EF Thermo relay wiring 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF Thermo relay wiring
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Heh - well its for my car, but it's a general EF question so I thought i;d pop in and see the 6 cylinder guys.

So, looking at the wiring diagrams - looks like we have 4 relays controlling the 2 fans - with 4 wires coming from EEC to trigger these relays.

So for each fan - do we have 1 relay triggered = 1/2 speed, both relays triggered = full speed?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

If you use your wiring diagrams in conjunction with the doco http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=54 , you should be able to figure it out - the relay condition for the EF 3 mode system you'll see about 3 paras down on the first page. :lol:

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Tip top. Thanks mate - just what i was after (lol, 2 years on here... think i would have found it by now!!!!)

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

What the hell was Ford smoking when they came up with THAT?!?!?

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Tip top. Thanks mate - just what i was after (lol, 2 years on here... think i would have found it by now!!!!)
No probs, It's easy to forget some of the good stuff that is there. :D

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
What the hell was Ford smoking when they came up with THAT?!?!?
Yeah, pretty complicated, considering what it does.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

It just seems that Relay 4's sole purpose in life is to steal power from Fan 2, give it to Fan 1, so they both run at half speed....

Weird :shock:

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
It just seems that Relay 4's sole purpose in life is to steal power from Fan 2, give it to Fan 1, so they both run at half speed....Weird :shock:
Might be better with the 3 relay setup - sing out if you need a wiring diagram scan . . . . .

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I appreciate the offer!!

Should be OK tho. The fans/4 relays work OK... just thinking out aloud as to how I should run this all from a different ECU...

I figure i'll have 2 outputs from the ECU that i can use, so just have the fans come on at 1/2 speed up to a certain temperature and then have them both at full speed....

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:47 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: turbo

VIC, Australia

you can run a series of small relays to by-pass the standard ecu i have done it with mine so that when the temp reaches a preset temp the fans come on full.until then they are controled by standard ecu i got 2 small double pole double throw relays from d**k smith they worked well

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:48 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
I appreciate the offer!!
That's OK mate, I've gotten a lot out of FM, so I don't mind giving some back - All I need to do now is pull my finger out and donate.
4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Should be OK tho. The fans/4 relays work OK... just thinking out aloud as to how I should run this all from a different ECU...
Yeah I remember reading a few posts from you guys regarding aftermarket ECU's.
4.9 EF Futura wrote:
I figure i'll have 2 outputs from the ECU that i can use, so just have the fans come on at 1/2 speed up to a certain temperature and then have them both at full speed....
Yeah, all the std setup is, is basically a voltage divider cct, with the fans using 6v to run at half speed, then switching to 12v to run full speed. The EL EECV/XH EEC IV/V setup uses ECU pins 33 & 53.
Just a question a bit off topic, because I think you've answered this before: I take it the EEC IV ECU's in EBII - ED have this provision as well, it's just the feature wasn't programmed/enabled, that's why thermo conversions for those models either need an aftermarket setup, or to run EF/L or XH running gear for a plug and play setup??

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:35 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Fairmont

NSW, Australia

ef_jet wrote:
you can run a series of small relays to by-pass the standard ecu i have done it with mine so that when the temp reaches a preset temp the fans come on full.until then they are controled by standard ecu i got 2 small double pole double throw relays from d**k smith they worked well

Hi ef_jet, just wondering your reason for making the by-pass. Would it be possible for you to share a diagram of your by-pass set-up? A few members here, like me, are having problems with our EF's thermo fans...they just stop going full speed even though the engine is pretty hot and airconditioning on. So far, I haven't heard of any troubleshooting finds or solution yet...maybe your set-up would be a nice temporary fix. Thanks.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

is there a way to test if your thermo fans are runnign properly?

EDIT: found the answer in the EF - EEC V (EFI) Diagnostics at http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=52
Quote:
Electric Thermo Cooling Fan Test
This test will switch on the Thermo Fans when the Key On, Engine Off (KOEO) Self Test is performed.
To activate, carry out a KOEO Self test, and when the codes are being displayed, place the Transmission in to gear to turn the Thermo Fans On, and Place the Transmission into neutral to stop Fan operation.
If both fans do not operate, then there is a problem with their operation.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:31 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
is there a way to test if your thermo fans are runnign properly?
EDIT: found the answer in the EF - EEC V (EFI) Diagnostics at http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=52
Yep, it's also at the end of http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=54 .

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Just a question a bit off topic, because I think you've answered this before: I take it the EEC IV ECU's in EBII - ED have this provision as well, it's just the feature wasn't programmed/enabled, that's why thermo conversions for those models either need an aftermarket setup, or to run EF/L or XH running gear for a plug and play setup??

This is my understanding of it, but dont take it as gospel. I believe i've read elsewhere that EEC-IV is capable of running the fans, i think this is a feature on EEC-IVs from the USA and you'd probably need a tweecer to enable it on an aussie EEC.

I also think one of the EEC-IV utes had twin thermos (i.e. XG or XH s1) without the broadband manifold...

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
This is my understanding of it, but dont take it as gospel. I believe i've read elsewhere that EEC-IV is capable of running the fans, i think this is a feature on EEC-IVs from the USA and you'd probably need a tweecer to enable it on an aussie EEC.
Thanks for that.
4.9 EF Futura wrote:
I also think one of the EEC-IV utes had twin thermos (i.e. XG or XH s1) without the broadband manifold...
Yeah, all XH's had twin thermos, all models except XR6 are EEC IV, while XR6 is EEC V, and they run the EL 3 relay setup.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next