Fordmods Logo

EF Oil leak 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Oil leak
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Gday All,
Have an EF Fairmont.Done 133,000 Ks.Have an oil leak at head gasket at about 1/3 from front.It seems to be just a drop rather than under pressure. Does that suggest that it is coming from a return gallery from the over head gear or something more sinister.Would it be serious enough to need a gasket change.Also since I changed the oil and filter the oil pressure gauge has gone berserk.
Otterplanes

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:42 pm 
    Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

what do you mean the oil guage has gone berserk.. like the pressure has dropped or gone way up.. cold be the grade oil you have used.. in regards to the head gasket.. that is a costly job if you dont do it yourself.. it all depends how much oil it is using as to whether it is needing changing.. but keep an eye on it none the less.. good luck with it

EL XR6, 5 Speed Manual, Extractors, Exhaust, 3" Intake, EL GT Intake, Alpine sound system,lowered, 136rwkw.. to come.. another sub and boot install

Post subject: Ef Oil Leak
    Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:15 am 
    Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Thanks Macca,
    Yes the pressure goes all over the place,from low to up in the red high.Doesn,t settle down.Was told it could be air in the sender unit.No oil light comes on and motor is running fine.Oil is coming out on left side of gasket.Only a drop though.If the gasket needs doing I will do it myself and get the head surfaced and pressure tested at the same time.Just thought it may have been common on the e- range of motors as I have only had it for six months.
    Regards otterplanes

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:22 pm 
    Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

Otterplanes wrote:
    Thanks Macca,
    Yes the pressure goes all over the place,from low to up in the red high.Doesn,t settle down.Was told it could be air in the sender unit.No oil light comes on and motor is running fine.Oil is coming out on left side of gasket.Only a drop though.If the gasket needs doing I will do it myself and get the head surfaced and pressure tested at the same time.Just thought it may have been common on the e- range of motors as I have only had it for six months.
    Regards otterplanes
    yeah head gaskets are very common with them. i did mine on the xr at about the same k's you have on your car. sounds like your pressure switch is playin up bigtime for sure.. id do the head cos if its leakin oil out the side then it may start puttin water into the oil then you have problems.. they are pretty easy to do on the fords the only problem is the intake.. gotta love ford engineerin.. air sender unit?? you mean like a MAP sensor or something?? they dont have a mass airflow sensor like a commodore..

EL XR6, 5 Speed Manual, Extractors, Exhaust, 3" Intake, EL GT Intake, Alpine sound system,lowered, 136rwkw.. to come.. another sub and boot install

Sort by  
     Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]