Fordmods Logo

Ef missfire 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Ef missfire
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ef-EL Falcon

QLD, Australia

Hi I have a EF wagon which has done 190.000 km. It has developed a miss which comes and goes at idle and it looses power on acceleration at times. Now It doesn't use water or overheat, oil is clean. I have been told it is the head by one mechanic while another says it's electrical but when my old EF did the head it blew the coolant out of the overflow. I have replaced coilpack, leads, plugs, All sensors map sensor,exhaust sensor, temp, throttle etc plus the comp. under the kick panel, checked for air leaks and found none, checked earth leads... When it's not playing up it goes like hell. It's driving me nuts. I just bought another EF for parts for $500 and it runs perfect but it's done 352.000 km. so I may put that one on the road......... :?

Post subject: Re: Ef missfire
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: DC LTD V8

VIC, Australia

Ford owner wrote:
Hi I have a EF wagon which has done 190.000 km. It has developed a miss which comes and goes at idle and it looses power on acceleration at times. Now It doesn't use water or overheat, oil is clean. I have been told it is the head by one mechanic while another says it's electrical but when my old EF did the head it blew the coolant out of the overflow. I have replaced coilpack, leads, plugs, All sensors map sensor,exhaust sensor, temp, throttle etc plus the comp. under the kick panel, checked for air leaks and found none, checked earth leads... When it's not playing up it goes like hell. It's driving me nuts. I just bought another EF for parts for $500 and it runs perfect but it's done 352.000 km. so I may put that one on the road......... :?

Dizzy/rotor button?

DC LTD V8 pure style

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF11 Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

tryandtakeme wrote:
Ford owner wrote:

Dizzy/rotor button?

dont u mean coilpack? :?

It really is true you can sell anything....just look at holden, selling s**t with a badge on it.

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Aux shaft might have gone or it might have blown between cylinders.

Im chasing a similar prob like that in mine. its a royal pain

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NF fairlane

VIC, Australia

is ther an update yet fellas im chasing what seem to be the same prob?

Is There Life After Death Touch My Car And Find Out!!!

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
Aux shaft might have gone or it might have blown between cylinders.

Im chasing a similar prob like that in mine. its a royal pain

aux shaft? does the ef even have one being coilpack? my very limited knowledge of ignition systems seems to think that aux shaft is for dizzy's. Plz, no flaming if Im wrong on that one. Already stated that I know JS about ignitions. If there is aux shaft on ef/au motors please tell me what they are and what they do :)

have you tried crank angle sensor? mums went on her ef and did something similar. if not, try blocking off the ISC on top of the TB with a peice of cardboard or thin plastic sandwiched in between the isc and tb, and see how it runs.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

im fairly sure they still have one? it also drives the oil pump. and the crank sensor (i think) sits in the dizzy hole?

Dam it, you got me second guessing now...

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
im fairly sure they still have one? it also drives the oil pump. and the crank sensor (i think) sits in the dizzy hole?

Dam it, you got me second guessing now...

the crank sensor on my au2 is under the manifold, on the side of the engine block, roughly underneathcyl 5. Does that help at all?

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Of course there is an Aux shaft, as said, it will run the oil pump and the crank angle sensor.

Goodluck getting it sorted mate, would drive you nuts after replacing all those parts.

Mine has a pertty s**t warm idle too, going to change the ISC (done plugs and coil pack) and will hopefully sort it.

Goodluck Mate!

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

if it's intermittent then i highly doubt it is the head.
a compression test on all cylinders and a pressure test on the radiator should pretty much rule out the head.
Sounds like you are running out of other options though.

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I could be a faulty fuel pump, not getting enough pressure all the time. When did you last change fuel filter also.

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: DF LTD

NSW, Australia

This will definately be one of 3 possibilities as i have come across this quite a few times during my time.

always rely on the Kiss rule when searching for these problems that being (keep it simple stupid)

It could be an injector problem but doesn't sound like it, It could be then a partially blocked filter sock on your fuel pump.

Or it does more than likely sound as previously stated the Aux shaft as they can commonly razor edge the gear teeth on them which will give you this issue.

The easiest way to check this is to remove the cam sensor and have a look through the hole with a torch you should be able to see the gear that way just be careful with the cam sensor as it has to go back in exactly the same position.

Cheers.

boobies are good

SOuNd By: Rockford Fosgat Alpine and Kicker
POwEr By: crescent motorsport all cylinder head services and of course RMA Jase
Project DF is now in the making all it requires now is that Money stuff hah

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:23 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ef-EL Falcon

QLD, Australia

Miss getting worse on wagon. Roo hit passenger doors other day and put big dents in,also bad rust coming out in panels under doors so it's days are numbered. I will scrap it when rego runs out. I picked up a blue 96 EF on gas 2 days ago off Ebay for $450. Straight, good paint,cruise, new tyres,good auto( been replaced) , sad motor 350,000 km but it goes. I'll drive it until engine s**t then put wagon engine in. :D
I also have The other 96 EF grey sedan I picked up for $500 . The owner said the motor was stuffed as there was oil pouring out. Turned out to be a loose cam chain tensioner and a leaking power steer hose. Car straight, no rust , drives well, no miss,only needs a/c regassed. My daughter is driving that one. There are lots of EF-EL on Ebay going for under $1000........They have become 'throw away' cars due to their age.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]