Fordmods Logo

ef transmission removed dont know what transmission it is? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: ef transmission removed dont know what transmission it is?
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1995 ef fairmont

VIC, Australia

hello im after some help im currently removing my auto transmission it the orig ef auto. ive scored another 1 and i thnk it el?

it doesnt have a dipstick just a bolt little bit back other then that it the same

other ? is bellhousing and torque converter the same

and other? how do you install the torque converter i understand the 3 clicks. but not shore if it in enof i snapped the last 1. the prongs on the end that slot in wasint on and when i went to bolt it on it bent them in so i had to get another 1 help would be great as im finishing it tomorrow so i can get to work monday

Post subject: Re: ef transmission removed dont know what transmission it is?
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:45 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Box is the same. BTR magic

I have a car.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:58 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Q) Hello im after some help im currently removing my auto transmission it the orig ef auto.

A) See Below

Q) I've scored another 1 and i thnk it el? It doesnt have a dipstick just a bolt little bit back other then that it the same.

A) Basically the BTR 4 speed auto is the same from EB through to the B series. There are some internal differences from earilier to late but they will all work. EB-ED-EF1 were fitted with a dipstick but from EFII they were replaced with what Ford called a sealed box, (what a load of s**t) removed the dipstick and fitted the side plug, similar to filling oil into a manual Gearbox or Diff. You could have a series II EF, EL, or AU auto.

Q) other ? is bellhousing and torque converter the same.

A) No. Bellbousing is the aluminium housing between the Motor and the Gearbox, same terminoligy for both manual and auto. Torque Convertor is the round donut shaped unit that bolts to the flex plate (Ring Gear) and slips into the gearbox. Actually you slip it into the gearbox, make ure it beds home, lift the gearbox up (Muscles) locate it and bolt the bellhousing to the motor and then bolt the torque convertor to the flex plate. Be carefull that you check that the torque convertor will slip over the end of the crank before fitting up. Have no actual proof of this but when I fitted up the trip box in mine I had a low K AU torque convertor which we tried to use. When we went to bolt up the convertor it was binding on the crank stub and we couldn't rotate the convertor at all, changed back to the convertor that cmae out with the old box and slipped up easy. There was a slight internal difference with the AU convertor and the EF. Who Knows.

Q) and other? how do you install the torque converter i understand the 3 clicks. but not shore if it in enof i snapped the last 1. the prongs on the end that slot in wasint on and when i went to bolt it on it bent them in so i had to get another 1 help would be great as im finishing it tomorrow so i can get to work monday.

A)Make sure it beds home when fitting to the auto.

Buy a workshop Manual, it will help alot. And listen to advice, not like some on here.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

SWC wrote:
Be carefull that you check that the torque convertor will slip over the end of the crank before fitting up. Have no actual proof of this but when I fitted up the trip box in mine I had a low K AU torque convertor which we tried to use. When we went to bolt up the convertor it was binding on the crank stub and we couldn't rotate the convertor at all, changed back to the convertor that cmae out with the old box and slipped up easy. There was a slight internal difference with the AU convertor and the EF. Who Knows.
I've also found out the hard way that the EF/L series torque converters are NOT interchangeable with other models. But I was trying to fit an EF convertor to an ED trans, I didn't know it was the same with the AU ones as well.

SWC wrote:
Buy a workshop Manual, it will help alot. And listen to advice, not like some on here.
BIG +1 there, a good workshop manual will save you a lot of headaches and improve your understanding of the car.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]