Fordmods Logo

ef will not stay running! need help asap 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: ef will not stay running! need help asap
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1987 telstar/2004 BA XR6 5spd

NSW, Australia

hey guys, this morning i noticed the rpm on my futura would rise and drop a fair bit, got it home this arvo and motor died, started it back up again and it was fine, went for a little drive and then it died while i was driving twice, got it home again and now it wont even stay running unless i use throttle??????

Post subject: Re: ef will not stay running! need help asap
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

misskitten9871 wrote:
hey guys, this morning i noticed the rpm on my futura would rise and drop a fair bit, got it home this arvo and motor died, started it back up again and it was fine, went for a little drive and then it died while i was driving twice, got it home again and now it wont even stay running unless i use throttle??????

Hi There
I would start with checking all the vacuum hoses going to your motor and the hose on your rocker cover going to the valve I thinks its called the PVC valve..its near the oil filler cap even the one going to your brake booster. I hope I have helped

Cheers
Luc

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford EF Fairmont 1996

NSW, Australia

I've had similar problems with mine a while back! And i've also heard about how it can sometimes be casued by the crank angle sensor, or cam angle sensor (one or the other)

My old EF engine had a lot of problems and you could litterally hit the sensor under the BBM and it would be fine!

But not sure if that could be the problem.

Mark

Lucion wrote:
misskitten9871 wrote:

Hi There
I would start with checking all the vacuum hoses going to your motor and the hose on your rocker cover going to the valve I thinks its called the PVC valve..its near the oil filler cap even the one going to your brake booster. I hope I have helped

Cheers
Luc

I'de rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:21 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

well i did find a cracked plastic connecter that sits on the BBM, the PCV valve connects to it. iv coverd it in epoxy e6000 glue to try and seal it back up, it dosnt have to be a permanent fix as im getting a new motor put in on the weekend, just need the motor running, i also took the top half of the BBM off and found a large amount of oil in it, i assume that isnt normal, i also replaced fuel injectors with some AU ones...gonna test fuel pump and coil pack tomorrow...

you can see the pooled oil in these pics

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:47 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

hey guys, today i replaced the throttle body sensor with no luck, the only way we could keep the motor running was to increase the idle speed..although it is still idleing at the normal speed...it's almost like not enough air is getting to the motor

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]