Fordmods Logo

EF to AU ENgine conversion. 

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA ute, FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

There were 2 options open to me, one - I believe the late model pre-AU fairmont motor (AU head with EL block and sump) as a straight swap) or modified K-Frame for AU motor (standard).

A lot of material has to be removed from the K-Frame to get this motor to fit, and once done will require appropriate re-enforcing. Consider this carefully when doing it yourself; As a low-weight, structually engineered component, its mechanical properties are derived through its geometry and metalurgical content/treatment - so as to provide strength and resist failure through fatigue. Consider re-enforcing front and back of the section, or adding a sufficiently stiff and spead-anchored sub-channel.

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Thanks MSPW,
Which route did you end up with? The ones done at narrellan I believe modify the KFrame, I would assume that its only the Lip that needs to be removed and seam welded, if its more than that then I would perfer to retain my old sump. Has anyone retained the EF sump in this conversion?

Regards
TW.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

dont be scared its only a kframe. there are plenty around if you stuff it up.

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

How much for a spare one?

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA ute, FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

Regards the K-frame, you will loose the lip and approx 30% of the diametre to gain sump clearance. I believe that due to the 4-bolt Main configuration of the AU motor, the sheet metal sump cannot surplant the origional cast one.
The boys at Narellan did my conversion. Perhaps at the time I expected the K-frame mod would need additional attention, but really I could not fault their method or workmanship. I believe the one they did for me was their first, I'm sure at this juncture their conversion process has been sufficiently refined.

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

twason wrote:
How much for a spare one?

just bring down a fist full of cash and your first born :lol: :lol:

nah just $150.

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

WA, Australia

As somebody who's done this to both an EB and several EF/ELs, why modify the K-frame?? All I did was remove the front rib from the AU sump and had no further difficulties. Everything else is the same EF to AU with the exception of the intake manifold - you will want to retain your old one as the AU one contains the MAP sensor.

1xEB with full EF Ghia interior and AU motor
1xXF with EF engine and full EF wiring. Now with milled AU head and Wade 1004 cam - damn she goes now!

Both sedans, both manual, both fast! The xfs quicker tho; one day I'll even take em down the strip :P

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG MK 2 XR6

WA, Australia

I am in Perth and currently have the oppurtunity to do the same to mine, AU series III into EF (I6). I have been told that the motor fits in easy enough (except for the K frame) but my main concern is all the bolt ons.

I know that the EF BBM will fit, I have been told my Extractors will fit which is good.

I have been told that the alternator mounts up a little different but the motor I am buying comes with the AU unit...damn shame as I have a big 3 month old Bosch Heavy Duty one on my current engine which is looking at become a dust colector in my garage.

How about Aircon compressor, water pump, thermo housing, gearbox join, etc. The motor I am getting comes with pretty much everything except for aircon compressor, is the Au and Ef compressor the same/mount the same??

Too many Fords and too much cash "invested" over the years.

New Project: Daily Cruiser, FG Mk 2 XR6 NA , headers, CAI, tuned, 238rwhp and counting.

Engine build in progress.....

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EFFALCONMAN
When are you starting your conversion, I am starting next weekend.
I will be able to give you a better idea then.

Cheers,
Tony.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

WA, Australia

It'll all mount up the same. The alternator is definitely different but a little bigger than the EF one anyway if memory serves - 110 amp instead of 100 though i dont remember the figures all that well. You will also find an issue with the lower gearbox supports in that on the AU they are part of the sump but on the EF they aren't. Don't worry about it, I didn't replace them on mine and about 5000 hard ks later there are no issues! You will of course find that you don't have a plug for the temp sensor in the back of the AU head - just use the EF thermostat housing. Or, wire up the plug if you want. It's in a much smarter spot anyway IMO :P

1xEB with full EF Ghia interior and AU motor
1xXF with EF engine and full EF wiring. Now with milled AU head and Wade 1004 cam - damn she goes now!

Both sedans, both manual, both fast! The xfs quicker tho; one day I'll even take em down the strip :P

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:51 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

twason wrote:
EFFALCONMAN
When are you starting your conversion, I am starting next weekend.
I will be able to give you a better idea then.

Cheers,
Tony.

I will be starting mine as soon as possible; the car is currently off the road as the EF engine has cooked (damn crappy cooling system). I need to replace/recondition my cooloing system at the same time, and currently I cant afford to do it.

Hopefully plan to start before Christmas, but she should definately be back on the road by first week of January.

New Project: Daily Cruiser, FG Mk 2 XR6 NA , headers, CAI, tuned, 238rwhp and counting.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EFFALCONMAN
Same time scale as me, perhaps we can exchange ideas along thwe way.

regards
Tony.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Can do, although I am hoping not too much goes wrong along the way. I am hoping for a straight up swap, no messing around.

The motor I am getting is coming with a modified K-frame, but at this stage I am just going to fit the EF sump, I replace my oil personally often enough to not require the higher volume unit, and I don't want to start messing with the structural integrity of my car.

My main concern about the swap is the Aircon compressor; do you know if both units are identical and mount the same way on EF-AU

The only other bummer is I have a crow cam in my EF motor. I think it would fit straight in to the AU motor, but I will wait till further down the track when I have the spare dosh to fit it.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Cross Breed

NSW, Australia

Hi mate how r u

I'v done this conversion 6 times now very simple proceedure
1. You must cut 50mm into the inside of the crossmember and replate it to restrenghen it. you can not use an ef sump for a number of reasons.
2. used an au alternator your plugs will match no problems that saves modifiying the brackets
3. use your ef injection harness so you computer will regester it no problems
4. you can used an au bell housing if you want to make it easier but you can use your one with an au sandwich plate and redrill the lower bell housing holes
5. you have to put the au motor on top dead center (tdc) and fit your suplemtry dizzy that an ef has.
6. fit your ef thermostate housing as it contains the temp sensor were as au temp sensor is at the back of the head
7. the rest is simple & straight forward but any questions give me a call on 0415 727 951

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

Mark do you know how to do this mod to the cross member whilst its out of the car or do you need to measure it up each time? By the sounds of things the AU bottom end isnt worth the hassle for the minor performance gain when you consider that the bell housing needs changing too. Why's this is the AU one longer?

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next