Ef running rough!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Ef running rough!!
Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL2 xr8

VIC, Australia

I'm sorry for posting annoying topics lately guys!

But,
I installed a 1636 wade camshaft (regrind) with the extra shims and that,
Car was running rough and was stalling. So I cleaned out the throttle body with some carby cleaner from autobahn and the she was good, apart from the up and down idling I got which I thought was just the ecu relearning what it had.

So anyway long story short, the car needed a service and my mechanic replaced the air flow meter and the car was better but still a ran abit like a pig. He said it's probably the ecu still learning. I've been driving it around now for nearly 2 weeks now and it still occasionally runs rough with it's idling and can stall at times.

Sorry about the novel :(

I fitted the 1636 camshaft to the original head and didn't fit a venier gear I think they are called, is this wats throwing it out or Is there a way to increase the "something" on the tb to stop it idling like a prick!!

Thanks guys would love to hear some feed back!! :D

Post subject: Re: Ef running rough!!
Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

When I had a 1636, a mechanic pointed out that a bit more fuel pressure would fix the idle problem. While the engine was running, he squeezed the fuel return hose and the idle smoothed out. That said, you could fit a 300kPa fuel reg from an EF/EL XR6.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL2 xr8

VIC, Australia

Yeah I currently have a 300kpa fuel reg and au fuel injectors along with the xr6 ecu cause I have the 3.45 diff to go with it.
Hmmm, I'm just really confused :s
Thanks heaps shortshift!! :)

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

I had problems with the engine surging while cruising at 100km/h. IMO if you've exhausted all the possibilites for fixing the idle (eg. plugs, leads, fuel filter, vacuum leaks, etc), the next step is a J3 chip. After installing it, a dynotune will pinpoint where any fuel and timing issues are.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Last edited by Shortshift on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
Have you fiddled with the distributor timing? You can advance the timing a bit. I had problems with the engine surging while cruising at 100km/h. IMO if you've exhausted all the possibilites for fixing the idle (eg. plugs, leads, fuel filter, vacuum leaks, etc), the next step is a J3 chip. After installing it, a dynotune will pinpoint where any fuel and timing issues are.

It's an EF, doesn't have a dizzy and you can't adjust the timing like that with an EF.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:41 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 92 EB S

NSW, Australia

I'd just love to know where he plugged in the airflow meter?

The cam timing can affect idle, advanced is usually better idle sacrificing topend, retarded good top end sacrificing idle, but it's always going to be a bit rough until you can tune the fuel and ignition tables, ie J3. A regrind lumpier cam without a vernier gear into a factory ECU was never going to yield grin-from-ear-to-ear results.

DIAL IT IN AND TUNE THE b**ch!!! :)

JackoTJK

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

+1 for getting a TI Performance J3 - I've just finally done this and wondering WTF I didn't do it about 10 years ago when this cam was still in my ED with BBM and EL ECU etc.!!! The car drives so much better and now is just hop in, turn the key and go - with ear to ear grin just an inevitable side effect...

Next I really should organise an adjustable cam gear as I have used this cam in another car with adjustable gear and have seen how having it spot on does make a slight noticeable difference - but for what it's worth my advice is spend the $205 on a J3 first, THEN do the gear sometime in the future - the J3 will make far more difference straight up than tweaking the cam timing will.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]