Fordmods Logo

EF six removal? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EF six removal?
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF GLi 5 speed

NSW, Australia

Hi. I am going to be taking my engine out tomorrow (gearbox is no longer attached), and was wondering if i need to take out the radiator, and what the procedure for removal is. I have a crane that doesn't swivel.
It's going to be replaced by an AU XR6 motor I have, complete with engine mounts (can I use the AU mounts?)

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

Yes, take the radiator out and use a piece of ply or similar to protect the aircon condensor from the harmonic balance banging into it.
Make sure you attach your chain across the middle of the engine, say at no3 cyl exhaust across to the inlet side, not fore and aft. It's easier to get the front of the engine tilted up so it doesn't catch at the rear of the rocker cover. I see you've no 'box attached but i still find it easier this way. The only rule about AU & engine mounts I know is use the steel brackets from the receiving car, the pads may be the same, I'm not sure, visually check them against the EFs.
Pad the guards with mats or towels etc for when you swing the engine out.
Either have the car raised on four stands, or the rear up high and front low, wheels well chocked if on the ground. Attach a rope to the front of the bonnet and throw it over the roof to the rear, remove the lower bolts on the bonnet struts and pull the rope to raise it higher and tie it off. Not too high that it crashes backwards onto the roof.
Slide your crane in and attach your chains and gently take the weight of the engine, remove the lower engine mounting bolts. You should have removed or unclipped everything else by this time as per the workshop manual, including the aircon compressor, fuel lines, looms etc.
The above tips work for me and aren't in the manual, everything else is in the manual and very simple if you follow it carefully.
Cheers,
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:29 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Thanks a bunch!

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:29 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Paulmac wrote:
Yes, take the radiator out and use a piece of ply or similar to protect the aircon condensor from the harmonic balance banging into it.
Make sure you attach your chain across the middle of the engine, say at no3 cyl exhaust across to the inlet side, not fore and aft. It's easier to get the front of the engine tilted up so it doesn't catch at the rear of the rocker cover. I see you've no 'box attached but i still find it easier this way. The only rule about AU & engine mounts I know is use the steel brackets from the receiving car, the pads may be the same, I'm not sure, visually check them against the EFs.
Pad the guards with mats or towels etc for when you swing the engine out.
Either have the car raised on four stands, or the rear up high and front low, wheels well chocked if on the ground. Attach a rope to the front of the bonnet and throw it over the roof to the rear, remove the lower bolts on the bonnet struts and pull the rope to raise it higher and tie it off. Not too high that it crashes backwards onto the roof.
Slide your crane in and attach your chains and gently take the weight of the engine, remove the lower engine mounting bolts. You should have removed or unclipped everything else by this time as per the workshop manual, including the aircon compressor, fuel lines, looms etc.
The above tips work for me and aren't in the manual, everything else is in the manual and very simple if you follow it carefully.
Cheers,
Paul

Basically what he said, though with the bonnet, I suggest you remove the plastic cover that runs along the bottom of the windscreen to be removed, it can snap when the bonnet is moved towards the back. I had someone hold the bonnet up while the engine was coming out.

When I took my engine out, I put the power steering pump clear from any parts of the engine and also had the alternator removed previously because I needed it to be on the other motor. Remove the air-conditioning unit clear of the engine and make sure the piping does not get bent or could be in a position to be jammed and snap...if the refrigerant comes out...run away from the engine bay in any direction as fast as possible.

Radiator needs to come out to create more clearance. While it is out you might want to flush it to make sure it isn't blocked...or just get a new one and chuck it in.

When you lift the engine out, you don't have to have it on an angle...I had mine horizontal and it came out quiet well, though that is due to having 4 people standing there giving a hand. One taking control of the crane, 2 for holding up bonnet (not sure why we had 2...they were bored) and another watching all angles of the engine to make sure nothing is caught.

Make sure all the piping hoses and electrical wiring is removed and clear from the engine.

Remove slowly and be patient...don't be snappy or else the s**t can hit the fan. When it does, the engine will be the least of your worries.

Another thing...if you don't have a chain, old seat belts can work wonders, but make sure if you use a seat belt as a chain...don't cut it too long, they tend to stretch a further 40-50% of their original length.

Ummm besides it should be straight forward. I found it to be quiet easy, just tedious getting parts off and cleaning it and then putting it back in, paid off in the end to take my time though...if you want, get bags and label them with what bolts go where and put the bolts in their designated bags.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:40 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Excellent! Excellent! Thanks I'll let you know how it went :)

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

if it were me id remove the bonnet completely. mark the hinges before you do and it will be eas to re-align. its only 4 bolts and one less thing to get in the way.

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]