Fordmods Logo

EF project. 

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef fairmont,

QLD, Australia

turbo the little bugger ,chip it ,3.45-3.9 diff(4.11 high rev on highway use 3000 odd rpm at 110ks) then when the engine goes caput get one for like $200 and do the head work,pistons and s**t like that then. just run lowish boost while on stock engine 5-8psi, ef/el xr6 3.45 diff is the easist way, go the pacemakers if you dont turbo it , and yes the 775 injectors and xr6 fuel reg will go down well

95 ef montfor sale pm for info, 88 hilux mud truck

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: tickford el xr6

SA, Australia

"BWAHAHA - check your injector duty cycle mate"

-my injectors are fine at the power i have at the moment we have already looked at that, he only changes them around the 180 mark, i think he uses magna injectors. so yeah mine are fine thanks :)

EL XR6 5spd - 165rwkw

-"Game... NOT OVER!"

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

tickford666 wrote:
"BWAHAHA - check your injector duty cycle mate"

-my injectors are fine at the power i have at the moment we have already looked at that, he only changes them around the 180 mark, i think he uses magna injectors. so yeah mine are fine thanks :)

You do realise to achieve 165rwkw (genuine) you need to run std injectors at 125% of their maximum flow capacity?

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

i know that mine definately have not been changed and i definately have 165rwkw, come along to his dyno day in march, i will be there and you can eat your own words :) i will pm you the date and time. until then you should not open your mouth if you dont know what you are talking about. all i said is what is fact about my car and mine only.

EL XR6 5spd - 165rwkw

-"Game... NOT OVER!"

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I am not debating if your car makes 165rwkw or not, I am just staying that there is no way on earth that the combination of a factory fuel pressure regulator and factory injectors can support this power.

Are you sure that Bruce hasn't crunched your FPR for more pressure?

My Ef had dangerously high duty cycles (96%) with Bosch 775's (magna injectors) with leanish AFR's and I was still under 150rwkw.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

i just rang bruce then and he assures me that my car is on the std injectors and std fpr with the power that i have, he said that if i want to get anything more then i would have to go larger injectors, but you are more than free to give him a call, he is at his workshop at the moment

#Heinrich Performance & Tuning
# 26 Donegal Rd Lonsdale 5160
# (08) 8186 2163

back to the forum discussion
so like i said, to make 165 odd rwkw you are fine with std injectors.......

by the way my name is adrian, ask about my el xr6

EL XR6 5spd - 165rwkw

-"Game... NOT OVER!"

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I just spoke to bruce and here is what he said

Yes your injectors and reg are standard and they are maxed at at WOT at the moment.

The 165rwkw was measured on a dyno-dynamics dyno which wasnt running shootout software, and the correction factors he put in were only an estimate. He admitted to me on the phone you car may only make 150rwkw in shootout with the right correction factors.

If that is the case, your car is spot on where me, Bosch, Crow, & JMM have all found the standard fuel system dies.

So yeah, have to be careful when you tell people not to upgrade their fuel system to match to power output.

Last edited by stockstandard on Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Oh and I dont want to show any disrespect or bad-mouth Bruce. He is a top bloke and has probably forgotten more about these engines than most of us will know.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

thats fine, but that doesnt denote the fact that thats the power it has and the standard parts are what it has, it "might" make 150 on shootout, i doubt it would drop 15rwkw maybe less than that but it is still running std injectors and std fpr, which you said it wouldnt work. yet mine does?

edit: fair enough, ill leave it at that then.

EL XR6 5spd - 165rwkw

-"Game... NOT OVER!"

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

That is kind of a point, it does work but it doesnt. Lets not worry how many rwkw your car has for now (dynos are a great tuning tool but suck for comparative figures), your injectors are maxed out which means under full throttle conditions your ECU cant adjust the air to fuel ratio. It just opens the injectors up and lets the fuel pump and fuel reg push as much fuel as they will. If something goes wrong, there is no safety margin. It is like having your radiator half full of coolant and not doing anything about it because the car is not overheating.

Ideally you want your injector duty cycles around 80% (no more than 90%). This give the ECU enough head room to control the air fuel ratio no matter what the conditions, trims or enrichment. The injector sizing works out quite nicely for our engines - take your flywheel horsepower and divide by 10 and that is how many pound injectors you need to keep the duty cycle in the safe 80-90% range.

Even wonder why the xr6's have a bigger reg than the standard falcons, that is because the few extra kw they have over a standard falcon takes them to 95% of the injector rating. Using the 300kpa reg brings it down to 90% whcih is exactly the same as the non-tickford engines.

I know this is getting off topic but I think it is an interesting discussion.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

-next time i will think a bit more before deeming something as being "unneccesary"

it is a good discussion.

EL XR6 5spd - 165rwkw

-"Game... NOT OVER!"

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:36 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

NSW, Australia

you say you want around 165rwkw. but its not the kw's that give you your acceleration, its the torque thats produced, when its produced in the rev range and how it gets to the wheels. as for t5, if you have a good 4spd auto their as good if not better than a manual. i have an efgli that can out accelerate an wrx or ss comm without much trouble, by that i mean, i dont need to flog its a** out to get results. although i do want the late 80's magna injectors. also there is a xr6t running lpg that gets similar fuel economy as a petrol engine but produces 450kw. power and economy, mostly due to lpg's lower price.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

les7918 wrote:
as for t5, if you have a good 4spd auto their as good if not better than a manual.

Not for naturally aspirated I6's. The 1st gear ratio on the auto is terrible. With all other things the same, a manual will put an auto falcon to shame every day of the week.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
les7918 wrote:
as for t5, if you have a good 4spd auto their as good if not better than a manual.

a manual will put an auto falcon to shame every day of the week.

absolutely, i had mine changed from auto to manual made an awesome difference against uncles wrx, still cant beat him through 1st though, but i have never experienced so BAD backlash sinse i had it put in, i wish i had my auto back :'(

EL XR6 5spd - 165rwkw

-"Game... NOT OVER!"

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

NSW, Australia

iv talked to one of the ford repair places in penrith and they said the 4sp auto is better geared than the 5sp unit. iv done in man and auto 5.7 comms easy, they rev to limiter, i took mine to 4500 without much trouble and still was in front. same with rexs. also had a guy a P plater with a turbo pulsar, took him easy, i let him go without over exceeding the spd limit but the noise it made as he went past, talk about over revving, the sound was terrible. better and cheaper to trick the 4spder in my opinion.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next