" EF " SPEEDWAY ENGINE . 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Post subject: Re: speedway engine
Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SPEEDWAY 5 wrote:
Thanks Tickford_6 , some great info , do you have any ideas about who would make manifolds to suit 4.0 / holly's ? Am still unsure if I can even run a tickford head (rules) because it is standard ford , but have been told EL Hybrid has same valves and ports ...

if the rules state you have to run the head AS CAST then you can run a tickford head. it was available of the show room floor and it not ported, it just a different casting

Post subject: speedway
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

just a bit of advise dont use a EF or an AU block & running a dizzy in them I've had several comming in from a slight miss to a no start situation, the thing is that they don't show up with the problem untill 8 months or more after the dizzys being fitted..

Post subject: Re: speedway
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

AUXR8 2 wrote:
just a bit of advise dont use a EF or an AU block & running a dizzy in them I've had several comming in from a slight miss to a no start situation, the thing is that they don't show up with the problem untill 8 months or more after the dizzys being fitted..

so is it an alignment problem with the drive gear or something els.

Post subject: speed way
Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

to be ohnest with you I havent had time to look into seeing why they chew the gears all I know is that the first thing I ask the owner when he comes in with a specific problem as they all start out in the same manner has he done an engine change...then if yes, then I stick the 4 gas up the pipe & you can see the readings, worst case is when there cranking they back fire...........

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

The best flowing head is the EB SERIES HEAD...marked 91AA. they flow more then any other in stock form. Supposed to be 330HP

The best bottom end is AU... Better crank, pistons and rods are stronger and lighter, they have a larger big end...and a crank girdle stock and they can be revved harder without causing a problem. and are SMOOTH.

if your not porting or anything like that... slap an EB head on an AU block
work out the compression and stuff.. i think that will lower comp so you may need to shave the head and deck the block to get disired compression then cam it, and i wouldnt use the CFI manifold, flow s**t...

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

AUXR8 2 wrote:

weird ive been running an AU block for almost 2 years. 0 issue with the dizzy????

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

just read back tickford6 says the AU rods are weaker?? hmm maybe.. they do run longer rods and shorter pistons... put it this way in N/A form you will never bend a rod.

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

edfairmont4.0 wrote:
weird ive been running an AU block for almost 2 years. 0 issue with the dizzy????

most of the ones that I see havent been fully overhauled there swaped out from another car then the dizzys thrown in them so maybe when you've rebuilt yours the aux gear was changed ??? but I'm only going on what I've seen & the problem seems to be consistant when that happens...

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

hmmm yeah i got my au block with 50,000km...

then not long ago fully rebuilt it... so yea probably got a new aux gear.

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

thats very possible though the aux gear is probably SLIGHTLY different when they have the cam angle sensor so yea it can probably be changed to suit the dizzy style gear from a dizzy block.

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

what ebfairmont4.0 said about the EB is right, they are the best head when stock, but the AU is the best head if you want to port it. And are cheaper because there isn't alot you have to do to them. with this guy, $350 on an AU head will get you 362hp flow.

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_109232/article.html

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:32 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

with the au engine mine has aparently killed the aux shaft after 40,000kms..
the engine died with 110,000 on it..
mine is the 6th one ive heard off, with the aux aux shaft dying after putting a dizzy in...

i heard the 94ab head was the best flowing???

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

edfairmont4.0 wrote:
The best flowing head is the EB SERIES HEAD...marked 91AA. they flow more then any other in stock form. Supposed to be 330HP

The best bottom end is AU... Better crank, pistons and rods are stronger and lighter, they have a larger big end...and a crank girdle stock and they can be revved harder without causing a problem. and are SMOOTH.

if your not porting or anything like that... slap an EB head on an AU block
work out the compression and stuff.. i think that will lower comp so you may need to shave the head and deck the block to get disired compression then cam it, and i wouldnt use the CFI manifold, flow s**t...

The big end of ALL the OHC I6 rods are the same size. yes the AU one are longer with a shorter piston.

the main bearings are larger in the AU engine.

putting an EB head on an AU bottom end will raise the compression. as by doing so you are effectively removing 14cc of combustion space. (eb piston vs. au piston)

yes the EB head flows the most air, it also has the LARGEST ports of the lot. a marginal loss of flow for a big reduction in port size will help produce more low and midrange power. and if we read back to the original few posts, he's looking for big mid range power.

peak flow and peak power is not the be all and end all.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2