Fordmods Logo

EF Six Cylinder Engine Misfiring 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Six Cylinder Engine Misfiring
Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:04 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I have a 1996 EF Futura Auto. with 160,000 Klms. Original head gasket. I have been experiencing a problem with the engine occasionally misfiring. This only happens when the engine is under load like going up a hill. The engine will misfire and if I push or let off the throttle a millimetre or so either way the misfire stops. For those of you who know the Wollongong area this happens when travelling up Mt Ousley heading to Sydney which I do 4/5 times per week. This morning when travelling south on the F6 the same happened when going up one of the slight uphill grades, the engine was only under slight load, the gearbox was NOT in economy mode and the box changed down out of the overdrive. This problem also occurs with the economy switch on.Any clues about this annoying problem??? Thank's[/img]

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

possibly start witht he easy stuff. plugs and leads.
do you know when they were last changed? it may be worth doing them.

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:30 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

3 potential issues I see here..
Firstly check your plugs.. may need to be regapped of replaced..
Secondly, Failing it being your plugs it may be leads, you may need to replace..
Third.. now this is the one you don't want to be the issue.. is your coil pack.. but from the symptoms you have described, I would suggest either fouled plus of a failing lead.
Plugs you can get cheap, do the lot, looking at about $35,
Leads, for the EF you need to get them in a set, a set of top guns are pretty good for most uses, your looking at about $80ish.. round that mark anyway.. inspect your plugs first and go from cheapest to more expensive..
Best of luck..

and welcome to the forums.

Dave

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thank's for the quick replies, what you suggest sounds like it might be the ticket, had trouble some time ago with plug lead being loose, had forgotten about it. Will replace plugs first and then leads. Thank's again

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Man, change the plugs and leads, if that dont work get the ecu check for fault codes. cos it isnt worth replacing everything it "could" be, but more worthwhile replacing what it "is". same s**t happened to me was gonna change heaps of stuff. took it to the mechanic turned out the cam angle sensor was no more and i had the same problems u described. could also be vacume leaks. theres a lot of small things that can cause a big problem

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]