Fordmods Logo

EF rough idle, bad economy and other related issues. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: EF rough idle, bad economy and other related issues.
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Well my EF II tickford ghia has an annoying rough idle. It's more aggressive than rough, not that consistent but when it does go rough it shakes very aggressively.

Not only that but if I put it to D every time from P or N the idle will drop and the car shakes aggressively, it gets close to stalling then goes back up to normal. Also if I have my foot on the brake at the lights in D it vibrates a fair bit, Shifting to N solves this, it's not crazy vibrations like some magna's I've been in but enough to make it noticeable.

I'm also struggling to get 340k's to a tank with mixed city/country driving. Pretty sure that was on 98 too. I keep it under 2000RPM and it sees 5000RPM for say only 20 seconds average each tank.

Fuel filter, oxygen sensor, air filter, plugs, clean ISC/TB, leads have been replaced.

Any ideas what could be causing it? Car only has 180 000k's.Cat or Vac leaks maybe? Put it in for an RWC and they found no problems, think the idle is too low/not consistent for it to be a vacuum leak.

Post subject: Re: EF rough idle, bad economy and other related issues.
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford ba

NSW, Australia

ILLaViTaR wrote:
Well my EF II tickford ghia has an annoying rough idle. It's more aggressive than rough, not that consistent but when it does go rough it shakes very aggressively.

Not only that but if I put it to D every time from P or N the idle will drop and the car shakes aggressively, it gets close to stalling then goes back up to normal. Also if I have my foot on the brake at the lights in D it vibrates a fair bit, Shifting to N solves this, it's not crazy vibrations like some magna's I've been in but enough to make it noticeable.

I'm also struggling to get 340k's to a tank with mixed city/country driving. Pretty sure that was on 98 too. I keep it under 2000RPM and it sees 5000RPM for say only 20 seconds average each tank.

Fuel filter, oxygen sensor, air filter, plugs, clean ISC/TB, leads have been replaced.

Any ideas what could be causing it? Car only has 180 000k's.Cat or Vac leaks maybe? Put it in for an RWC and they found no problems, think the idle is too low/not consistent for it to be a vacuum leak.

check the inlet manifold gaskert possibly split aroung no 5 or 6 cylinders

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

intake gasket. mine went but the fuel economy was still ok

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I also forgot, the oil pressure drops drastically when at idle/rest. Most the time the gauge will drop to complete zero and the light will beep.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Aux shaft. My sincerest condolences. but as soon as you said oil pressure, thats what i immediately think it has to be

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

It sounds like its going to be an expensive job, just had my oil pump die, it costs alot, i just got a secondhand low k engine for $1400 fitted, get it checked asap matey before you get stuck somewhere.

And the sooner you get it checked the more likely it will cost you less :)

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

ILLaViTaR wrote:
I also forgot, the oil pressure drops drastically when at idle/rest. Most the time the gauge will drop to complete zero and the light will beep.

Is this the same engine you toasted recently????

First thing I would do is fresh oil and new oil filter. Oil may be diluted due to internal headgasket leak.

If still doing it and only when engine is warm it's probably excessive bearing clearance......If it has low oil pressure at cold/warm then something to do with the oil pump or pickup..

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Last edited by EL__Fairmont on Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
ILLaViTaR wrote:

Is this the same engine you toasted recently????

Yep same motor.

This is not looking good, the oil pressure only drops when stopped at the lights in D, any other time and it's perfect sits dead center.

Pretty sure it's only when warm. It does it once every few days and when it does it drops all the time at every stop.

Probably the damn bearings, so what does this affect? Would this explain my fuel problem and lack of torque up hills? Think I'm also missing power in general.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]