Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EF rebuild questions
Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

hey all

just need some help clarifying thoughts in my head/parts needed/prices/what to get done etc for my rebuild. i've got some of it sorted, but i'm pretty new to all this so confusing myself with a lot of it!

so, the deal is as follows: EF I6, taken from EFII Ghia w/ 150,000kms. all in v. good condition. stripped right down for rebuild.

starting from the top:

-have new lifters, will get injectors sorted (either recon stds or upgrade to 24's - have unichip to run), crow double valve springs, RPD Rspec4 cam, RPD rocker gear, tickford head, AU head gasket

questions: how much to shave head? how much to port & polish head? port-match? what to do with valves etc? i'm not too sure on all this, need to have some direction lol

bottom end:

-have new oil/water pumps, gaskets etc, want to redo all welch plugs, std crank, new harmonic balancer & pulleys etc, ACL race-series pistons & rings

questions: to hone/bore or not to? mechanic has looked over block, reckons its very clean, doesn't *need* any, but open to suggestions! what ACL pistons/rings to get? i realise this is based on any boring etc, but assuming stock, should i get replacement EF ACL ones, or go for earlier/later model ones?

please give an idea on costs - its going into the mechanic (i have *most* parts sorted) but need to know how much to have in the bank - all parts & machining will be at trade price, labour is not an issue - thats being sorted outside of these prices!

anything else, please suggest. motor is intended to be a strong N/A build (so i'm gunning for higher compression? 10.5:1 or so?) with unichip to run it all, in front of a T5 - just to give an idea what it'll be running with!

cheers!

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

dude reading you have pretty much sused out, only thing i can suggest of running a decent intake setup and exhaust setup cause a eninge with a heap of work done to it is notihng without a good intake/exhaust setup.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

intake: AUIII XR8 snorkel, K&N pod (enclosed), sequential scoop & airbox lid, 3in mandrel intake, ported TB

exhaust: pacemaker 4499's, lukey exhaust, hi-flo cat

so that side of things is there as well! :P

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Frase, Do you intend to give the T5 a going over as well ?

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Frase, Do you intend to give the T5 a going over as well ?

not too sure :?

what can be done (within reason)?

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Check the bearings, check gears for chips/pitting, check 5th/reverse rail pin for cracking, replace seals, etc.
Not much point doing up a donk and having a T5 on the back of unknown serviceability.
T5's are not hard to pull down - if I can do it anyone can . . . :P .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I'd sort the engine out, gearbox would be a peice of piss to do later if you have the mulla spare...
Prolly want a nice clutch for it. I run a PBR/Clutch Industries on the Valiant and it's awsome.

I'm very interested in hearing the responses to your boring and porting and what not, as I think I'm going to try to get a hold of a EL Hybrid donk end of Christmas to get rebuilt. 6 weeks of tax free work with the reserves (being sent away so not like I'll even get a chance to spend the money) so should be able to. Although I want to built it for as much low and mid range torque - but that should really only effect my camshaft choices, as I would of thought pistons and headwork is benificial right through the rev range.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]