EF PEFORMANCE CHIPS 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF PEFORMANCE CHIPS
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: Fairmont 95

NSW, Australia

Im considering on purchasing a performance chip for my EF 6.. i duno what the fk to look for so any people got ideas? how much? wats the best and is it worth it? ... thanks

8-) :lol: 4DZILR :lol: 8-)

= 4DZILR PERFORMANCE =

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Here are some rough prices -
Chiptorque - $600
Unichip - $1200
EMS Stinger - $1700
EMS 8860 - $2300

IMO the chiptorque is the best value for money. Unlike the unichip, it can remove/change your rev and speed limiters and has better capabilities for controlling idle if you got a big cam.

The ems are complete engine management systems (basically replace your ford computer) You will get the best results with these, but they cost the most $ are are overkill for most applications

I have a chiptorque in my EF (with exhaust, headwork, big cam). The biggest advantage of the chip is that it holds the air fuel ratio at 12.5 (or whatever you want it to) instead of the 10.5 which is what they seem to run at stock.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

does the chiptorque chip remove speed limiter?
me wants to know how!!

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

theres no point in getting a chip unless you actually do some engine work, check out its performance kits and then maybe look at getting something

for the money you spend on a chip you can easily get a lot more bang for your buck elsewhere on actual mechanical performance.

and speed limiter? who cares, how often do u need to get to 180km/h, plus unless xr6 u dont have a alloy tailshaft its not the smartest of things to do :)

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

are the xr6 ones alloy?
and are they 2 piece?

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Is the chiptorque one the one you have to send back to get it redone when you mod your engine again or can you get it done at a local place once its fitted?

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

I'm not really down with the lingo, but a general rule of thumb...

If the chip needs to be tuned on a dyno, it's worth it.

If it's "send it in the mail, plug it in" then not worth a piss in the wind. I'm not saying they dont work, but they're a real "hit and miss" affair. With the exception of Memmaster from CAPA as these are "pre-programmed" for standard engines running blowers.

Of course nothing beats real-time programmable ECUs like EMS. You'll find with a falcon may have to run both EEC and aftermarket ECU.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

WA, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
Here are some rough prices -
Chiptorque - $600
Unichip - $1200
EMS Stinger - $1700
EMS 8860 - $2300

IMO the chiptorque is the best value for money. Unlike the unichip, it can remove/change your rev and speed limiters and has better capabilities for controlling idle if you got a big cam.

The ems are complete engine management systems (basically replace your ford computer) You will get the best results with these, but they cost the most $ are are overkill for most applications

I have a chiptorque in my EF (with exhaust, headwork, big cam). The biggest advantage of the chip is that it holds the air fuel ratio at 12.5 (or whatever you want it to) instead of the 10.5 which is what they seem to run at stock.

Hmmm, realllllllllly :?:

The chiptourque, as described before is a pretuned chip, guessed for the aplication that your trying to run. Which, imo, s**t!
I had one, s**t-tastic!!!
Non very tunable, expensive for what they are and have a very limited tuning range.
Off the shelf NEVER works for ecu/fuel/ignition tuning.

The uni chip is better thne the chiptourque, but also poo poo imo.
Prob worth the extra money over the chiptourque, with mor tuning capabilities ect...
Tuned in house on a dyno, plenty of APS dealers to do this for you.
But again, not able to be tuned by user, cost money in the long run.
Also old school tech.

A stand alone ecu is great, but expensive.
You have to ask your self the question, "where will my car be at engin wise when im happy with it???'
coz if its a big cam or forced induction, there really isnt any other way, safely.
Worth every cent, imo
And tunable buy user, so not much dyno time wasting and money usage.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Chiptorques can be programmed for your specific car (or so they told me), but there are not many people around who can do it. The progam I have in mine is a modified HP4 and works very well. I gave them a lot of info to do it though - engine specs, cam specs, head flow figures, several dyno graphs, etc.

How much do you really want out of a chip anyway? The ford ECUs are OK, all I wanted was the mixture leaned out to 12.5 and some timing ajustments. The idle program of the chiptorque is a bonus. I dont care about the speed limiter being removed (I very rarely go over 110), but moving the rev limiter was a big deal. It is currently set at 6000, but I hit it on a semi regular basis so I might have it moved up a bit.

Now chiptorque say that there chip is good for 10rwkw (I got more out of it than that). I was quoted $1250 for unichip and was told they would get 10, maybe 15 if I was lucky. I was told I would get 25rwkw with an EMS Stinger for $1700. Even if unichip does get better results, I dont believe that it is good value for money considering the $/kw and features.

As said above, the return on a chip on a stock engine is small. Best do other mods first. IMO it is not worth chipping an engine until the cam shaft it changed.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
Chiptorques can be programmed for your specific car (or so they told me), but there are not many people around who can do it. The progam I have in mine is a modified HP4 and works very well. I gave them a lot of info to do it though - engine specs, cam specs, head flow figures, several dyno graphs, etc.

I know this coz i had one. But guesstimating doesnt work in the wonderful world of ecu's. Has to be done in real time otherwise its a waste of time.

Quote:
How much do you really want out of a chip anyway? The ford ECUs are OK, all I wanted was the mixture leaned out to 12.5 and some timing ajustments. The idle program of the chiptorque is a bonus. I dont care about the speed limiter being removed (I very rarely go over 110), but moving the rev limiter was a big deal. It is currently set at 6000, but I hit it on a semi regular basis so I might have it moved up a bit.

leaned out to 12.5:1 at what part of the range/load/tps exactly???

Quote:
Now chiptorque say that there chip is good for 10rwkw (I got more out of it than that). I was quoted $1250 for unichip and was told they would get 10, maybe 15 if I was lucky. I was told I would get 25rwkw with an EMS Stinger for $1700. Even if unichip does get better results, I dont believe that it is good value for money considering the $/kw and features.

A ecu/chips most noticable point isnt the top end power, more the drivability and general motoring around if tuned proplery. The top end is mainly due to a lil timing ajst and a lil fuel mixture ajst.

Quote:
As said above, the return on a chip on a stock engine is small. Best do other mods first. IMO it is not worth chipping an engine until the cam shaft it changed.

Thats rite, if it works, keep doin it, dont change something that is working fine. And if you do get a chip/ecu, pls get it tuned rite otherwise your throwing money away.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

AFR is 12.5 when the computer goes into open loop mode under heavy load. In this mode the ECU is controlling everything based on pre-programmed maps. Chiptorque changes these to give the correct AFR and timing. The rest of the time the Ford computer controlls AFR using the O2 sensor and keeps it at 14.7.

Drivability was never a problem. Just a crap idle and running rich under load. I was going to get an EMS 8860 but it was going to take 2 weeks to get my car booked in and I wanted the damm thing back on the road. The Chiptorque was just going to be just a quick temp fix, but it impressed me with how well it worked for something so simple. I cant really justify the money now to replace it with the 8860.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

[quote="stockstandard"]AFR is 12.5 when the computer goes into open loop mode under heavy load. In this mode the ECU is controlling everything based on pre-programmed maps. Chiptorque changes these to give the correct AFR and timing. The rest of the time the Ford computer controlls AFR using the O2 sensor and keeps it at 14.7. [quote]

So your trying to tell me most of the time its runing at 14.7. hmmmmm

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

SVO XR6 wrote:

At cruise, yes. When I am accelerating, 12.5.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
SVO XR6 wrote:

At cruise, yes. When I am accelerating, 12.5.

yeap, put that on a a/f meter and come tell me later.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

A very interesting debate you have go going their Stock standard and SVO XR6. Why not set just set the base idle a bit more. Like others have suggested on other Topics :?:

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next