ef, strange behaviour 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: ef, strange behaviour
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hi all

Ive been having some issues with me ef recently and i'm running out of ideas as to what maybe causing it.
First off its idling and running a bit sloppy, then after it reaches operating temperature i majorly lose power, to the point reaching 60 kmh is a struggle.
Strangely if i kill the engine and start it again i get a couple more k's up the road before it starts again.
the latest issue is some serious run on. (turn off the ignition and the car continues to run)
and finally despite a new fuel pump and filter a couple of months ago the pump is making a hell of a whining noise.
I have tried a couple of simple things including:
fuel pump and filter as mentioned
air filter
new set of plugs
new coil pack (second hand but made zero difference so i'm assuming its not that)
im running it on premium with the odd injector treatment here and there

All i can come up with is sludge in the tank clogging pump and filter and the lack of fuel delivery causing the cylinders to carbon up causing the run on maybe? Am i on the right track here?
Or a blown head gasket crossed my mind but the symptoms don't add up to me?

So any thoughts lads? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: ef, strange behaviour
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

How does it continue to run? Ive herd of these cars running after the ignition is turned off if you have the foot on the brake, aparently its only if the car has a trailer plug, and its faulty or theres a short it will do it, dont know how tru this is tho,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

is it auto or manual?
possibly could be blocked fuel filter? or s**t in the tank. does your throttle open up fully?

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Its an automatic. I did check the throttle body and yes it does open up fine, i actuly drove it to the point where it loses power and then quickly took the piping off the throttle and twisted it by hand just to be sure and it opens but the engine just splutters.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

rough idle could be dirty throttle body.or ISC (idle speed controller) could be a ecu problem or something electrical as you said once u turn the engine off and wait a bit its fine. if the fuel pump is making loud noises id say something is wrong there. take out the fuel pump and have a look in the tank for dirt . did u buy the fuel pump brand new ??

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Yeah brand new but was off ebay so maybe that wasnt the best idea. where do i find the isc? cause the idle is quite eratic. Im think im gonna drop out the tank and clean it anyway but if anyone has any ideas or similar experiences to share please do!

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
How does it continue to run? Ive herd of these cars running after the ignition is turned off if you have the foot on the brake, aparently its only if the car has a trailer plug, and its faulty or theres a short it will do it, dont know how tru this is tho,

My understanding is its normal for the fuel pump to run for a bit when the ignition is off and im guessing pre ignition causes the fuel to keep igniting. Correct me if im wrong anyone

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

I would of thought once the key is off no more spark or fuel,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

isc is on top of the throttle body

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]