF Falcon Futura

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]