Fordmods Logo

EF questions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: EF questions
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon

NSW, Australia

Hey everyone I own an auto EF falcon and want to put a cam in it without the big hassle of converting it to a manual and so on. The cam i was looking at was either the 977b from wade or the JMM equivilant. I am aware about the long first gear in the auto plus the poor idle the cam will give so I would also budget for a transmission cooler, shift kit, Hi stall, J3 chip and eventually a 3.45 LSD. What i want to know is whether with these mods to the auto i will get good performance from these cams or am i better off sticking to say a 1673? It may also be a little while before i can get the LSD together so will it lack too much without it for a little while? This is the first time i have posted here so any advice would be appreciated. :)

Post subject: Re: EF questions
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Contact Joe at CMS and talk to him about his stage 2a cam and head package, you will love it and the idle is like stock. You won't need a chip with the 2a, works great with the stock ECU.

Big question is what sort of numbers are you after?

Trans cooler on the BTR in an E series is always highly recommended, modified or stock.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Having done 3.08 to 3.45 diff change AND auto to manual conversion on my old ED and then recently keeping my EF auto with std 3.08 diff but fitting a hi-stall - I personally recommend staying auto and fitting a hi-stall converter. Lower diff ratio will improve bottom end even more.

Not sure what you mean about missing out by not having LSD for a while - a std diff STILL DRIVES BOTH WHEELS!! - you won't lose drive unless the surface is really crap under one wheel or the other. Don't get me wrong, an LSD can be a good thing - with awareness of it's limitations - ie. they can be a menace in certain circumstances if you don't understand what's going on - but it bugs me that people seem to think their rear end is ONLY being driven by one wheel like some kiddy go kart UNLESS they have LSD...

I've never had LSD either in my 5.0 Commondung or in the ED or now in the EF - and in all three I can manage to leave TWO lines very handily thankyou very much! Personally I prefer the "open" diff because on occasion when getting a bit too heavy on the gas in corners or hitting a bad patch of road the car has held straight rather than turning into a sideways + crossed up adventure - one of the things you CAN look forward to when you DO get LSD BTW.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

LSD is great fun. get all crossed up wheel flyin all ways.
just learn to control it.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Falcon

WA, Australia

i have a 977b110 in my auto EF, Idles fine, doesnt have a j3 chip or high stall.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

My recommendation for a high stall is nothing to do with idle etc. - but purely to do with making it launch MUCH better - and it will generally drive much better too - ie. will FEEL like the engine is much more directly connected to the driveline. It will drive much more like it's manual.

In the EF I no longer suffer in traffic from that frustrating "slushbox" sponginess / elastic band type lag and it comes off the line as well as I was ever able to manage with my manual ED. Overall I've found the hi-stall to be a huge surprise - it doesn't behave at all like I expected it too - ie. I kinda thought it would mean lots of engine flaring and doughyness but in fact it's quite the opposite...

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Mustang Ford

Oustide Australia

Benny D wrote:
LSD is great fun. get all crossed up wheel flyin all ways.
just learn to control it.

Yeah I agree. I hope that I can also learn how to control it. :D

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the advice everyone :) umm what i ment about the diff was whether or not the taller gearing would affect first gear acceleration too much until i have the funds to get different gearing at which time i will get an LSD.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]