Fordmods Logo

Ef missfire 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Ef missfire
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 57

Posts: 7

Joined: 19th Jul 2009

Ride: Ef-EL Falcon

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Hi I have a EF wagon which has done 190.000 km. It has developed a miss which comes and goes at idle and it looses power on acceleration at times. Now It doesn't use water or overheat, oil is clean. I have been told it is the head by one mechanic while another says it's electrical but when my old EF did the head it blew the coolant out of the overflow. I have replaced coilpack, leads, plugs, All sensors map sensor,exhaust sensor, temp, throttle etc plus the comp. under the kick panel, checked for air leaks and found none, checked earth leads... When it's not playing up it goes like hell. It's driving me nuts. I just bought another EF for parts for $500 and it runs perfect but it's done 352.000 km. so I may put that one on the road......... :?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Ef missfire
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 28

Posts: 190

Joined: 25th Oct 2008

Ride: DC LTD V8

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

Ford owner wrote:
Hi I have a EF wagon which has done 190.000 km. It has developed a miss which comes and goes at idle and it looses power on acceleration at times. Now It doesn't use water or overheat, oil is clean. I have been told it is the head by one mechanic while another says it's electrical but when my old EF did the head it blew the coolant out of the overflow. I have replaced coilpack, leads, plugs, All sensors map sensor,exhaust sensor, temp, throttle etc plus the comp. under the kick panel, checked for air leaks and found none, checked earth leads... When it's not playing up it goes like hell. It's driving me nuts. I just bought another EF for parts for $500 and it runs perfect but it's done 352.000 km. so I may put that one on the road......... :?


Dizzy/rotor button?

 

_________________

DC LTD V8 pure style

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Ef missfire
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 26

Posts: 416

Joined: 19th Mar 2009

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF11 Fairmont Ghia

Location: Mebourne
VIC, Australia

tryandtakeme wrote:
Ford owner wrote:
Hi I have a EF wagon which has done 190.000 km. It has developed a miss which comes and goes at idle and it looses power on acceleration at times. Now It doesn't use water or overheat, oil is clean. I have been told it is the head by one mechanic while another says it's electrical but when my old EF did the head it blew the coolant out of the overflow. I have replaced coilpack, leads, plugs, All sensors map sensor,exhaust sensor, temp, throttle etc plus the comp. under the kick panel, checked for air leaks and found none, checked earth leads... When it's not playing up it goes like hell. It's driving me nuts. I just bought another EF for parts for $500 and it runs perfect but it's done 352.000 km. so I may put that one on the road......... :?


Dizzy/rotor button?



dont u mean coilpack? :?

 

_________________

It really is true you can sell anything....just look at holden, selling s**t with a badge on it.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Ef missfire
Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 3737

Joined: 22nd May 2006

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

Location: Bendigo
VIC, Australia

Aux shaft might have gone or it might have blown between cylinders.

Im chasing a similar prob like that in mine. its a royal pain

 

_________________

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Ef missfire
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:40 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 52

Joined: 7th Nov 2006

Ride: NF fairlane

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

is ther an update yet fellas im chasing what seem to be the same prob?

 

_________________

Is There Life After Death Touch My Car And Find Out!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Ef missfire
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:18 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 1775

Joined: 10th Jul 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

Location: Waurn Ponds
VIC, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
Aux shaft might have gone or it might have blown between cylinders.

Im chasing a similar prob like that in mine. its a royal pain



aux shaft? does the ef even have one being coilpack? my very limited knowledge of ignition systems seems to think that aux shaft is for dizzy's. Plz, no flaming if Im wrong on that one. Already stated that I know JS about ignitions. If there is aux shaft on ef/au motors please tell me what they are and what they do :)

have you tried crank angle sensor? mums went on her ef and did something similar. if not, try blocking off the ISC on top of the TB with a peice of cardboard or thin plastic sandwiched in between the isc and tb, and see how it runs.

 

_________________

enough isn't enough

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Ef missfire
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 3737

Joined: 22nd May 2006

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

Location: Bendigo
VIC, Australia

im fairly sure they still have one? it also drives the oil pump. and the crank sensor (i think) sits in the dizzy hole?

Dam it, you got me second guessing now...

 

_________________

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Ef missfire
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 1775

Joined: 10th Jul 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

Location: Waurn Ponds
VIC, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
im fairly sure they still have one? it also drives the oil pump. and the crank sensor (i think) sits in the dizzy hole?

Dam it, you got me second guessing now...



the crank sensor on my au2 is under the manifold, on the side of the engine block, roughly underneathcyl 5. Does that help at all?

 

_________________

enough isn't enough

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Ef missfire
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 2091

Joined: 3rd Apr 2008

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Of course there is an Aux shaft, as said, it will run the oil pump and the crank angle sensor.

Goodluck getting it sorted mate, would drive you nuts after replacing all those parts.

Mine has a pertty s**t warm idle too, going to change the ISC (done plugs and coil pack) and will hopefully sort it.

Goodluck Mate!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Ef missfire
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 850

Joined: 10th Nov 2004

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

Location: Forest Lake
QLD, Australia

if it's intermittent then i highly doubt it is the head.
a compression test on all cylinders and a pressure test on the radiator should pretty much rule out the head.
Sounds like you are running out of other options though.

 

_________________

Regards,
Punnisher_42
_____________
2003 BA Fairmont - Stock standard
1994 U13 cough Nissan Cough Bluebird

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Ef missfire
Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 35

Posts: 20

Joined: 10th Feb 2005

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

I could be a faulty fuel pump, not getting enough pressure all the time. When did you last change fuel filter also.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Ef missfire
Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 118

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: DF LTD

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

This will definately be one of 3 possibilities as i have come across this quite a few times during my time.

always rely on the Kiss rule when searching for these problems that being (keep it simple stupid)

It could be an injector problem but doesn't sound like it, It could be then a partially blocked filter sock on your fuel pump.

Or it does more than likely sound as previously stated the Aux shaft as they can commonly razor edge the gear teeth on them which will give you this issue.

The easiest way to check this is to remove the cam sensor and have a look through the hole with a torch you should be able to see the gear that way just be careful with the cam sensor as it has to go back in exactly the same position.

Cheers.

 

_________________

boobies are good

SOuNd By: Rockford Fosgat Alpine and Kicker
POwEr By: crescent motorsport all cylinder head services and of course RMA Jase
Project DF is now in the making all it requires now is that Money stuff hah

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Ef missfire
Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:23 am 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 57

Posts: 7

Joined: 19th Jul 2009

Ride: Ef-EL Falcon

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Miss getting worse on wagon. Roo hit passenger doors other day and put big dents in,also bad rust coming out in panels under doors so it's days are numbered. I will scrap it when rego runs out. I picked up a blue 96 EF on gas 2 days ago off Ebay for $450. Straight, good paint,cruise, new tyres,good auto( been replaced) , sad motor 350,000 km but it goes. I'll drive it until engine s**t then put wagon engine in. :D
I also have The other 96 EF grey sedan I picked up for $500 . The owner said the motor was stuffed as there was oil pouring out. Turned out to be a loose cam chain tensioner and a leaking power steer hose. Car straight, no rust , drives well, no miss,only needs a/c regassed. My daughter is driving that one. There are lots of EF-EL on Ebay going for under $1000........They have become 'throw away' cars due to their age.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:38 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names