Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: ef noise
Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ef falcon

VIC, Australia

hi i hope some one can give me an idea
i have a lifter like noise in my car when i warms up . i have tryed 2 head 3sets of lifters 2 rocker arm asembleys and now i have just put stage 2 springs in to suit my 977b cam witch has the two shims per lifter but the noise is still there, it is always near number 5 or 6 cyl, i have checked the exhaust bolt and intake bolts also
if anyone has some idea it would be great or i may try and get washes to replace the top shim to see if oil is not getting through both shims
cheers

Post subject: Re: ef noise
Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 96 EF 5 Spd

VIC, Australia

may just need some oil that is thinner when warm? so it can get down those little bleed holes on the rocker arms

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

ill try that , but it just dose not make sense why it only one
thanks

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

With the single oil gallery feeding the front of the rocker assembly, there's a limit to how much pressure you'll have by the time it gets to the rockers for No. 5 & 6 cylinders. One solution is to put brass restrictors in Nos. 1, 3 & 5 oil return galleries in the head (and under the rocker gear). By doing that, you can force more oil out through the rockers.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:30 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

thanks for the advice but i dont understand when you say, restrictors under the rocker gear , would it be easier and would it work to get a hi volume oil pump

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The restrictors are small pieces of brass tube that are a press fit in the oil return holes. I used a tack hammer and drift to tap them in. Then, a small drill to resize the hole. They're available from cylinder head reconditioners. All they do is reduce each oil return hole by a few mm.

IMO, a high volume pump is not going to solve your problem. For street use, the Ford I6 engines have sufficient oil pressure with a stock oil pump. Have you had the engine running at idle with the rocker cover off to see if oil is being forced out of all the rockers?

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

hi no i have not had the rocker off , the last car i done that to oil sprayed everywhere, ill give that a look tho , do ya have to drill them out as i was hoping not to take the head off again
thanks for the help

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Prior to starting the engine with the rocker cover off, make up a temporary shield out of cardboard to go above the timing chain. You can stick it in place with some gaffer tape. Temporarily tie the spark plug leads together so they don't foul the rockers. You can jam a rag between the firewall and head to stop oil running down the back of the engine while it's idling.

The head doesn't need to come off to install the restrictors, just the rocker gear. I only passed a drill through the restrictors as the brass deforms a little during installation.

I've had the same problem as you for a while and, from what some other chaps have said on here, I need to drive the car for a while to let the HLAs settle down. Some go quiet soon after installation and some take longer. :D

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

ok cheers much appreciated, ill give that a go as i change the oil, hopfully this weekend it is a recoed engine about 30k ago and i think i may go a thinner oil to, i have 20w50 in ,think ill try 15w30
thanks alot for your help and time

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]