Fordmods Logo

EF straight six > BMW E30? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EF straight six > BMW E30?
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF GLi 5 speed

NSW, Australia

my mate has a BMW E30 sitting at his house without a functioning engine. I got the idea that maybe with some firewall replacement, engine mount trickery and maybe a bonnet hump the 4.0 motor from my EF would fit in, and could be adapted to the BMW driveline with an adaptor plate.
I'd imagine this wouldnt be too hard to do; except for the fact the standard engine is canted at an angle. Could this be fixed by raising the bonnet height? And would it be possible to run triple side draught carbs on LPG?

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Yes I know it would alter the dynamics of the 3 series and raise the C.O.G but this would be bearable, and surely aftermarket shocks and bushes would fix it. Keep in mind the standard motor is a 2.0 litre six with a primitive Bosch L Jetronic injection system and the amount of torque the Ford motor has would make it a weapon. Also that this is a left field idea with a readily available engine ; that is probably smoother.

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

and how much has he got to spend to have it all road legal?
with the right amount of money i'm sure it would be possible...
but why? i'm sure that a cheaper option would be installing an engine from a later model beemer into it.. after you go playing with custom engine mounts, cutting, welding arround the engine bay, and then getting an engineer to tick it all off.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:49 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

im with mitch! as this would be easier and cheaper

although using a ford engine and gearbox would make the
adapation to the bmw drive line simpler but with a gas conversion included u are looking at a hell amount of work!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

blackjack_original wrote:
My mate just stole three SR20's from these civics, he reckons he can have one in your beemer just in time for race wars, for $7K straight up. Cash. You interested?

On a serious note, I have no idea how a ford 4L would go in a beemer. People shove all sorts of engines in there. LS1's and what not, but never have I seen a ford 6 in there. There are SR20 kits for e30 conversions that you can buy. It's probably the easiest conversion as that road is well travelled. I've also seen a few JZ conversions, and the JZ is similar in dimensions to the ford 4L, and they both have the exhausts on the same side making things a bit easier. Anything can be done. The question is what can you afford? In reality, I guess you won't know until you try it.
Well surely a Ford six is closer in configuration to original than an LS1 ; and the engine is pretty tall with the steel plenum in. I wil measure some dimensions and get back to you guys. Unless somebody knows the length and width dimensions for an EF six , or better still an E30 engine bay.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

SR20 conversion sounds good; but my mate can't drive turbo's (first car).

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

why would u want to put an EF engine in there, when there is an infinate amount of better engines that are able to be put in its place...and alot easier?

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

don't bother with the sr20 use a rb20 boost it up and vrrooom hisss.. I reakon measure the engine bay and them measure the falcon engine....

and go from there it is all about the power to weight ratio..... it could be done with a custom intake and custom extractors use the BMW rad and put a set of thermos on and a single thermo on the front etc

BMW EF40 sounds interesting lol

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

just slightly of topic ive noticed that TVR in england use 4.0 ltr inline sixes (3996 cc -- iirc) in their tuscan models. One puts out 450 bhp (tuscan R)!!! and revs to over 7000 rpm.... Imaging if you could chuck one in a Falcy... ZOMG!!!

enough isn't enough

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]