Fordmods Logo

EF No Fuel ? Why ? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF No Fuel ? Why ?
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

my NF fairlane has just acquired a nice problem its started stalling at idle all the time you can drive it fine and everything it lacks power but it gets the job done if i come up to a corner and i have to brake i have to drop it in netural and rev it to keep the car going

i was thinking the fuel filter but i replaced that and it hasnt helped
now im thinking either fuel pump or fuel relay or regulator
is it either a case of the fuel pump either works or it doesnt ?
im having alot of trouble getting to the fuel pump so im thinking ill do things i can easier access to like the relay i know the relay is one of the relays under the overflow bottle but how do i tell what one it is ?

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Post subject: Re: EF No Fuel ? Why ?
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: DL LTD

QLD, Australia

If you turn on your ignition the fuel pump should presurrise the system so it starts....I would have thought if the pump was dodgy then you would have no pressure at all. Im pretty much a novice with anything that uses a computer in it (bring back malory twin points and square bore holleys I say!! lol) so hopefully some of the other way more experienced guys can give you a thought. Maybe check that all the sensors on and around the engine are still plugged in and clean etc first

Lets just pretend I give a s**t and leave it at that.....

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

well ive recently (before this) like a 2 months ago

i replaced my O2 Sensor, Map Sensor, And the AC VAC Line

i can hear the fuel pump prime up

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

try swapping your old MAP back over first.... maybe its gone tits up?

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

sadly i didnt keep my old map

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:59 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura / FG XR6 / DF LTD

NSW, Australia

Sounds like blockage in the fuel line somewhere . Disconnect it at various points and blow compressed air through it in the reverse direction with an old stocking over the other end to catch whatever it is .

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:00 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 96 EF 5 Spd

VIC, Australia

Sounds like it could be a loose connection somewhere? Or maybe fuel pump could be nearing the end of its life, does it cut out if you accelerate hard from standing?

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

could it be to much fuel ??

i ran the KOEO test and everything is fine
but i ran the ER test and it said MAP sensor is way out
that was the only code it could give me before the car stalled

the stalling is getting worse before the car would idle for about 30 seconds in a big struggle before it would stall were as now it just stalls after 2 seconds

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

possible...you could be flooding it. Try pulling out a plug after it stalls on you and have a look at the colour to see if its getting drowned. But in all accounts things seem to be pointing towards the MAP.

Out of interest if you brought the revs up does it still stall? ie will it idle of without stalling at say 1000rpm?

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

yep looks like the car has been flooding

i pulled the spark plugs out yesterday and gave em a wipe down with a clean rag and they werent that bad and were pretty good and clean with a wipe down were as now i just pulled em out and they are all black and i can see misted fuel down all the spark plug holes

some so bad that when i took the spark plug out even without a torch you could see the misted fuel raise out of the spark plug holes

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

ok well at a guess and it is only a guess either your regulator has had the d**k or possibly the MAP isnt doing its job(thats if I uderstand its purpose correctly). Are you able to get a lend of either form someone to test it out?

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

sadly i cant get a change over ill have to buy sensors from a wreckers to get by

ok now here is something weird

i got the engine going after cleaning the throttle body (had alot of oil in it) and cleaning all the sensors plugs but the engine still needs a little help getting going once its warm it could just idle on its own in park but i wouldnt try in in drive lol

but it hunts goes up 100RPM then back down and does that constantly even if i hold it on 1100RPM idle it will still hunt to 1200RPM then back down to 1100RPM and repeat this over and over the ISC is making the car hunt i can hear it kicking in and out

the motor sure does get hotter alot fast during this so wouldnt that indicate its running lean ?

and alot of condensation comes out the exhaust like alot especially considering i was only driving it yesterday like its filled the NF 6cyl tip with water and left a puddle on the concrete

i checked the oil no water is in it and im not loosing water that i can see...is it possible some how water got in my fuel...like by some sort of magic in the middle of the day during sunshine ?

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

hmm oil in throttle body cant be good..that would be a bit of a worry...

To me it sounds like your MAP has gone completely screwey....as I understand it the MAP works just like the power valve on a holley.....acts on vacuum to increase/decrease flow/mixture as per manifold vacuum (can someone please verify this?)

And yes if it is running real lean it will get hot quick check plugs to see if they look brown/dusty/burnt etc

If your motor is heating up real quick so is your exhaust thus condensation.

Pretty unlikely you got water in your petrol unless you got a real bad batch the last time you filled up...or you have an a***hole neighbour

Out of interest have you pulled out your MAF and had a look at it ? they seem to gum up pretty damn easy and can complicate other issues...mine would idle like a kitten but the minute you put your foot down it pinged its nuts off...It took 5 minutes and 20 bucks worth of MAF cleaner to sort it out

To me the 3 things you need ot look at are MAF, MAP and possibly the o2 sensor...all your issues seem to be to do with fuel level/mixture so from what I have read they are the usual culprits.

While I think of it..have you touched the timing at all?

Last edited by Landau510 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

disconnect the battery over night to reset the ecu.
clean the idle control solenoid, adjust base idle (disconnect the idle control solenoid, and make it so in neutral the car just idles on its own, then plug it in, also check the plug for the idle control, mine was broken and i had exactly this problem, no matter how much fuel was in the tank, if i slowed down to go around a corner or to stop at the lights, the car wouldnt idle, this sounds exactly the same, having oil in your throttle body isnt a good sign, now that its cleaned out, watch for more, how many kms on the engine?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Maybe check the PCV as well

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next