EF turbo running on 5 cylinders 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:12 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

bump

(cant give any input, interested in seeing what it turns out to be though)

USER BANNED

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

ACT, Australia

the tap is posibly caused by it not filling with oil, did they get replaced when you rebuilt it?? or are they they old ones as for the missing, do you no what cylender it is??? you could try disconnecting spark leads and see if it idles worse etc untill you find one that doesnt change if it unpluged or not, that will tell you which cylender it is that missing. then test that injector etc (sorry i dont no how to test them but im guessing that it is a 12VDC pulse from the ECU to get the injector to fire if that is the case, multi meter it from earth injector pins and see what it reads.

other thought that crossed my mind, sure its the engine??? transmission slipping under load perhaps??? i doubt that from the symptoms but possible

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EBII XR6

VIC, Australia

i actually had the same thing happen to my car, its turbo as well. would idle generally fine, but as soon as i drove it with only slight load it would noticably miss on no2 cylinder.
It turned out to be the fuel filter, it wasnt blocked but was very very dirty, the fuel that came out of it was dark and close to black, not good lol.
As soon as it was changed i noticed an improvement but was still missing, took it for a drive nd it slowly got better and better till it was fine again.
so the dirty fuel must have either partially blocked the injector or fouled the plug.

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: anything with a engine

QLD, Australia

Did you check all the lifters where in the correct way. When I recently changed a head gasket I put one of the lifters back up side down and was very noisy :oops: . Fliped it over and it was all good.

As for the miss. Maybe the cylinder with the higher compression is blowing the spark out. Have you tried reducing your plug gaps? Are you still running on the factory ecu or have you switched over to the megasquirt?

For Sale; EF Plug and Play Megasquirt ECU Package. Includes ECU, adaptor loom, base tune, software.

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

i replaced the cylinder 3 exhaust lifter and started up can and drove it around trying to build oil pressure to make the ticker go away and didn't work so on the way home a got really p****d off with the car i cained the lifter out of it on a straight boosted hard after boosting it to slow down it was fixed no ticker and smooth as anything again im guessing i got a block on my rocker assembly oil gallerys so ill be replacing the rocker assembly and see how i go from there

thx for your help

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

yer they need a good flogging to pump up.
i remember when i overhauled the racks and thought i stuffed them n donne the same thing.... gave it a good load up n it went away.

you can test the injectors the same way as described previously for the spark plugs (removing one by one)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EA Falcon & G220 Lane

WA, Australia

have you bled the lifters?

should soak em in oil for good 12-24hrs before fitting always done this myself and never had problem.

4.0lt Balanced Bottom End, ACL Race Internals, Rspec4 Cam, BPT Swichchip, PH4480, 2.5' Lukey, Scorcher Bodykit, T5 Manual
237RWHP

frd906 wrote:
LOLLOLLOLLOLOLLOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Forget the lifters and concentrate on the cylinder with 50 extra psi.There must be a mechanical issue to have that much difference.A rooted lifter wouldnt make it miss ,or run on 5 cylinders, Wasnt that the original problem?

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Post subject: Re: EF turbo running on 5 cylinders
Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EA Falcon S Pac

NSW, Australia

i just got my MPI EA Falcon back from a mechanic with a similar problem it was missing really badly, he checked everything and everything was fine, he had to repair some of the injectors as they had bassically fallen apart, he checked the plugs, leads, head gasket, dizzy etc and it was all fine, after doing the injectors he said he started it up and it went fine so he took it for a quick drive but a short time after it warmed up a little the miss was back.

He then checked the rockers and found that due to wear and lack of oil changes from the previous owner (i got it with 265k ks, and now its at 300k) that the exhaust rocker on the first cylinder wasnt working properly and wasnt allowing the exhaust valve to close properly, and that the best thing to do was to completly replace the rocker gear which i have been looking into, i can get new exhaust rockers from Ford for $106 each but no intake rockers, the wreckers had some for $150 for the lot, but ive found some on ebay for $80 inc postage or add another $100 for new hydraulic lifters (searched for Falcon rockers).

He basically said that the alloy rocker were badly damaged and need to be replaced as they wernt letting the valves close properly, not sure if this will cause a miss or not.

Hopefully that is the problem with mine i realy dont want to spend all this money to have the same problem.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2