Fordmods Logo

ef rev problem (urgent) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: ef rev problem (urgent)
Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ka laser

NSW, Australia

hey guys we have jsut replaced the motor in our ef ford wagon and now when eva we start it it will not idle under 1500rpm has anyone got any idea of what the problem could be? plz help ungerntly

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

Two things I can think of, the idle speed controller is sticking on, the cylinder looking think on top of the throttle body. Or I've found on mine, sometimes I've bumped the accelerator cable and it doesn’t sit in the housing on the rocker covers correctly, and holds the butterfly open. Check that it closes completely, also there is a small adjustment screw that you can wind back to adjust how far the accelerator cable will sit closed.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

hey im gunna try the idle screw tommorow i checkd the otheres nto long ago and can not see anythign rong with any of them so yea any more ideas guys

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

maybe a manifold leak.. The only way for it to idle high is to let more air in. try dissconnecting the idle speed controller and see what happens..

Good luck..

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

how do your brakes feel? not to hard to push in??

could have a leak in the vacuum hose or a crack in the booster.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:39 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Also if you reset the ECU, it maywell still be learning... just a thought.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA ute, FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

I know you replaced the motor - is the gearbox the same? I'm assuming you didn't do an auto to manual conversion at the same time?

Spray carbi cleaner around the intake and engine bay surrounding the intake. Note whether your revs change. If fine, remove and clean out your ISC (why not, you got some carbi cleaner?)

Reset the ECU, put into diagnostic mode and reset your base idle. If Auto - go through callibration steps for gearbox TPS.

Good luck.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

hey mate yea all we done was change the motor. the motor we bought alread had the fuel injection and s**t all bolted on still so we didnt bolt anything on rong.
how do u reset the ecu and s**t like u were sayin to do i kno how to get into diagnostic mode by pressing the odo reset button for 10secs while off then turn to on and press 3 times holding the last one until seatbelt light goes of but how do u rest the ecu and do the stuff u were saying?

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA ute, FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

To clean Idle speed solenoid

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=23

To set base idle.

I'm sure there are extensive doco's on this, anyway; When you remove the fuse box panel you will see to your left, a large pin-connector. You need to bridge (short out) the two pins on the furthermost left side of that connector (the first two pins above and below each other). Just get a flat piece of clean metal, bend it in half (so it is slightly sprung out) and wedge it between the pins and the side of the plastic connector.

Start the car in diagnostic mode (as described), run for 2 minutes then switch the car off (1 click of the key). Now disconnect the idle controller connector (top rearmost connector on throttle body).

You are going to need a feeler guage (0.75mm). Before adjusting the idle, you will need to slide it between the idle adjustment screw and the throttle body (to open the throttle that little bit).

Insert the feeler guage, restart the car and let the engine run without interference for approx 45 seconds (for the revs to settle). You now have 1 minute to adjust your idle via the adjustment screw. If you run out of time, simply turn the engine off again (1 key click) and restart the engine (wait until the revs settle then continue adjustment. RPM should be adjusted to 700 RPM-750 RPM.

Once done, remove the metal bridge from the diagnostic connector, reconnect the isc and remove the feeler guage. Restart the car and allow to idle without any throttle. Does his correct the problem?

Then to reset ECU and setup gearbox tps (you should do this!)

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14077

Hope this helps

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]