Fordmods Logo

EF occasional missfire 

Page 2 of 5 [ 75 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: EF occasional missfire
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Gli wagon

NSW, Australia

Any way I can check t see if the coil pack is bung?
If I go to an auto-electrician to check, might a well buy a new coil pack, and it still may not be the problem.
Many thanks for the replies.

EF GLi Wagon. Burgundy. Gas shocks. Rear sway bar. Nice stereo & speakers. Factory bull bar. Driving lights. Roof racks. Great car. 2nd owner. 147,000km.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

There's technically some multimeter checks that can be done - but people have ended up copping the runaround trying to go that path. You're pretty much on the money with it being a case of having a mech look at it (and hope they do know what they're doing) or just trying a new coilpack on spec.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

A mate also suggested cleaning out the throttle body.

EF GLi Wagon. Burgundy. Gas shocks. Rear sway bar. Nice stereo & speakers. Factory bull bar. Driving lights. Roof racks. Great car. 2nd owner. 147,000km.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:12 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Bought a coil pack from ebay ($30 delivered), so will chuck that in and see what happens.
Also, someone told me they disconnected the Cam Phase Sensor plug, and it solved their occasional misfire problem. Any thoughts on that?

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:40 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Took a punt yesterday and drove into Sydney, thrashed around there and came back up.
It was the same old story; started to miss-fire about 15 mins into the journey for a minute or so, then settled down and was great for the rest of the day - 230km all up.
One thing though; the fuel economy had gone to pot since this issue started. I usually get 12km/lt around Katoomba but it had gone up to a whopping 18km/lt.
Also, on the open road trip to to the Snowy Mtns last month is was a little bit more thirsty than usual, getting (I think) in the high 9km/lt range.
Now I have the new plugs (NGK instead of the autoline) and new leads, it's back to 12km/lt around here and yesterday it averaged 8.9km/lt for the trip.
So, fuel consumption has gone back to what it was before. I had thought that with the fuel consumption back to normal, the problem had been solved, but not so.
Anyway, the coils should be arriving today.
Oh yeah, as was suggested, I'll clean the idle speed controller if the coils do not arrive, or do not work. Should had done this first, but the coils have been ordered.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I doubt that th ISC would cause a miss fire.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Mustang

NSW, Australia

Where did you get a coil pack for $30? Cheapest i can find is 70 delivered

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:12 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

possible there is an injector playing up? dodgy lead or cracked plug? Your $30 coilpack may fix the issue though. Stuffed earth? You will need to fill us in after you do the coil pack. Your average litres per hundred is bloody good, sure your not getting those figures from a Corolla? Ford I6 are usually thirstier than that.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:54 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

The coil pack is second hand, off ebay.
The new ones were from $85-$177, so took a gamble. The seller had excellent feedback and advertised it as in excellent nick.
We'll see how it goes.
It's a pain, as I'm keen to get back to the Snowy Mtns for some fishing before my work starts in earnest.
Fuel economy; compared to most other drivers around me, I drive slow. It's not true, I just don't go over the speed limit, and cruise at about 95-100kph on the open road. If no traffic, I stick at 90-95kph, which is fast enough for me.
I rarely, if at all, play leadfoot with the pedal, and ALWAYS keep a smooth, constant throttle everywhere (and I mean everywhere).
As the car weighs in at 1,600kg, getting that mass moving is where most of the fuel is burnt, so I take it easy on the accelerator, and once on the go, it doesn't take much to keep that same mass moving.
Also, I only use the brakes when I need to....often the car will slow enough just taking the foot off the pedal (it's an auto, which helps) plus, I always keep three seconds away from the car in front, which not only means I don't ram anyone, but I'm rarely on the brakes.
Seems to me people are in a mad rush to get somewhere ten seconds earlier. Man, that burns up fuel, and for what?
I remember a test done in Adelaide many, many ears ago (excuse me if I've mentioned this previously); an ambulance, light flashing, siren blaring was sent on it's way into the city centre from a 'standard' 20 minute drive away. Another car followed, but had to follow EVERY rule - no speeding, no beating lights, etc.
The ambulance beat it by 90 seconds.
In a life and death case, that's important, but to do the shopping? No thanks.
Having said that, I do like flattening the throttle when overtaking, though. I don't do it often, but when I do, it's fun. The motor hammers.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Here, here with all of that! I've gotten into huge stoushes with people on the local news paper comments/feedback forum about all that - ie. that not being mouth frothing nuts to go at the speed limit +10kp is not the same as driving SLOWLY. I rarely go faster than 65, or 80 or 95 myself in 60, 80 and 100 zones respectively - but I get to those speeds REAL quick - and if I overtake, can go past someone at 110 like they're standing still - but by the same token, unless I definitely want to overtake I also hang back from the next car so there's a buffer and I'm not on and off the gas and brake - but god-dammit when I try to drive like that I'm constantly pulling over to let past the traffic banked up behind me and in my boot - WHO THEN ALL CRUISE AT THE SAME F*&^ING SPEED I WAS DOING IN THE FIRST PLACE - up the bum of the poor sucker who HAD a nice comfy gap back to me if there was a car ahead - else just the same even if the road is clear ahead... It's incredible - many people don't want to actually go faster - but they MUST be up the next car's f&^%ing date!!! - lines of idiots nose to tail with brake lights constantly blinking on and off + little puffs of black smoke from exhausts - insane!! Confront them and ask what the F is wrong with them and they'll GENUINELY have NO IDEA what you're talking about! "You just CAN'T travel the same speed as the next car but 50m back - that's too SLOW!! " :roll:

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:40 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

+1

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Wagon

ACT, Australia

Maybe check your vacume hoses and where they connect, I've had a few vacume leaks develop over the years in my EF. Sometimes you can hear the leak.

96 EF Wagon, PRINS VSI LPG, Wade 1636, 4480's, Redback zorst, Metalcat, 3 angle valve job, .5mm overbore, hypertec pistons, shaved head (because the head was banana shaped when I brought it), Tickford 16" alloys, KYB shocks, 30mm sway bar, 1 1/2 degrees negative camber, tow bar, roof racks.

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:30 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

You know, that's a good point.
I did it when the problem first began, but as it was going to a mechanic the next day I sorta rushed it. I'll do it today, and take my time.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:21 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

All is looking food....so far.
Had the new (s/h) coils fitted - yeah, the mechanic wasn't happy that it was second hand, but I just wanted to take a risk and see it if was the coils, figuring the chance of having another bung set was remote (and the guy who sold them reckoned they were fine).
It could be conformation bias, but the car felt instantly smoother after it was fitted.
The fuel consumption is also back to its usual level. This happened after I changed the plugs, but the miss-fire was still there, so I finally took the car for a decent drive yesterday and not a problem.
Of course, the reason the heading of the post is 'occasional' because it was just that - so it'll need a good road trip to find out, so I'm thinking of heading down to the snowys for some fishing next week.
Man, I'll be well bummed if it happens again, but so far all is good.
Who knows, it could have even been crap fuel that has now been flushed out?
Anyway, as I said, it SEEMS to be much smoother, the fuel economy is back and no missfire so far.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Yup, it's back.
Went for a drive to visit the Mt Tomah Botanical Gardens, and it started doing it when going up a steep hill - and continued all the way back, even at 60kph.

I note there is another post about this:

ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/ef-6cyl-falcon-missing-under-heavy-load-t118322.html

Seems to be a few doing it lately, and EF's at that, so is this an issue with the model, or cars this age in general?

Anyway, I risked a second-hand coil pack and now have to decide whether to get an OEM one first, or look at some other things.

One is a code reader - I'm presuming this is something a workshop would have, and they just attach it and see if the read out stacks up?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next