EF making a bad noise 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EF making a bad noise
Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Well it happened about a month after installing my cam so i dont know if it would be that.

Basically there is a noise as if a bit of metal is in the rocker gear or there is a bit of broken timing chain rail rubbing or something and i cant work it out.

Today i took the rocker cover off to see if everything is alright. I have a feeling that the guide for the timing chain is broken but i cant remember what it looks like (if anyone has a pic with the head off that would be handy)

I know that it is NOT an accressory because i took the belt off and started the car up and the sound kept going on. I guess that is good and bad.

Also if it is the timing chain guide, how hard are these to change over. I have to take the whole front end off the car in a few weeks anyway so i can do it then.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

There are three plastic guides all up. Two near the top each side of the chain, and one at the bottom.

To change them is a bit off f**k around, remove thermo fans for extra room, half undo sump bolts and lower it, take the accessories off the front, remove belt tensioner on the side of the timing cover, remove pulley assembly, then you need a special tool to remove the balancer, undo bolts on timing cover and pry it off without bending it too much or snapping pieces of it like i did, watch that bottom plastic guide cause it just sits there, the two top guides clip on and slot into the motor if i can remember. You'll need a couple new gaskets for the timing cover. Run a bead of sealant around the cover before putting it back on. Use the special tool to fit the balbancer back on, and just a reversal of the rest and your done.!!!

Sounds easy but i found the timing cover didnt want to come off easy and didnt want to go back on either

First is a pic of my car you cant see the guides cause we snapped them while fitting the gearbox. The other pics show the passenger side guide and the bottom guide which is a prick cause they usually fall off when you remove the timing cover and go into the sump.

At the moment in my car the bottom plastic guide in the last pic is in the sump and couldnt be fished out without dropping the sump further which meant dropping the k frame as well, so make sure you got a spare one. Mine is running fine without it at the moment although someone mentioned here the chain can chew up some of the timing cover if left too long. Good Luck

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:58 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

f**k is that coolant in every f**k cylinder?
That headgasket must have been f**k LOL

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

SA, Australia

might go price a all the gear for the timing chain and that. Do it all at once.

I might invest into a 2nd motor and put a R6 or something in it before it goes in

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]